Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 8 Oct 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Glaciers & Glowtinis - Pre travel day

So the day had finally arrived - after months of “planning” I was starting out today on what I hoped would be the trip of a lifetime!
As I explained in my pre trippie this trip was all about celebrating my 50th, so I had really pushed the boat out to make it a true bucket list trip

It was a Sunday, traditionally a day to lie in and chill out, but I was heading off on holiday, so of course I had loads to do – as anyone who follows my adventures will know, I’m very much a last minute packer! I work best under pressure, so give me a deadline and I’ll meet it, but I’ll be working on it up to the last minute So you can imagine how strange it felt to have absolutely nothing to do…..
Yes, you did read that right, I had gone to bed past night secure in the knowledge that everything was organised and packed, all I had to do was get myself showered and dressed – totally achievable right? So why couldn’t I shake the feeling that something wasn’t right! Hats off to those of you who are super organised, but I can’t operate this way, so next time, normal service will be resumed
Once I was up, showered and dressed and had checked my bag on several occasions to make sure that my passport and purse hadn’t managed to magically unpack themselves, I headed to breakfast with mum and dad. My dad was driving me to the station for the train to the airport, so had offered to cook breakfast for us all so that they could send me off in style – it saved me washing up so I was all in favour 😁
My train was due to leave Lancaster at 11:50 so we loaded the car up with the luggage and set off for the station around 11 for the 20 minute drive.
We had an uneventful trip and I was soon heading in to check the platform I needed, to be met with the very useful information that the train I was booked on was cancelled. This was looking to be a wonderful start to the trip and I could only hope it wasn’t an omen of things to come!

I took a seat on the platform, and checked out the rail issues on my phone to see what the issue was and what my options were.

From chatting to a very harassed guard, I found out that there had been a signal failure North of Lancaster which was causing all the trains heading in to be very delayed, it was just bad luck on my part that this failure coincided with a shortage of drivers causing my train to be cancelled!
I was told that I could catch any subsequent train which was heading to the airport, and from checking the information boards, and travel info on my phone, there were 2 due in about an hour – 5 minutes apart.

The guard had a quiet word with me and suggested that I catch the second one as the first would be likely to be very crowded with all the delayed people desperate to get on – if I had the time, it would be a much quieter journey and I was much more likely to get a seat on the second train – given it was only 5 minutes behind the first it seemed a really good idea, and when the first came in and everyone piled on, it was standing room only. The second one was almost empty, so it was a very good call and I was very grateful to the guard for his suggestion 😊
It was a very smooth journey once I was underway, I had a table for 4 all to myself and had been able to easily store my luggage in the rack, so I sat back, plugged in my headphones and chilled to some music for the 90 minute trip to the airport.
Before too long the train was pulling into the station and I had a quick 5 minute stroll over to the Radisson – I know it is on the pricy side, but for sheer convenience there is no comparison!

As this trip was to be a celebration for my 50th, I had decided to push the boat out and booked a suite – I had planned to arrive a little earlier and use the hotel pool for a chill and then spend the evening in comfort and make use of the lounge. What I hadn’t realised was that the Radisson has undergone a price restructure which would put Disney to shame, and now a “basic” suite doesn’t qualify for all the extras which used to be included! Unless you now pay for an “Executive” suite, you no longer have access to the lounge or get the complimentary bottle of prosecco on arrival. I will be honest, this did put a slight dampener on to the start of the trip – the price of a suite is high enough that I would expect these to be provided as standard, and I think the Radisson has just got greedy. I will no longer book any of the higher value rooms as they are now not worth the money – standard room only for me going forwards 😕
To further add to my disappointment, the pool was closed for maintenance! Total change of plan, so I had a nice long soak in the bath instead, ordered some room service (fish and chips – expensive but delicious!)

I then headed to the most comfortable bed for an early night with Thor. (Ok so Thor was just the movie on my iPad, but a girl can dream!)😍

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Great stuff (except very disappointing about the Raddisson, I would be very annoyed).

I'm also with you about the last minute packing thing. I would also feel almost guilty and as if something was missing if I was ready a day early!

Looking forward to the rest of the report. 😁
Old 8 Oct 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Bit of a mixed start but who wouldn't want to get an early night with Thor? 🤷🏻 ... looking forward to hearing about a different kind of trip
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Im following! This is my dream for my 50th too, (the cruise, not Thor! ) so very keen to see your Alaska photos, I would be annoyed about hotel too, but good to see you made the most of it.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

A fab start to celebrating your birthday! Will be reading along.
Old 11 Oct 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Can’t wait to read more!
Old 25 Oct 19, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Great advice about the train

As for birthday - I stopped counting a few years ago and yes I turned 50 last month - we all need to do stuff like this!

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Agree with you regarding the Radisson definitely getting too expensive.
Old 25 Mar 20, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
good start
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List