Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 10 Aug 19, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
berniboy
Trying for More Ears

Tolls

Hi,

Decided today to go out to Orlando on Monday. It's been over 10 years since we last went. My question is about road tolls, have they changed as in become electronic like the Datrford crossing, where there are no toll bothes, and you pay online?

I'm hiring a car from Budget at MCO airport.

Any advice on tolls gratefully received.

Thanks
'06-Gran Canaria - Gran Canaria Princess
'07-Pop Century, Royal Pacific Resort and Marriot Suite Resort Clearwater Sandkey
berniboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 01:28 AM  
Link to this Post
granmags
Imagineer

granmags's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Have a look at visitortollpass.com - sorry I don’t know how to post a link.
This is a pilot scheme we used on our recent trip , we signed up online and collected the toll pass cards which you hang on your rear view mirror - this allows you to go through all the tolls on the sun pass/ezipass lane with your credit card billed about 3 days after the end of the trip. The website explains it better than I can! It was great for us , we had 2 cars as a large group , saved a lot of time not stopping to pay cash tolls and worked out well.

Enjoy your trip!

I MAY NOT BE RICH OR FAMOUS BUT I DO HAVE PRICELESS GRANDCHILDREN

Edited at 01:29 AM.
granmags is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 06:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP.

Very well explained by the above poster. This is the link

visitortollpass/

Check out the FAQ's at the bottom of the website. They do cover all the angles and if you are going to be using a few toll roads it's worth signing up.

Also worth a quick look is this link.

sunpass/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

This gives details of the admin fees charged daily/weekly should you not use the Visitor Toll Pass as shown earlier. Watch out for Dollar and Thrifty!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Can't add anything to the excellent advice you've had already.

This is the home page of the web site that Tom has posted. Shows all the toll roads including the handful of "cashless" ones where you must use "Sunpass" or the new "Visitor Toll Pass".

sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

See it's a last minute decision. Hope you've got your ESTA sorted? Introduced in Jan 2009 after your last visit and replaced the old green I-94 forms.

Mick

Edited at 08:28 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
berniboy
Trying for More Ears

Very helpful info thank you Granmags and Mr Tom.

I see from the sunpass link it says Budget use 'HTA eToll' and the car is automatically opted in and there is a max monthly rental fe of $19.75 (plus any toll charges).

So I wonder how easy it is to Opt out with Budgets 'HTA eToll' scheme and use 'Visitor Toll Pass'?
'07-Pop Century, Royal Pacific Resort and Marriot Suite Resort Clearwater Sandkey
berniboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by berniboy View Post
Very helpful info thank you Granmags and Mr Tom.

I see from the sunpass link it says Budget use 'HTA eToll' and the car is automatically opted in and there is a max monthly rental fe of $19.75 (plus any toll charges).

So I wonder how easy it is to Opt out with Budgets 'HTA eToll' scheme and use 'Visitor Toll Pass'?
Hi. There is no need to opt out. Actually you can't anyhow.

The Visitor system overrides the Toll by Plate system that all the companies use.

What happens is you put the hangar on your rear view mirror and as you drive through the SunPass cashless lane the tag activates the system. That activation stops the secondary system which is where a photo of the rear number plate is taken.

Hence as far as Budget is concerned you will never have been through a toll at all as you deal with SunPass outwith of Budget.

Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
berniboy
Trying for More Ears

Mr Tom, thats clever! So if I use Visitor Toll Pass am I right in thinking Budget wont charge me any rental because to them it will seem as if I've never gone through a Toll? If yes I think I'll signup to Visitor Toll Pass.
Old 10 Aug 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by berniboy View Post
Mr Tom, thats clever! So if I use Visitor Toll Pass am I right in thinking Budget wont charge me any rental because to them it will seem as if I've never gone through a Toll? If yes I think I'll signup to Visitor Toll Pass.
Spot on.

Plus if there ever was a dispute you will have the list of all tolls on the Visitor Toll Pass account you sign up to.

Old 10 Aug 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
MaxieB
Gone all Goofy

Just had a look and it says you can only use get if your flying into Orlando international airport.
Excuse my stupidity 🤪🤪 but as im flying into Sanford I can’t do this?
MaxieB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
voicon
Apprentice Imagineer

voicon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MaxieB View Post
Just had a look and it says you can only use get if your flying into Orlando international airport.
Excuse my stupidity 🤪🤪 but as im flying into Sanford I can’t do this?
Not at the moment, hopefully they will roll it out to other airports but not yet.

Edited at 11:45 AM.
voicon is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List