Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Feb 20, 02:30 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkstargirl
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I remember a number of years ago, our local paper reported on a lad of 17/18 failing his driving test as he didn't overtake a hearse! He'd been brought up with respect and obviously the examiner hadn't!
pinkstargirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

I got failed for that as well on my driving test!
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

The OP said the hearse was not in a procession so there could of been many reasons for the coffin in the back, esp if no flowers with it. It may have been empty, being collected from carpenter, going to collect some one etc etc.
The two cars behind may even have been with the funeral party, and nipping ahead to open up a house in preparation for the arrival.

No one can tell, but these two drivers are being decried on here on half a story.

Far enough if part of a procession, but out on its own you’ll never know.

If it was my funeral, I’d not care as in a wee while I’d be toast, and I’d not want to inconvenience anyone.
It’s one thing we can’t avoid.

I’m not saying to ignore these vehicle, and yes show respect if you feel that way. ( and I would) but we are all jumping to conclusions here.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by pinkstargirl View Post
I remember a number of years ago, our local paper reported on a lad of 17/18 failing his driving test as he didn't overtake a hearse! He'd been brought up with respect and obviously the examiner hadn't!
By the same token would you not overtake am ambulance? It may have a body inside.

Not the examiners fault, but maybe the government standards that the examiner follows.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

At my dads funeral we had to pull out onto the A69 not via a sliproad but a sharp left, its quite often a nightmare getting out of that junction. But as the hearse was waiting to pull out a bus slowed & flashed us out. The driver also bowed his head, The traffic in the outside lane also stopped to allow the courtege out. Same happened on the A1 roundabout approaching cars all slowed down/stopped to allow every car to pass in procession

very respectful
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

I'm wondering if the cars that overtook the hearse maybe had young people in? Absolutely not saying what they did was acceptable, but when I just asked my teenage boys what they would do if they saw a hearse, they both said they would keep on walking and ignore it as they wouldn't want to stare. Which I thought was a well reasoned response. Neither of them have been to a funeral, so maybe funeral etiquette has passed them by. Note to self, must try harder as a parent ! I do think people are generally busier and less tolerant all round, perhaps me included, but I just think to criticise the drivers when you don't know the full story, is perhaps in itself a little intolerant.

Edited at 09:32 AM.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

I work in a small town where there are a lot of old people. Just up the road is a small church but it is on the end of a row of shops including a post office and bank.

A few weeks ago a hearse was parked outside the church and the coffin was in the back. I was walking to get some lunch and an old woman pulled up right behind the hearse - so close they couldn't open the back door. The undertaker asked her politely if she could not park there (it was double yellow lines but she has a disabled badge) and she told him to wait as she just had to nip to the shops for a bit He in no uncertain terms told her that if she didn't move they would move her car themselves by lifting it out of the way.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

For my step mum's funeral, she had a horse drawn hearse (carriage?) with 4 horses in full regalia. It was incredibly beautiful and quite the sight.
On the way to the church, so many people stopped and bowed their heads, it was really touching. I even saw a couple of people make the cross. All going smoothly until we got to a rather busy roundabout. Just as the horses were pulling out, some **** cut them up because he couldn't wait 5 seconds. Not only did I find this so disrespectful and rude, but also dangerous! I know the horses were trained to deal with road traffic, but it could have caused such an accident.
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I think the World and indeed Funerals are changing constantly.

I live on one of the routes to the Crem so when out and about I see quite a few funeral corteges.

The horse drawn hearses seem to be back in vogue - normally with another hearse (Car) behind with the flowers.
The Funeral Directors have gone back to Top Hats which I haven't seen for maybe 30+ years - Nice.
I haven't seen a pedestrian stop and bow for 20+ years at least, maybe more.
Church Services for my generation are becoming rare. Service at the Crem instead.

I don't think there is a lack of respect. I think the youth have other things in their life that distracts them, phones for example. Most don't even look where they are walking let alone around themselves!

Would I overtake a funeral cortege in the City? Never, total lack of respect and probably dangerous to boot.

Would I stop and bow my head? No, never have and as I said earlier haven't really seen it.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
At my dads funeral we had to pull out onto the A69 not via a sliproad but a sharp left, its quite often a nightmare getting out of that junction. But as the hearse was waiting to pull out a bus slowed & flashed us out. The driver also bowed his head, The traffic in the outside lane also stopped to allow the courtege out. Same happened on the A1 roundabout approaching cars all slowed down/stopped to allow every car to pass in procession

very respectful
I experienced that too at my dads funeral. Traffic stopped or give way and many people bowed as the car passed them. It was very touching and respectful.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List