Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jun 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Buttercup1982
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Genealogy

I joined Ancestry.co.uk a couple of weeks ago. Anyone else into this? Wondering what other sites/sources I can use x x
Buttercup1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 20, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

My grandmother started doing genology about 30 years ago long before the internet and my mum took over the family archives when my gran passed away.

Be warned, its very addictive

You will get a good start with the ancestry website but then you follow the path that your ancestors will take you.

There are so many different types of resources depending on the country and type of job / industry your family member had and where they lived and when they lived.

You will need whats called a gateway ancestor / family member. A person you know a little about and then by finding out more about that person, you will go on a journey and find other connected family members.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 20, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
frances01
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

If you have Scottish ancestry I would recommend Scotlands People. I have used it quite a bit and find it very useful.
Sept 97 Orlando, Sept 98 Orlando, Sept 00 Orlando, Mar 03 Orlando, Feb 04 DLP, Apr 05 Orlando, Oct 06 Orlando, Oct 07 St Augustine/Orlando, Oct 08 Disney Eastern Caribbean Cruise/Orlando, Oct 09 Orlando, Oct 10 Orlando/Disney Western Caribbean Cruise, Oct 11 Orlando, Oct 13 Orlando. Oct 14 Orlando, Oct 15 Orlando/Keys, Jul 17 Orlando, Feb 22 Orlando, Jul 23 Orlando
frances01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

I signed up to Findmypast about a month ago and have spent hours and hours so far. I knew bits and pieces about my family and have been able to trace back to 1700s on one side. It helps that the surname isn’t very common, but they had a habit of using the same christian name for five generations which can make things helpful but also confusing if you’re not
paying full attention. My family also migrated from Canada to India before settling in UK so I knew I needed a site which covered the data for those countries. There are a couple of grave finder websites too which can help.
Old 21 Jun 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

I did it for my mum's side a few years ago. Very addictive but also very time consuming. After a free trial, quite expensive but I loved doing itl

I printed all records found as well as saving to my computer. I found hard copies really helped.

Cross check and cross check. Addresses on census records, ages, where born. Dont rely on trees linked to other people, unless you cross check, cross check. One family tree with hints to mine had a 3 year old with children, clearly they hadn't cross checked their own stuff! !

Edited at 05:55 PM.
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 20, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We are circa 6 weeks into compiling my Wife's side of the Family using Ancestry.

Talk about interesting!

The big problem we have found is Irish ancestors as records are not brilliant. Names changed, names swapped regarding first and middle names, names abbreviated such as Margaret becomes Madge etc.

The depressing bit is the number of children dying under 1 year of age.

Then there are the Census comments - Deaf and Dumb, Lunatic, Feeble Minded or Imbecile. Dear God how awful.

Had a brilliant afternoon as we located a Great Great Uncle who emigrated to Pennsylvania aged 17 and married an Irish immigrant to America and they went on to raise 7 children. Then we found WW2 records for 2 of those children.

Edit. If in doubt get Marriage Records from the Govt website (cheaper). That confirms their Parents so you know you are right

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 06:06 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Buttercup1982
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Has anyone had any trouble on a certain group on Facebook? My husband asked a simple question and got ridiculed. When he put pictures of out tree to prove his point he was booted from the group. I tried to explain my maiden name and and prove he was right and I was booted too. Now I cant find the group to even ask why we were booted. What happened to the 'Be kind' movement? x x
Buttercup1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Buttercup1982 View Post
Has anyone had any trouble on a certain group on Facebook? My husband asked a simple question and got ridiculed. When he put pictures of out tree to prove his point he was booted from the group. I tried to explain my maiden name and and prove he was right and I was booted too. Now I cant find the group to even ask why we were booted. What happened to the 'Be kind' movement? x x
I wouldn’t even know how to get on Facebook. Maybe best to keep off there!

I know you can send messages to other Tree Owners on Ancestry. Maybe worth a try?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List