Old 23 May 15, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
bearandbuzz
Apprentice Imagineer

bearandbuzz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
If it ain't broke, don't fix it trip!

Here's a BIG hello from me!

Im Kirsty, chief planner and first time trip reporter, so please forgive me if this is a little rough around the edges - ill try to get better I promise!

Going away with me is my dh, Steve and my two boys, Ethan & Alistair.

and my parents

We have been lucky enough to go away to Disney together as a group of six 2 times previously, then last year myself, Steve & the boys went alone. We had a wonderful, but different experience going it alone and knew while we were away that next time we went mum & dad would be desperate to go back with us. You could say we have been planning this trip since we arrived home from our last trip!

(Just a note to add - I'm planning on doing a trip report for last year, probably during the summer holidays as its looking likely Ill need an op so I want something to occupy me!)

Anyway, back to this trip - its called the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!' trip because we have made the decision to leave things that we could do around the house (new bathroom, Kitchen, decorating etc) in order to fund our Disney habit. We are very much going by the philosophy of making the memories while we can, its not about the objects we have - its all about the memories. This is something that we feel quite strongly about, we even have this sign in our living room:

Without going into too much detail, as a family we have had several life changing events happen to us and others around us. We believe that ultimately it's the memories that keep you going when times are tough, not the material things. Therefore we are trying to build happy memories that will last a lifetime and these disney holidays are, to us, more important than 'stuff'. Don't get me wrong, the house isn't falling apart round our ears or anything - its just probably not as fantastic as it could be if we used our Disney money for other things instead!

So hopefully you know a little bit about us, back to the plan...

After we came back last year and raved about how wonderful Wilderness lodge was, we decided that as soon as the free dining came about we would book two weeks for summer 2016 at WL.

Sure enough, we booked on 30th April. Two woods view rooms, one with bunk beds. Im pleased the memory maker is now included in the deal as we we're planning on getting it anyway. Im not bothered about loosing Disney Quest as a perk as Ive only been there once and found it too claustrophobic for my liking.

Now for the long wait until October so we can book our flights. We want to fly VA because between us we have enough flying club points to use miles + money to upgrade to PE.

First (and Im sure not the last) blip in the plan: Oh No! Ive just found out about the planned building works at WL, which starts this September and doesn't finish until 2017. PANIC! Do we stay, do we move? Oh I don't know! PANIC, PANIC, PANIC! ... Oh OK maybe I didn't panic that much, but it really bothered me. Im a bit of a strange one, I don't mind if a plan doesn't come together as I can easily adapt at the time, but I also am a worrier - I often lay awake at night thinking over various things and trying to sort them out in my head. Then once Ive made a decision I like to get it all sorted so I know I can rest. My dilema is that Steve really, really wants to stay at WL, but I'm not so sure - we have so many happy memories from last year there and this will be mum & dads first time staying there. I don't want to ruin their memories if its anything less than perfect (you know what its like when you think something is the best thing since sliced bread and someone else doesn't feel the same - you just want to show them how fantastic it is and can't bear it if they are negative about it? Or is it just me ?)
Anyway, after discussions and 'emergency ' meetings we decided that we would change to the Beach Club with a garden room. It only cost an extra £120 for us so for the peace of mind its worth it. Im very excited as Ive wanted to stay in the Epcot area for a while. The boys are mega excited because of Stormalong Bay, which they have seen from a distance and oozed over, but have never played there. Mum and dad are excited, but then they are happy to be with us wherever that is, Steve is ... work in progress!

So here we are, patiently(ish) waiting. Im reading every trip report I can get my grubby little hands on, drooling over every food report I see and generally mentioning Disney once a day - which isn't too obsessive... is it?

Any updates I will link here -
Update 1
Update 2

Thanks for reading
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wd038wdw2014234111889332_7040892083_18.jpg
Views:	2714
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	61226   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1753.jpg
Views:	2685
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	61227  

Our magic moment as Grand Marshall's in 2013
WL August 2014 The solo(ish) trip - August 2014
BC August 2016 If it ain't broke, don't fix it - August 2016
Villa 2018 - A change of scene - August 2018

Edited at 07:26 AM.
bearandbuzz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 15, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Capt Wilko
Trying for More Ears

Beach Club sounds amazing so I'm sure you made the right decision to change your booking from WL.

I'm with you on the theory that family holidays are precious as they build special memories which last a lifetime.

I made the decision to go away this summer even though I need a new kitchen, but the house will still be here when I'm not (at least I hope it won't fall down)!

Looking forward to reading your report from last summer.
Old 23 May 15, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Welcome to the world of trip report writing! Great start, and you sound very similar to us, two boys, my parents come away with us, went without them last year and so are going back with them this year to show them the new things we've done. No Disney for us though as the boys are now older and have outgrown it (for a while, hopefully we'll be back! )

Also, one of my biggest mottos (mentioned in an earlier trippy) is 'bank memories not money'. That's in its simplest form, but I feel you are on the same wavelength with that one

We've never stayed on site at Disney, but if we did I think I would choose Beach Club, at least definitely one of the Epcot resorts.

Good luck with your op if you do have to have it, and I'll look forward to seeing your report pop up

Edited at 08:27 AM.
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 15, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
bearandbuzz
Apprentice Imagineer

bearandbuzz's Reviews
Thanks for your lovely comments.
Actually Jo, your report from last year is one of the ones that inspired me to write my own as I read yours because you went last year at about the same we did. I noticed too the similarities between your Adam & Daniel and my Ethan & Alistair ( who will be 11 & 9 by the time we go next year).
We are thinking this will more than likely be the last year onsite for us as the boys will probably want to focus more on US, IOA etc. we are giving that a miss again this time as neither boy is a massive coaster fan - they are more into swimming. I loved your report about Clearwater, maybe one day we will also do a split stay with the beach etc. perhaps following in your footsteps!

bearandbuzz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 15, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
bearandbuzz
Apprentice Imagineer

bearandbuzz's Reviews
It's half term - I work in a school, so you will see a correlation between my updates and school terms!
I realised that after my initial intro and details of the accommodation debacle, I haven't actually said anything about our plans.
As we are staying onsite I am keen to keep as much onsite as possible, as we did last year.
However, there will be a trip to Discovery Cove (my two boys are in fact fish, too long out of the water and they will suffer )

A visit to Kennedy Space Centre is a definite. We last did this as a family in 2011, when Endeavour was on the stand awaiting take off (didn't see a launch though). The boys and dad went back in 2013 but mum and I missed that one out. Now everything has changed we are looking forward to going again. Im looking forward to comparing a photos to these beauties!

The only other offsite plan will be to the Mall, on the way back from KSC. Apart from this will will be wrapped up in the Disney bubble.

We have made the decision to miss US and IOA again this year. We last went in 2013 and I was put off by the crowds. Despicable Me had not long opened so we queued of that, arrived before opening and got straight in the queue (which wasn't even moving as the ride hadn't opened yet). 2 hours later we finally got on ! that set the president for the rest of the day really and our repeat trip didn't fare much better, I think over a total of 2 days we managed only 4 rides in total and we left feeling drained, ratty and dispondent.
After reading the wealth of information on the dibb, I know I want to stay in HRH with FOLP and early hours next time we go so we can really enjoy ourselves. So we will just have to arrange another trip in the future to do this, more than likely staying in a villa with a couple of nights in the hotel.

Anyway, I think I went a little off tangent there so back to the plan.
Places we want to eat:
BOG- we had lunch and dinner there last year and loved it. The salmon was amazing.
Chef Mickeys - ate here for the first time last year, we had our very first meal here on our first day, then walked to MK. This is something we simply MUST do again as it added magic to the day.
Tusker House - its become a tradition to eat breakfast there but we are going to break all the rules and try a lunch/dinner instead!
Sci-Fi diner - ate here for the first time and the boys immediately said how much Grandpa would love it, so we just have to take Grandpa this time.
Teppan Edo - quite simply one of the best eating experiences I have ever had. All 4 of us have this high on our favourite list.
T-Rex cafe - Now Im not fussed over going back again, we have eaten in here 3 times now and Im over it, but apparently its the boy's holiday too so Im grudgingly popping it on the list.

Im sure there are more as I have enough on my list to last a lot more than the 14 days we are here also mum and dad will get a choice too (see its not ALL about me!). Im fully expecting to have a list that I can whittle down to ensure everyone is happy (watch out T-Rex, Im coming to get you )

A first for us last year was a trip to Beaches and Creams for a Kitchen Sink. Dad looked a little jealous when he saw this photo so we simply have to take him there again, especially as we are staying at Beach club - its a sign!

On that note I will leave the planning here as Im getting Disney hunger pains!
I will update more soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PTDC0050.jpg
Views:	1043
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	61317   Click image for larger version

Name:	PTDC0186.jpg
Views:	1033
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	61318   Click image for larger version

Name:	PTDC0095.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	61319   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5788.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	61320   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5789.jpg
Views:	1108
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	61321  

Name:	Image 22.08.2014 18.32.42 1120.jpg
Views:	1061
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	61322  

Edited at 08:11 AM.
Old 7 Aug 15, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
jorm35
slightly serious Dibber

I too work in a school so am tied to the expensive, busier time of the summer holidays. That said, we don't know any different! We are booked for next year for our 4th trip and I am planning already - got flight, villa, car, tickets all sorted already and have a list of restaurants I want to book when adr window opens (26 January! ).
Ou previous trips have consisted of
1. 11 of us for 3 week ( my sister and her family + hubby's sister and her family)
2. 7 of us for 2 weeks ( us 5 + sister and nephew)
3. Us 5 for 2 weeks with 4 days crossover with in laws - not in same villa!
Next year, like you, we have put house renovations on hold ( who really needs an en suite?) to go back for 3 weeks. We had such a great time last year without having to bother worrying about pleasing others and fitting everyone else's plans in. Plus the kids were that bit older and didn't need so much 'watching'. Our youngest - 7 last year - didn't need us in the pool every time as her swimming confidence was much better. She was happy to play with her brothers and as long as one of us was poolside ( reading, relaxing etc) everyone was happy.
Don't you find though that those who've never been and haven't got the Disney bug think we are mad going back time and time again? I was once like that but now I think we'll be going forever - although certainly not every year, unless the numbers come up on the lottery!
Looking forward to hear how your plans are coming on x
jorm35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 15, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Great plans, I would love to stay at the Beach Club!

Its a shame you didn't have any luck at US / IOA, it would definitely be worth you booking a stay at one of the hotels next trip to get the FOLP.

We are giving the Kitchen sink a go this year! I can't wait
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 15, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
redscouse2
Excited about Disney

Hi , loving your pre trip report. We will be there 4 days after you , staying at port Orleans riverside , it will be my 15 th trip , dh 12 th trip and my ds 5 th trip ( he will be 6 when we travel. )
We have stayed at corando springs and Caribbean beach in previous years so looking forward to POR.
Just waiting for October to book our flights, fingers crossed PE both ways using our miles !
Hope you have a fantastic holiday
redscouse2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 16, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
bearandbuzz
Apprentice Imagineer

bearandbuzz's Reviews
Me again, time for a little update as its been a while.
Firstly I must say - Happy New Disney Year! These were the words we all said to each other at the beginning of the year yesterday, oh it feels good to say "this year we are off to disney "

Since I last updated I have managed to get more things sorted.
Flights have been booked, Virgin PE each way - Steve is particularly excited about this due to his long legs and inability to sleep on the way home. He thinks this will be the answer to all his problems, personally I think UC will solve all my problems, but Im not sure the budget will stretch to that
Im pleased with the price we paid with Virgin, after a long (2 hour) phone call to Virgin I managed to collate all our points and buy reward flights for me and miles plus money flights for everyone else. My only fear is that they are booked under two references as the reward flights can't go under the same flight ref as the others. Im sure it'll be fine, especially as Ive been told they have added comments to the bookings saying they are linked, but on paper it looks like Im a solo traveller so fingers crossed I don't get bumped (unless its to UC, then bump away!)

Ive booked the hilton for the night before we fly and managed to make use of the holiday extras price guarantee. We need a family room and a normal room and I couldn't believe it when I checked prices and on Hilton's website the family room was coming up about £15 cheaper than on holiday extras. I made the booking via holiday extras for both rooms and sent an email with screen prints of the price differences and within a couple of days received an email saying they had approved the full refund - Im not sure if they mean the cost of both rooms (as I booked them together) or the cost of just the family room (as this was the room which was cheaper), as Ive looked on their website and it does say its for the individual room only, but whatever it is, it will be a bonus. We won't get the refund until we actually stay there though so it'll be a welcome treat for when we get home!

Discovery Cove has been booked, thanks to a wonderful post on here giving a link to discounted prices. Seeming as we were going to book anyway it was a godsend to see our prices come down by $300 dollars! We have also booked the celebration package, which we wanted to do anyway but with the saving we made it seemed like all the signs were telling us we must book it! We really enjoyed using the cabana as time specifically the 'bar". As my mum isn't a swimmer we wanted to make sure she had a decent base so she can relax with her kindle and be waited on hand and foot.

The other trip we want to make is to Kennedy Space Centre, Ive looked into buying tickets in advance but have decided to wait until the day and buy on the gate. Ive signed the adults up to a NASA passporthttp://www.visitnasa.com/nasa-passport-to-explore-space , Ive not heard about it before but it looks as though you get discounted tickets on the gate so Im keen to give it a try! We would love to do one of the tours that takes you up to the launch pad, we watched a video on you tube about it and it looks awesome!

Ive not booked a car yet, we definitely want one and am looking to pick it up on our first full day, from the Dolphin hotel. It will work out well as Steve and dad can wander down there on our first afternoon while I stay with the boys by the pool. Ive been checking the prices and you just can't beat Alamo Brits so Ill be booking that shortly.

Steve and I have also drafted an itinerary based on the ADRs we want to book. Ive checked out the EMH on the park hours thread and although its not got to August yet, Ive based our days on the July hours as I seem to remember they are the same.

The Adrs we want are:
Chef Mickeys (breakfast)
Cape May (dinner)
Sci-fi (dinner)
T-Rex (dinner) - Ive not managed to convince them to drop this yet, but Im working on them as I would love to do Splitsville - shhhh!
Teppan Edo (dinner)
Ohana (dinner and breakfast)
Be Our Guest (dinner)
Mama Melrose / Hollywood & Vine (fantastic package dinner) - any thoughts about Hollywood & Vine? we've done Mama Melrose and enjoyed it but Im always up for a change.
50's Prime Time (dinner)
Tusker House (breakfast & dinner)
Captains Grille (dinner)
Sanna (dinner for Steve & I)
Garden Grill (dinner for mum, dad & boys)

We've kept some of our old favourites and added a few new ones in there, for instance we've always done breakfast at tusker and really enjoy it, but each time we're there we say how we'd like to try dinner so this time have both.
We are giving Ohana's another try as I didn't enjoy it last time, but Steve did and he thinks my dad will enjoy it. I want to meet Lilo and Stich so also want to breakfast there.
Haven't done 50's Prime time so looking forward to that, we think dad would love sci-fi so couldn't drop that one either.

Its all coming together now, our next big date is February, when I can actually book the ADR's. Yay

Old 2 Jan 16, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hi. Your plans sound great so far. Did you ever write a tr for your last trip?

We too usually go with family but are having our first trip with just the kids in oct. First time on DDP too! All exciting. We can make adrs in April.

Look forward to keeping up with your plans
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List