Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 May 17, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Gems09
Excited about Disney

Mobile Fake Esta websites?

My mum just nearly paid $100 for what she thought was an esta after competing the online form etc. Dad video called me to check it was the right website as he thought I had said we paid $14 a head for them... and it was not!
Are these sites well known scams or was mum just really unlucky to click on that one?
Gems09 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 17, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
They are not fake sites but they do charge you more for doing the same thing as the official website.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020

Edited at 07:10 PM.
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 17, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
They are technically not a scam otherwise would be shut down. They provide a service. The fact that you don't need that service and frankly they design themselve to trick people out of money is dreadful.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 17, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Every time the word esta appears on here it's a link to the official website.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 17, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pookie3101
Imagineer

Pookie3101's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

They are not fake or a scam. They are third party sites that charge you a hefty fee to do something that you can do yourself for just the cost of the esta.

DLP NBC - 2008, DLP SL- 2009, DLP SL, 2010.
AKL - 2014, POR - 2016
Pookie3101 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Most people that complain directly to the site get their money back. There has been a lot of cases on theDIBB of people getting a refund.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 17, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Gems09
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks all. Luckily she didn't pay it. I was so shocked when they said how much this site wanted for one esta!
Gems09 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 17, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gems09 View Post
My mum just nearly paid $100 for what she thought was an esta after competing the online form etc. Dad video called me to check it was the right website as he thought I had said we paid $14 a head for them... and it was not!
Are these sites well known scams or was mum just really unlucky to click on that one?
I am a veteran at booking Florida holidays, but I inadvertently applied for our ESTAs on one of these sites They do offer a service, but don't make it terribly clear that they charge for that service. I stupidly thought it was the official ESTA site

When the screen came up to pay, it didn't tell me how much would be debited from my card; it just went straight through to taking the payment.

My fault entirely, of course. I didn't expect to get my money back, but did email the company to say how misleading it was taking my money without letting me know how much would be debited before I approved the transaction (at which time I would have abandoned the transaction!).

However, the company very quickly, and to my surprise, refunded the total amount.

I then was able to apply via the correct site - phew

Lesson well learnt!

Deb
Old 18 May 17, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post

They are not fake,!That would imply you paid money and got nothing back. They are travel services companies that submit an application on your behalf and charge a fee on top of the Esta fee for doing so. They are perfectly legal but they do design their sites to draw you in. You need to read everything on them because they cover themselves legally by saying "Not an official site" even though it may be in tiny print.
However, that said they are unnecessary as you can just do it yourself for $ 14 per person. Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshire Lad
Excited about Disney

also remember these type of sites, also do the European Health Card(EHIC), which are free via the NHS/Gov site.
Yorkshire Lad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List