Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Nov 17, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Avis at it again

We’ve had two issues with them on this trip.

On arrival, we pulled in at the first toll to pay and the attendant told us we didn’t need to pay as our SunPass was switched on. We switched it off and paid cash but have never had this happen before. Our fault for not checking, but the default has always been for it to be switched off before. There was a piece of paper on the seat telling us what the SunPass charges would be, which we’ve never had before, but nothing telling us to switch it off if we didn’t want to use it. Something else to remember to check on arrival.

When we returned the car, they claimed we had not prepaid for fuel and tried to charge us $10 per gallon for not bringing it back full. I went to the Avis office to battle with them. First the lady said we hadn’t prepaid, then she said it was because the car wasn’t full when we took it out (w.t.f?) I explained that she could check and see that we ALWAYS prepay and also told her that when we did this at the security barrier, we were told it was $2.49 per gallon/$33.17 total. Eventually she backed down, but in a manner which suggested she was doing us a favour rather than because she knew she was in the wrong.
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Didn't the barrier Guy give you a new agreement showing the fuel option was now included and the amount to be paid on return?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

I suspect if the tolling attendant has alerted you to the fact that the device was switched on then its already charged the toll to Avis. I doubt they would have been able to see the switch inside the vehicle. Suspect you'll be getting a toll charge and $19.75 admin fee to your card in the coming days / weeks.

Always make sure everything you expect to pay for is on the rental agreement. Verbal agreements mean nothing to the rental companies.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Didn't the barrier Guy give you a new agreement showing the fuel option was now included and the amount to be paid on return?
He did, but unfortunately didn’t have it to hand.
Old 22 Nov 17, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
You can get copy from Avis.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
This is why I leave my stuff in the glove box. Plus I get a receipt at each and every toll booth.
As I pull into the garage my Wife hands it to me and I then double check the receipt the Guys generate from their hand held device against what is on my rental agreement.

Thats how I got $13 back on Saturday as the price for pre paid fuel had changed since I did OLCI. No issue at all and they re billed me. Checked my Card account and could see it as pending before I even left the garage.

Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Monko
Having Dinner with Goofy

Come home from recent trip (28/10 to 11/11) to find AVIS charged our card £66.69 for a 'refuelling fee' despite taking the car back with a full tank. Emailed customer services straight away, but have yet to have any response.
Just checked card account again now and noted a £16.87 toll charge. This I can't really dispute as we went through a toll on the way back to Orl Int airport on our return trip despite programming SatNav to avoid tolls - it only seemed like a quarter of a mile or so if that, so the fee seems excessive, though guess there's no doubt an 'admin fee' element in there.
I feel like cancelling my card before I see anything else that AVIS want to take from me. It certainly puts a bit of a dampner on the return to the UK (which is always miserable enough after a great Florida holiday..)
Old 22 Nov 17, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Monko View Post
Come home from recent trip (28/10 to 11/11) to find AVIS charged our card £66.69 for a 'refuelling fee' despite taking the car back with a full tank. Emailed customer services straight away, but have yet to have any response.
Just checked card account again now and noted a £16.87 toll charge. This I can't really dispute as we went through a toll on the way back to Orl Int airport on our return trip despite programming SatNav to avoid tolls - it only seemed like a quarter of a mile or so if that, so the fee seems excessive, though guess there's no doubt an 'admin fee' element in there.
I feel like cancelling my card before I see anything else that AVIS want to take from me. It certainly puts a bit of a dampner on the return to the UK (which is always miserable enough after a great Florida holiday..)
Not having a go at you but if you went through a toll their fees are very clear. It will be a $19.75 admin fee plus the toll. You can't blame them for that.
What did your exit contract say as you left the garage ref fuel?
Did you challenge the garage Guys ref the fuel when you dropped the car off?

Old 22 Nov 17, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

If you head to the Avis website you can retrieve your receipt. Does it mention the fuel service option on there.. If it quotes $9.99 a gallon it means they've had to refuel the vehicle (allegedly). If it quotes a much lower rate of circa $3, then the prepaid fuel was added on at the start. You will have signed the screen agreeing to the prepaid fuel charge so could have returned the vehicle back empty. Worth questioning them on it. When it happens with Alamo they've always been happy to refund... Budget/Avis is another story though.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
This is why I leave my stuff in the glove box. Plus I get a receipt at each and every toll booth.
As I pull into the garage my Wife hands it to me and I then double check the receipt the Guys generate from their hand held device against what is on my rental agreement.

Thats how I got $13 back on Saturday as the price for pre paid fuel had changed since I did OLCI. No issue at all and they re billed me. Checked my Card account and could see it as pending before I even left the garage.
Hi MrT, car supplier staff niggle me big time with constant borderline fraud tricks, I'm very firm, lay out my intention for naff all in the way of extras. I'm no wilting wallflower, not backwards at coming forward.

We drive from/to MCO/Budget's Cape Coral office. Never had one iota of hard sell at the CC office. I also take manned toll receipts/petrol top up, contract left in the glovebox until hires end; receipts binned 5 month later. Altho it's never happened, no $0 to pay sign off sheet would see me glued to their depot floor until it's sorted.

Glad to be taking a break from our one day hires this year by arriving into RSW and having a friend collect us in our own motor, this may be our choice in future years too.