Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 12 Jan 16, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
miamivice
Excited about Disney

Is there anything left open? (August 2015) - Day 6 - Animal Kingdom / Trails End / Magic Kingdom

17th August 2015 - Animal Kingdom / Trails End / Magic Kingdom

Helen was up at 5.45am and straight in to the shower. I waited until about 6.55.

After showers etc and while we all went for breakfast. We all didn't fancy anything heavy, so we agreed on just cereal and coffee/fanta. The Artists Palette was like everywhere else - busy, but I was quickly through as I knew what I wanted and how to use my 3 snack credits.

DSC00688 by D Gill, on Flickr

We were finally out of the room at 8.50, but there was every bus coming except for AK. You could feel a bit of tension and frustration at the bust stop as everyone saw a 2nd bus for magic kingdom and the studios come past but nothing for AK.

The cast member who was monitoring the buses was also feeling the pressure and you could see him start to move further and further away as disgruntled guests kept asking him the same question.

DSC00689 by D Gill, on Flickr

Finally an AK bus pulled up and everyone at the stop got up. as I looked in I could see that it was already quite full, and I was just about to grab them both and push to front when I saw another AK bus pull up. Because we hadn't moved we were the first on the second bus.

We were a bit later than we had planned for by the time we had got to AK. From Saratoga, the AK bus stops at Blizzard Beach so that added a bit more time on. We didn't stop for a photopass photo but I did take the usual cheeky photo at the entrance to AK.

20150817_093059 by D Gill, on Flickr

Once inside we headed straight to Expedition Everest. It had been our plan to ride it once, then use our fastpass, but it was busy, and we were late so we just used the fastpass.

IMG_2934 by D Gill, on Flickr
IMG_2935 by D Gill, on Flickr

Ryan enjoyed this, especially how fast it went.

As the window to our fastpass had only just opened, this meant that there was quite a while before the next one opened.

DSC00697 by D Gill, on Flickr

It wasn't the best of days, but I did fancy riding Kali River Rapids. This was obviously a no from Helen, and Ryan was less than forthcoming, but after we had bought him a poncho and a pair of flip flops he reluctantly agreed to come on with me.

DSC00699 by D Gill, on Flickr
IMG_2942 by D Gill, on Flickr

We didn't get wet, just barely splashed. This ride is not like Popeye where you have no chance, here you can be lucky/unlucky depending on your preference.

As I said Ryan was reluctant, but he did enjoy it.

DSC00702 by D Gill, on Flickr

We had a fastpass for the safari next, but enough time to slowly walk there before our window opened.

We got Ryan an ice cream as we walked, but we had to help hurry him along as it was so hot the ice cream was melting very quickly.
DSC00704 by D Gill, on Flickr

The safari itself was ok - I have been on better, but sometimes the animals just don't want to come out, so I do accept that.

DSC00711 by D Gill, on Flickr
DSC00712 by D Gill, on Flickr
DSC00721 by D Gill, on Flickr
DSC00726 by D Gill, on Flickr

Following a quick toilet stop we went straight to Pizzafari to get there before the usual lunchtime crowds. We all shared a pepperoni and meat feast pizza, using 2 quick service credits and all that comes with it.

IMG_2973 by D Gill, on Flickr
DSC00733 by D Gill, on Flickr
IMG_2976 by D Gill, on Flickr
IMG_2977 by D Gill, on Flickr

Festival of the Lion King was next. We did have a fastpass, but as it was we would have been there early enough to get in anyway.

DSC00727 by D Gill, on Flickr
DSC00729 by D Gill, on Flickr
DSC00738 by D Gill, on Flickr

The show was as good as ever.

DSC00748 by D Gill, on Flickr
DSC00753 by D Gill, on Flickr
2017 - The hunt for Baymax August 2017 - Pre-trip
miamivice is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 16, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
miamivice
Excited about Disney

We now had time for another attraction and decided on its tough to be a bug. As we walked towards it we passed Dug and Russell so stopped for a photo.

IMG_2991 by D Gill, on Flickr
DSC00769 by D Gill, on Flickr

There was about a 15 minute wait for Dug before we then continued onto its tough to be a bug.

IMG_2993 by D Gill, on Flickr
IMG_3001 by D Gill, on Flickr

DSC00774 by D Gill, on Flickr
DSC00780 by D Gill, on Flickr

Ryan was not a fan of this either, and it was a long time since we had seen it, although I did remember the wasps and the bugs leaving I had forgotten about the spiders.

A quick couple of photopass shots as we made our way to the exit.

AK_AFRICABRIDGE_7431169432 by D Gill, on Flickr
AK_BRDGTOP_7431306832 by D Gill, on Flickr
AK_BRDGTOP_7431302222 by D Gill, on Flickr

We then decided upon a quick drink in the Rainforest Cafe to cool off and relax.

DSC00786 by D Gill, on Flickr
DSC00789 by D Gill, on Flickr
DSC00793 by D Gill, on Flickr

Bus back to resort where we was greeted by a big surprise from our friend and fellow dibber StitchinTime. She knew we hadn't had the best of time in the build up to the holiday so she wanted to cheer us up with a present from Disney Floral.

DSC00797 by D Gill, on Flickr

The embroided bag included a bottle of champagne, a chocolate and some haunted mansion glasses.

DSC00799 by D Gill, on Flickr

we were both very happy about receiving this, and it was a very generous It was all very lovely, and I would like to say thanks again to StitchinTime.

After the excitement of opening the gift we had to rush to get ready to be out again for our dinner reservation at Trails end. This was on the recommendation of xAimeex who's trip reports Helen had been reading and enjoying.

We caught the bus from Saratoga to the Magic Kingdom, and then just missed a boat to the Campground. 15 minutes later we were sat on the next boat and went over the little bridge, past the contempory to the camp ground.

SDC15401 by D Gill, on Flickr
IMG_3033 by D Gill, on Flickr
SDC15407 by D Gill, on Flickr
SDC15408 by D Gill, on Flickr
SDC15415 by D Gill, on Flickr
SDC15418 by D Gill, on Flickr
SDC15419 by D Gill, on Flickr

continued...
miamivice is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 16, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
miamivice
Excited about Disney

We were a bit early and didn't know what to expect, so we checked in and I had a cocktail (a Gullywhomper - couldn't resist the name! ) on the porch while Helen had a beer.

20150817_183723 by D Gill, on Flickr
IMG_3043 by D Gill, on Flickr
IMG_3046 by D Gill, on Flickr
SDC15423 by D Gill, on Flickr
SDC15424 by D Gill, on Flickr

Ryan was happy hula hooping, and we got a couple of rocking chairs which is probably the type of entertainment I should be looking towards at my age.

IMG_3038 by D Gill, on Flickr
SDC15426 by D Gill, on Flickr
IMG_3042 by D Gill, on Flickr

Ryan is a bit of a whizz at hula hooping and I presume he gets that from the hip movements of his father - I keep offering to teach him how to dance, but Helen keeps stopping me.

Not long after we were seated near the bar. Trails End is an all you can eat barbecue style buffet. The ribs/meat/chicken/chilli etc. were all nice, but nothing compared to the BBQ beans that were outstanding. I know that these photos do not do the food justice, it tasted way better than it looks.

SDC15430 by D Gill, on Flickr
SDC15431 by D Gill, on Flickr
SDC15432 by D Gill, on Flickr
IMG_3048 by D Gill, on Flickr
20150817_193125 by D Gill, on Flickr

Ryan was happy with pizza and pasta, but i couldn't help feeling that he was missing out.

SDC15433 by D Gill, on Flickr

2 metal plates full of this food, washed down with a Budweiser meant that I couldn't even move, never mind contemplate a dessert.

Helen and Ryan got Cheesecake and ice cream. I just watched through a barbecue induced haze. I was over full.

SDC15435 by D Gill, on Flickr

We waddled back to the boat dock and went back to the Magic Kingdom. We didn't have any particular plans, so did a few shops (buying nothing) before we got to Tomorrowland.

SDC15437 by D Gill, on Flickr
We then decided to try something else we hadn't been on before - Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. As rides / shows go - this is close to Helen's worst nightmare. She does not like been picked for anything etc. As we hadn't done it before we did not know fully what to expect...

We did go on, and the experience was definitely in the Top 10 of this holiday for me, especially after the following exchange between the comedic monster and a woman from the audience...

Monster - "I am going to show off my mind reading powers - think of a number between 1 and 23"

Woman - "10"

What happened next was a very long pause, with the monster just blinking on "stage". Everyone was laughing as it sank in what she had done.

Monster - "this is going to be easier than I thought".

Thankfully, none of us were singled out for any "treatment"

The Peoplemover was next and about as energetic motion ride as I could manage. It always seems longer than I could remember.

As we walked back towards Main street we could see the end of the electrical parade, but we had decided to go home and not wait for wishes at 10.

As it was Helen went into a shop, and as we came out, Wishes was starting at 9.30! We were too tired to watch it so we headed out before the rush and into bed asap.

We certainly did not have time to stop at Saratoga nad watch a movie

IMG_3051 by D Gill, on Flickr
Old 12 Jan 16, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

A great day :-)
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 16, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Ryan looks as though he is having the best time! Dinner sounds great, we love Trail's End and Fort Wilderness as a whole.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 16, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch in time
Getting Excited

After seeing your food at Trails end I think we will be doing this restaurant! Are there veggie options? I'm hoping so, guess I can eat mac & cheese!
I'm enjoying reading your trip report its coming along brilliant xx
Stitch in time is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 16, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
miamivice
Excited about Disney

Thanks for the replies
Stitch in time - if you tell the host when you check in that you are vegetarian or have any other allergies they will arrange for the chef (Chef TJ or one of his colleagues) to come out and discuss what you like and can eat. Apparently some people ask for this on purpose!
They will then cook you something special and you may end up with a dessert tower which is a lot bigger than it looks.
Old 13 Jan 16, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by miamivice View Post
Thanks for the replies
Stitch in time - if you tell the host when you check in that you are vegetarian or have any other allergies they will arrange for the chef (Chef TJ or one of his colleagues) to come out and discuss what you like and can eat. Apparently some people ask for this on purpose!
They will then cook you something special and you may end up with a dessert tower which is a lot bigger than it looks.
Trail's end looks fab. We were going to try Whispering Canyons but this looks better!
Tor32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 16, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
secretivemum
Imagineer

Mobile

What a lovely present- lucky you! Thanks for sharing about trails end- it's just moved up from our maybe list to our definitely worth a try lost 😀
secretivemum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 16, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
miamivice
Excited about Disney

Tor32 - We did whispering Canyon as well (report coming soon) and the food is very similar (that is not a bad thing! )

Secretivemum - the present was awesome.

Having re-read this - and knowing that the more people talk about trails end, the more will go and it will become harder to get a reservation i have changed my recommendation to don't go!