Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 25 Jan 18, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post

We always used to eat 100 % onsite, did for a few trips, it worked very well, mainly character buffets, meet the characters while you eat, its a winner

we paid cash for them, then we had it for free a few trips, free food, double winner

then we decided to pay cash for the next trip ( staying on points at AKV kidani ) , we decided to only eat onsite every other night, the girls picked favs
So we first ate at Chef Mickey on our first night ( our tradition ) for us Veggies its always been hit and miss, this time, i had some mashed potato, broccoli and some Veggie Italian pasta dish, thats it ( apart from some Salad ), now the bill for 4 at CM wasnt small

the next night we popped to Sherberth road and the Sweet tomato next to Super target ( it might be a 10 min drive from AKV, closer than most places onsite ) , it was brilliant, the place was clean, loads of salad stuff, baked potato's and decent desserts, the bill was way cheaper than CM's, a few nights in, we eat at CiCi's, not fine dining, but very nice, the Bill for that was less than the Tip at CM, the tip, shocking

this trip in Aug, we are cutting back the TS onsite dining again, maybe, just choosing 1 fav each, CM on the first night will be one, Trails and ( for chef TJ ) another, then 2 breakfasts

now we discussed this, is it the cost ? ? ? partly yes, is it the food, well being Veggie its never been great food, but it appears the chef's are not that keen on trying to make us something special , so yes its the food, the lack of importance to meet the characters, well yes again, ours have met them so many times and are not 15 and 10 yrs old

will we miss the food onsite ? ? ? we will see, but last trip, we enjoyed, Sweet tomato's, Chueys, CiCi's, Olive garden ( the family loved it, i found it bland ) so it will be interesting
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 18, 01:24 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Thanks for all the feedback, I seem to have hit a nerve here with DVC members in particular. I suspect this is because the DVC members are seasoned Disney travellers, don’t get free dining plans (have to pay dollar price), have ‘been there and done that’ and many also remember a time when food was better quality and decent prices.
So the DVC owners are different Disney holidaymakers.
This accords with a survey I saw run on a Facebook page, where hundreds of DVC owners replied and only 25% ish would get the dining plan.
I think if Disney were being canny, they’d offer DVC owners higher discounts and / or good discounts on dining plan to capture more of that money.
From what I can see, Disney are losing a lot of DVC owner food dollars. We are just too long in the tooth to fall for it.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 18, 01:25 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
We always used to eat 100 % onsite, did for a few trips, it worked very well, mainly character buffets, meet the characters while you eat, its a winner

we paid cash for them, then we had it for free a few trips, free food, double winner

then we decided to pay cash for the next trip ( staying on points at AKV kidani ) , we decided to only eat onsite every other night, the girls picked favs
So we first ate at Chef Mickey on our first night ( our tradition ) for us Veggies its always been hit and miss, this time, i had some mashed potato, broccoli and some Veggie Italian pasta dish, thats it ( apart from some Salad ), now the bill for 4 at CM wasnt small

the next night we popped to Sherberth road and the Sweet tomato next to Super target ( it might be a 10 min drive from AKV, closer than most places onsite ) , it was brilliant, the place was clean, loads of salad stuff, baked potato's and decent desserts, the bill was way cheaper than CM's, a few nights in, we eat at CiCi's, not fine dining, but very nice, the Bill for that was less than the Tip at CM, the tip, shocking

this trip in Aug, we are cutting back the TS onsite dining again, maybe, just choosing 1 fav each, CM on the first night will be one, Trails and ( for chef TJ ) another, then 2 breakfasts

now we discussed this, is it the cost ? ? ? partly yes, is it the food, well being Veggie its never been great food, but it appears the chef's are not that keen on trying to make us something special , so yes its the food, the lack of importance to meet the characters, well yes again, ours have met them so many times and are not 15 and 10 yrs old

will we miss the food onsite ? ? ? we will see, but last trip, we enjoyed, Sweet tomato's, Chueys, CiCi's, Olive garden ( the family loved it, i found it bland ) so it will be interesting
Great story Matt. I’ve always wanted to try Sweet Tomato due to feedback, but in maybe 30 Florida trips I’ve never been to one.

Agree the tips are shocking. I said to my kids after Narcoosees, don’t bother going to law or medical school, get a job at a Disney restaurant. It is out of control what people are paying for service in Disney restaurants, another reason I’ve cut right down.

The chains are all normally good, but vary in quality location to location. Olive Garden can be brilliant or middling. I went to a fantastic Macaroni Grill near Hershey last year. I had long since lost faith in Applebee’s 10 years ago but out of necessity we called in one in Hershey and it was absolutely fantastic last year, better than 95% of Disney TS, and my meal was $15. Carabbas is normally decent, as is Bonefish. The Bahama Breeze on I Drive is brilliant, will give the one on 192 a try this year.

Edited at 01:36 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 18, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
YT. I am very friendly with a certain server at a Signature restaurant.

His Wife doesn't work and he has put both his Daughters through College/University and they are Pharmacists.

All done on his WDW salary and tips.

When a Disney restaurant closes permanently the full time staff can say where they will be relocated to.
No surprise whatsoever that the bulk of the staff at the now demolished Capt Jacks opted for the Cali Grill!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 03:19 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 18, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
another dvc member here, we do both, onsite and offsite

some lovely up markets restaurants at dr Philips

tried Skipper Canteen last year and have to say really enjoyed it

we also tend to lounge by the pool and go for a late lunch which are around SSR before heading to the parks or again heading to universal

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 18, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
YT. I am very friendly with a certain server at a Signature restaurant.

His Wife doesn't work and he has put both his Daughters through College/University and they are Pharmacists.

All done on his WDW salary and tips.

When a Disney restaurant closes permanently the full time staff can say where they will be relocated to.
No surprise whatsoever that the bulk of the staff at the now demolished Capt Jacks opted for the Cali Grill!
I have no problem believing that. On the WDW forums approx ten years ago a chap said a friend of his was earning six figures as a waiter, not at Disney but a high-end restaurant somewhere else. Ten years ago mind! I wonder what he's on nowadays?

I also remember a Disney insider saying they profile Brits as spending money like water. I don't know why I'm mentioning that but it still irks me to this day.
Old 25 Jan 18, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
dor1
Getting Excited

dor1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Thanks for all the feedback, I seem to have hit a nerve here with DVC members in particular. I suspect this is because the DVC members are seasoned Disney travellers, don’t get free dining plans (have to pay dollar price), have ‘been there and done that’ and many also remember a time when food was better quality and decent prices.
So the DVC owners are different Disney holidaymakers.
This accords with a survey I saw run on a Facebook page, where hundreds of DVC owners replied and only 25% ish would get the dining plan.
I think if Disney were being canny, they’d offer DVC owners higher discounts and / or good discounts on dining plan to capture more of that money.
From what I can see, Disney are losing a lot of DVC owner food dollars. We are just too long in the tooth to fall for it.
I think there should be 1 or 2 restaurants that change monthly where DVC owners get higher discounts.
The food is mainly average and the prices have become ridiculous.
At least the Angry Orchard cider i like in orlando is only $9 a bottle!
Old 25 Jan 18, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Great story Matt. I’ve always wanted to try Sweet Tomato due to feedback, but in maybe 30 Florida trips I’ve never been to one.

I did for years, it was always on the list to try, maybe pop out for lunch as we always had a TS booked for the evening, we never managed it, afterall it was off-site so not upto disneys standard, then last trip we popped to Target behind AKV and spotted the Sweet Tomato's in the car park, we drove over and parked up, sat inside was 1 couple, just the 1, we ummed and arrrred and walked in, no-one to greet us, Hmmmm so we walk down the Food isle ( Salad ) and someone appears ( i knew how it worked, you get your salad, pay the bill, sit down and then help yourself again to anything ) but my wife said " do we pay first " and the lady ( who was really nice ) explained how it all worked, we showed out " voucher " and paid, the cost was nothing money

we enjoyed it so much we went back twice ( well once more to that one and then one up near seaworld, where marriott cypress harbour is )
Old 25 Jan 18, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’m not dvc but I begrudge paying for poor quality food. Dining plan or not being served something presentable is what I expect for the extortionate cost . I think even if we had the dining plan we would end up going offsite as the food Is over salted or just too sickly to endure for 2 weeks. When my mum was really ill we struggled just to find a plain slice of toast ( charged us $4 for 2 slices of bread ! ) at the contemporary and soda water had to come from the bar .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 18, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

LBV Bahama Breeze, they do a happy hour on cocktails and appertisers
Just down from crossroads so probably closer than the one at Formosa gardens
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List