Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 30 Dec 17, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Mobile

We are looking to go for the first time in the summer hols (October/EASTER previously). Are there ever free night offers in summer or is free DDP the best we’ll get at that time of year?
Tor32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 17, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tor32 View Post
We are looking to go for the first time in the summer hols (October/EASTER previously). Are there ever free night offers in summer or is free DDP the best we’ll get at that time of year?
Yes, but you need to wait until the free dining offer has finished, meaning you won't be able to book until December time. It's on at the moment for 2018 holidays, so have a look at that to get an idea

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 17, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tor32 View Post
The free nights offer for 2018 is on now if you wanted to do a dummy booking to check. I don't believe summer is blacked out, just Easter and Christmas as per the free DDP offer.

Just read the T&Cs and there are an extra two weeks in mid-July that are blacked out for values only. Mods/deluxe are fine all summer.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 17, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Thanks that’s great. I’ve just looked and it’s now £4550 for AKL for two weeks and I’m sure it was about £6300 when I had a look when free DDP was released. Food for thought!

Edited at 10:48 PM.
Tor32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 17, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I think we’d still stay onsite but I’d be hoping for some other offer. There will always be some sort of incentive I’m sure. The day Disney don’t have to offer discounts or free dining to fill rooms out of peak season is the day I would stop enjoying the parks as it would more than likely be horrendously busy.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 17, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post

This rumour has ebbed and flowed ever since Free Dining raised its head for the first time. If Disney do pull it then it will because they have done their homework. Doesn't matter if you like Star Wars or not. For every one who doesn't there are six that do. Look at the success of Harry Potter at Universal. All I will say is that if free DDP disappears then I hope the standard of food improves to what it used to be at Disney before it was introduced.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
pandanne
Imagineer

Only ever done free DDP once - and we won't do it again. I was so stressed at having to be at a certain place at a certain time, and to think what type of food you want to eat 6 months beforehand is not something that we enjoyed having to do. Prefer to eat offsite, and try new and different restaurants, some of them have their own offers, which are just as good. We used the kids eat free card, and found it saved us quite a bit.
Old 31 Dec 17, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

I've booked my DVC trip for next year and I'm not sure whether to buy the dining plan or not? Problem is if I bought it here then it would cost £1400 but in the States it comes to roughly £1600 which is obviously more expensive. Not sure if I should just pay as I go or pay for DP because then at least that way I know I don't have anything extra to pay when I get there.
Old 31 Dec 17, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
I've booked my DVC trip for next year and I'm not sure whether to buy the dining plan or not? Problem is if I bought it here then it would cost £1400 but in the States it comes to roughly £1600 which is obviously more expensive. Not sure if I should just pay as I go or pay for DP because then at least that way I know I don't have anything extra to pay when I get there.
Unfortunately, with DVC, you have no choice but to buy it at the US price. Personally, I think it would be hard to break even at that rate and you'd be better off just paying as you go. You could always put the money you would have spent buying it in a currency card and allocate that for food, that way it's already sort of paid for in advance . Chances are you'll still have money left on it for some extra shopping or a treat at the end of the holiday

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Unfortunately, with DVC, you have no choice but to buy it at the US price. Personally, I think it would be hard to break even at that rate and you'd be better off just paying as you go. You could always put the money you would have spent buying it in a currency card and allocate that for food, that way it's already sort of paid for in advance . Chances are you'll still have money left on it for some extra shopping or a treat at the end of the holiday
If only the £ was stronger hey!