I am not a shopaholic

Triple Treat Tour Day 1 , Part 1 : Statue of Liberty

The previous day is HERE

Due to total photo overload I will split today into

Part 1 : Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
Part 2: Wall Street, Brooklyn Bridge and Julianas

Here is part 1 ...

Sunday 3 July

It was a bit of a restless night for me with the noisy aircon and a totally annoying cough that kept waking me up

Its also true when they say it’s the City never Sleeps

It was so noisy

We live in the country – there is no road noise – so we always have to adjust to some noise when we go away – but this really was a city alive all night – mainly sirens !

The bed was very comfy. I fell asleep last night around 10pm and woke up at 1am.

Ugh

I thought it was like breakfast time.

I dozed off and woke at 4 and at 4.30 gave up

Andy went to get a coffee from the breakfast service area .

We sat and watched the news in bed – Good morning New York took on a whole new aspect – so different when you are there

At just before 7 we went back to the breakfast area and just grabbed a couple of pastries and some juice on our way to meet the boys

Who were almost ready – so not bad going.

We were out the hotel at 0715 and walked a few minutes to 28th Street to get the R train to Whitehall Street

An engineer was fixing the metro card machine and we learned that you can only buy 2 cards with one credit card – oh dear, we need 5 and only have one card plus cash on us – but he was fixing the cash machine.

He showed us how to get the first two cards ( 7 day unlimited) and then allowed the teens through with no card – we just bought them at the other end.

I read this beginners guide on the subway – in fact I studied it several times.

It really helped. I felt pretty confident that I could get us around.

My only hiccup was the next day on the bank holiday timetable.

I do recommend it
nycsubwayguide/subway/

A bit blurry – they were rat spotting …

We didn’t see one , anywhere

Some of the stations had beautiful mosaic tiling

We arrived at 0745 and were helpfully directed around the corner – head for the flag basically is what we were told.

We passed this on the way

WE walked along Battery Park – only to be directed back to the end of the very long line that we had walked passed

We wrongly assumed these people were queuing for tickets

No

They were queuing for security

So I was a bit twitchy as it was around 0800 now and our booking was for 0830 – and the line did not appear to be moving with pace

Past the naval memorial

Omg , queuing faces

We carried shuffling along around past the old castle

As we had a timed ticket we did get separated out near the end which propelled us to the front of the security line – all airport style – and we just made the second 0830 boat.

Let the amazing views begin

The teens had their sea legs on

Views as we pulled away

The building right at the front looks like a lego model next to the others

The Staten Island Ferry

Coming in to Liberty Island

See how I got the statue parked on top of the boat – complete fluke !

Its definitely worth being on the early boat to get up onto the viewing areas before it gets busy . It was bad enough as it was !

We had pedestal tickets – only the 195 steps then

OMG

My knees hurt

My calves hurt

My toes hurt

And I go up and down the escalators on the Tube all the time

This was something else

And poor Nick only just came out of hospital !

Just the 45 still to go – and no oxygen or a St Bernard with brandy in sight

It was great at the top – very narrow to pass though

Edited at 09:52 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 16, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

The exhibit area was really interesting

We had a walk around the grounds

And checked our phones

And went for a drink and quick snack – they had a jazz trio playing , it was lovely

I had one of these

It was lovely – then I looked at the sugar content

By 0945 it was already much busier so we hopped on the waiting boat to Ellis Island

Heading here

And in here

It was really interesting

There is a lot to read

The three teens do not have a propensity to read a lot

They had enough within about 10 minutes

But we wandered around and I think we would go back to do it more justice

My cough was really troubling now and it was starting to hurt each time I coughed – I think I was a bit dehydrated as well despite the pure sugar I just drunk a little while earlier

I did look up here through professional interest

It had so much detail Andy and I spent the boat journey back comparing what snippets of information we had picked up – really interesting

We were on the boat back to Battery Park just before 11

Part 2 is HERE

Edited at 03:04 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 16, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker's Fluff
Imagineer

It's so lovely to see all of your pictures.
I am sat here saying we did that, we saw that.
The little signs on the way up to the pedestal don't really help, I was looking at them on my way up thinking it said that last time. Some of my favourite holiday pictures are the ones from the boat looking back to the skyline, also the ones of Liberty from an angle looking up. We did this on our first day too, it just felt like one of the most iconic New York things to do, we then went to One World. Incredible...
Can't wait for the second half of today's report.
We have about 140 ish days to go now until we return, can't wait.

1997/1998 Quality Inn.2006 Villa.2007&2008Fairfield
2013 LBV Resort and Spa 2015 Sheraton Times Sq.NY.
2016 Barcelo Teguise Beach 2016 Trump Int Toronto
2016 Xmas in NY.2018 LBV Resort And Spa 2019 Croatia Venice and Boston
Beaker's Fluff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 16, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Gutted we missed the exhibit! Best part of the holiday for me was the crown! Looking forward to reading more x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 16, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Wow! Up and out by 7.15! Teens! You have magic powers!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 16, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Fab start to your first day. Can't believe the size of the queues at that time in the morning Amazing views, and it sounds like a really interesting morning.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 16, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Tubbsy
Very Serious Dibber

Lovely start - love the way you write - following along with interest as my 21 year old approached the subject of "Mbe we could do New York" if we ever get back so I am gleaming information. I'm going to send her the subway guide link as shes our resident satnav!
And I am sooooo tempted by packing cubes!

Edited at 07:43 AM.
Tubbsy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 16, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
SammyScotland
Imagineer

Loving the photos, Amanda. They are bringing back such fond memories. Looking forward to part 2.
Old 31 Jul 16, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Great morning, we are doing SOL on our first morning and DH is going up to the crown
Old 31 Jul 16, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Beaker's Fluff View Post
It's so lovely to see all of your pictures.
I am sat here saying we did that, we saw that.
The little signs on the way up to the pedestal don't really help, I was looking at them on my way up thinking it said that last time. Some of my favourite holiday pictures are the ones from the boat looking back to the skyline, also the ones of Liberty from an angle looking up. We did this on our first day too, it just felt like one of the most iconic New York things to do, we then went to One World. Incredible...
Can't wait for the second half of today's report.
We have about 140 ish days to go now until we return, can't wait.
Hi Klare, thats fab when it brings back memories ¬
Lol, I took some arty angle shots - when i sent the photo links to my parents they thought my "arty" pic of the flame was a teapot
We didnt do OWO , just too much to fit in - always good to have something to go back for.
Very envious of the countdown

Originally Posted by princess_chazy View Post
Gutted we missed the exhibit! Best part of the holiday for me was the crown! Looking forward to reading more x
Ah, shame about the exhibit - we missed it on the way up and caught it as we were going out ! There is so much to fit in isnt there

Originally Posted by caj View Post
Wow! Up and out by 7.15! Teens! You have magic powers!
Yes , its called " I can withdraw the american plug adaptors at any time " They were very good getting up - it was getting out that was the problem

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Fab start to your first day. Can't believe the size of the queues at that time in the morning Amazing views, and it sounds like a really interesting morning.
I had seen lots of advice to get there early - I thought 0800 for the 0830 would be plenty early - I guess with it being so close to 4 July it was just extra busy everywhere

Originally Posted by Tubbsy View Post
Lovely start - love the way you write - following along with interest as my 21 year old approached the subject of "Mbe we could do New York" if we ever get back so I am gleaming information. I'm going to send her the subway guide link as shes our resident satnav!
And I am sooooo tempted by packing cubes!
Thank you ! That subway guide really helped me - along with google map screen shots . The city guide book was also brilliant .
And packing cubes - they are just an essential

Originally Posted by SammyScotland View Post
Loving the photos, Amanda. They are bringing back such fond memories. Looking forward to part 2.
Sam, so pleased it brings back happy times for you ! Its been lovely to re live those first few days this weekend - we had such a great time

Originally Posted by P&S View Post
Great morning, we are doing SOL on our first morning and DH is going up to the crown
It worked for us as we were still on UK time - all the crown tickets had gone when i booked - not sure we could have coped - but it does look pretty cool !