Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Jan 18, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Travel Insurance question - any experts

We’ve got a ongoing annual policy. Our June holiday has been booked for months. My DH has had an emergency back operation. No real history of back trouble except for the last few weeks. He saw the GP around mid November who suggested maybe seeing a physio. Anyway New Years Eve excruciating pain ensued then the emergency operation. So I’m going to ring the Insurance today. I somehow doubt they will cover what I’ve paid out already but what I really need to know - what are our rights if we decide to still go on holiday. Can they ask for another payment or do they have to cover him as it’s an annual policy and the holiday is already booked.

Edited at 05:37 PM.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 18, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

While you really need to check the terms of your policy, the norm, would be that you have to inform them of any change to your medical history, operations, diagnosis or medication. They will most likely have the right to make an additional charge or exclude that condition from cover.

You have to inform them not only because of their conditions, but also for your own piece of mind that your fully insured while on holiday.
You could always look for another policy for your husband (USA single trip)if they try to charge a price you consider unfair.

However: If your considering having to cancel your holiday because of the back problems / operation, you will presumably want to be claiming on the policy, so decide if you are going or not before contacting your insurer.

Edited at 02:51 PM.
lovewdw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 18, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Cosworth
Apprentice Imagineer

It is possible they may just increase thr excess, but you should inform them of any changes.
Cosworth is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 18, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
k100dmk
Very Serious Dibber

They will cover you if it means your husband is unable to fly, if he is fit to fly some insurance companes ask for a premium because there has been surgery involved, the premium would depend on the illness and how likely it would be to need emergency care. BUT and this is a big but, there are different rules for annual policies, if you have taken out an annual policy you are insured for the full term and they cannot apply a premium. I'm sure someone will come along and tell me i'm wrong but we've been through the ombudsman with this and it's definitely correct.

In your post you do say you have an ongoing annual policy, what do you mean by this? If you mean insurance through your bank etc which just continues running then these aren't classed as annual policies.
k100dmk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 18, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by k100dmk View Post
They will cover you if it means your husband is unable to fly, if he is fit to fly some insurance companes ask for a premium because there has been surgery involved, the premium would depend on the illness and how likely it would be to need emergency care. BUT and this is a big but, there are different rules for annual policies, if you have taken out an annual policy you are insured for the full term and they cannot apply a premium. I'm sure someone will come along and tell me i'm wrong but we've been through the ombudsman with this and it's definitely correct.

In your post you do say you have an ongoing annual policy, what do you mean by this? If you mean insurance through your bank etc which just continues running then these aren't classed as annual policies.
No I meant I never allow it to lapse, so I renew it each time before it runs out. We usually book our holidays at 11 months out, so never wanted to give them a way out if we needed to claim. It’s an annual policy with insure and go
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 18, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
k100dmk
Very Serious Dibber

You should be fine then. I know people who have been charged a premium and have paid it but would you pay an increased premium on your car insurance if it got stolen? no not until the end of the term, the same with your house insurance. If it's a year policy you are covered for a whole year providing the information was correct when taking out the policy.

this all depends on if your husband is fit to fly, if you just didn't want to go you'd probably only lose your deposit this far out assuming you booked a package holiday
k100dmk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 18, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
k100dmk
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Sorry I don't think I worded my reply properly. The insurance company can ask for a premium on an annual policy to cover the health condition BUT if they do you do not have to pay it and they would be liable for the cancellation cost of the trip even if it wasn't a case of your husband not being fit to fly. The cost of this to the insurance company is usually more than the added premium so it doesn't often add this on and allows you to stay covered.
Old 8 Jan 18, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

I hope your DH is on the mend, been there myself.
My insurance company refused to cover me any longer (ie renew) but I didn't have anything booked so slightly different. Good luck.
Old 8 Jan 18, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Imagineer

Mobile

They can charge an admin fee and any additional premium. He will need to be discharged from all post operative checks in order for them to cover anything to do with his back.
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 18, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Mobile

We had a single trip policy and DH was admitted to hospital as an emergency for two nights eith kidney stones. He didn't have surgery and they passed on their own but our insurance didn't ask for any more just said all fine as we had the policy already. They said we woukd he covered for that if it happened again. A friend however was asked for more money on an annual policy when her daughter was admitted with a kidney infection. Was this because it was an annual policy and mine was a single trip?
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List