Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Dec 20, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Dads present at a birth

I had this conversation with my son and his girlfriend regards dads being present at the birth of their child. I genuinely prefer the old way where the man waited outside the delivery room until the lady gave birth and she and the baby were cleaned and wrapped up and then he was called in.

My wife insisted that I was present at the birth of our son and I was slightly traumatised by it, and I know my opinion will be against most (nothing new there), and even my son and his girlfriend thought I was old fashioned in my view and the dad should always be present at a birth.

So does anyone agree with me that the old way is best (dad only gets called in after clean up and wrap up)?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

I think dads should be present if not only for support.
I had my husband and my mam with me.
Donz1979 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Donz1979 View Post
I think dads should be present if not only for support.
I had my husband and my mam with me.
Fair enough, but it was bad enough me being there let alone my mother in law standing next to me watching it all
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Fair enough, but it was bad enough me being there let alone my mother in law standing next to me watching it all
Was that the birth or conception?
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

When I was 15 my best friend, who was pregnant, wanted me there. No man on the scene.
I must say that I was traumatised by the whole thing but it was also the most magical, emotional experience ever. I feel like I have a special bond with her son and I will never forget it, that was 32 years ago.
It did put me off having children of my own to be honest, not sure if thats why I waited until I was 30 to start a family.
It is a very personal choice though, my husband would not have missed it for the world, he cried his eyes out with all 3 of our children.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
MH you are not alone, there is plenty of research and articles out there saying that many (more than a few) men are traumatised by seeing their partners give birth. They are alarmed at the pain and the mess. Some never view their partners in the same light again and it does cause relationships to break down and/or there to never be another pregnancy.
For this reason, depending on the situation, midwives often encourage birth partners to be at the head end only!

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

I was glad my husband was there for the birth of our children and so was he. It also showed him that not all births are straight forward as I had a forceps delivery with our first child. But it is a personal choice and some men are very squeamish and wouldn't cope well.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
MH you are not alone, there is plenty of research and articles out there saying that many (more than a few) men are traumatised by seeing their partners give birth. They are alarmed at the pain and the mess. Some never view their partners in the same light again and it does cause relationships to break down and/or there to never be another pregnancy.
For this reason, depending on the situation, midwives often encourage birth partners to be at the head end only!
Thanks Sue, it's good to know that I'm not alone, and I was at the feet end so saw everything
Old 29 Dec 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Neil & Stella
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
So does anyone agree with me that the old way is best (dad only gets called in after clean up and wrap up)?
No, no and thrice no.
Old 29 Dec 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Historically no men,(except some of the royal courts as it was almost a spectator sport) not sure when the balance of this changed. For some now they are almost pressurised into it. Should really be individual preference.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List