Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jan 21, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We do have quite an echoey house. Not massive but not great internal soundproofing. I couldn't consider hard flooring upstairs for that reason but hadn't really thought about it downstairs and you are right it's worth a ponder. We aren't over endowed with fluffy throws and comfy sound absorbing things.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Really interested that vinyl is quieter than hard wooden floors.

Is this the same thing in this context as laminate or Karnedean type stuff or vinyl on a roll?

I put lino/vinyl stuff on a roll in the upstairs bathroom much to others horror, but it's still looking good, is waterproof, warmish and soft to the feet. I love it. Others still not so keen. 😉
Old 21 Jan 21, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
We do have quite an echoey house. Not massive but not great internal soundproofing. I couldn't consider hard flooring upstairs for that reason but hadn't really thought about it downstairs and you are right it's worth a ponder. We aren't over endowed with fluffy throws and comfy sound absorbing things.
Nor are we but it's fine. Victorian house though so high ceilings not sure if that's better or worse.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I have to add I would much prefer carpet but would cost us too much
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

My mum has a bungalow in our garden as she is wheelchair bound we put in Amtico flooring which is indestructible and looks really good, the sound of footsteps there is no existent but this is on a concrete floor where as our house is floorboards
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Really interested that vinyl is quieter than hard wooden floors.

Is this the same thing in this context as laminate or Karnedean type stuff or vinyl on a roll?

I put lino/vinyl stuff on a roll in the upstairs bathroom much to others horror, but it's still looking good, is waterproof, warmish and soft to the feet. I love it. Others still not so keen. 😉
I was meaning vinyl in terms of Karndean/Amtico/Camero.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
margshel4753
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
Don’t even consider hard flooring unless you have a detached house as it is unfair on neighbourhs as the sound bounces around so much more
We live in a semi. Next door is rented. The owner put laminate flooring everywhere downstairs. We get a lot of noise from this. Everything echoes. Footsteps, dog barking, voices, doors shutting. Driving me mad in lockdown.

Feb 2005 B/W Movieland(Monumental Movieland)
May 2006 Doubletree LBV(Orlando Vista] , Oct 2011 POR & Rosen Inn
May 2012 POR, April 2013 POR
, Oct 2014 POR, H/Inn C/Water, RPR, Rosen Inn, Yacht Club
margshel4753 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
My mum has a bungalow in our garden as she is wheelchair bound we put in Amtico flooring which is indestructible and looks really good, the sound of footsteps there is no existent but this is on a concrete floor where as our house is floorboards
That's useful to know. We have concrete floors so could be lucky.
Old 21 Jan 21, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

That's useful to know. We have concrete floors so could be lucky.
When they lay the flooring they normally pour a self levelling compound first on top of the concrete floor then adhere straight onto that. You don't then get the gap as you would between laminate and the concrete so don't get the echoing, if that makes sense.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by margshel4753 View Post
We live in a semi. Next door is rented. The owner put laminate flooring everywhere downstairs. We get a lot of noise from this. Everything echoes. Footsteps, dog barking, voices, doors shutting. Driving me mad in lockdown.
Horrid !

I have really noticed the wierd noises our house makes that I haven't heard before because normally out in work. The idea of my not so quiet kids adding to the cacophony isn't great 😁

Neighbours too. Kids next door music lessons. Carpets I think, just open windows.