Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Aug 19, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

Family (not us!) missed flight last night- what happens?

As we were sitting at our gate at MCO last night, the Virgin flight to Gatwick was at absolute final boarding and were putting calls out for a family. The Virgin crew were walking up to random people asking if it was them.

We were expecting people to charge up at the last minute, but they never showed and their luggage was removed from the plane. Our flight left an hour after that one and they never showed up.

We were utterly baffled how that happens; they must have been in the airport. What happens to them? I could imagine it being illegal to put luggage on a plane and then not board.
captbnut is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Sounds a bit dodgy🤔maybe someone taken ill, but surely Airline would know
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Sounds a bit dodgy🤔maybe someone taken ill, but surely Airline would know
I can't think of any situation where at least one of them wouldn't leg it to the gate to say what was happening.
captbnut is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Could be the case that they checked in at Disney springs then their car broke down and they didn't make it to the airport on time.
Old 28 Aug 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

We were almost that family a few weeks ago. We paid to go in the MCO lounge, and said they would announce the flight. Due to a storm all flights were delayed. Half hour before the flight and DH asks the desk about our flight, and told it hasn’t been called yet and will let us know when. 10 minutes later and our names are being announced for last call - mad dash to our gate with three kids. Luckily, the plane was empty, I imagined lots of death stares to our seat.
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Had it happen to us where passenger fell ill but took a while for that to be communicated to the air crew, by which time they’d already removed luggage.

Other thing that does happen more than it should is passengers getting drunk in a security side bar far enough away from the gate that they can’t be located.

Then there was this time when a ‘friend’ (no it definitely wasn’t me) was waiting at the wrong gate in Hong Kong for a BA flight. The flight at this other gate was also going to LHR was Cathay and leaving at the exact same time so I (I mean my friend) assumed it was a codeshare. Sod’s law my correct flight left on time whereas the gate I was at boarded late so by time I realised it was too late. Won’t make that mistake again.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
Could be the case that they checked in at Disney springs then their car broke down and they didn't make it to the airport on time.
I have always wondered what would happen if this situation occurred.

Would it be covered by travel insurance?
Old 28 Aug 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
Had it happen to us where passenger fell ill but took a while for that to be communicated to the air crew, by which time they’d already removed luggage.

Other thing that does happen more than it should is passengers getting drunk in a security side bar far enough away from the gate that they can’t be located.

Then there was this time when a ‘friend’ (no it definitely wasn’t me) was waiting at the wrong gate in Hong Kong for a BA flight. The flight at this other gate was also going to LHR was Cathay and leaving at the exact same time so I (I mean my friend) assumed it was a codeshare. Sod’s law my correct flight left on time whereas the gate I was at boarded late so by time I realised it was too late. Won’t make that mistake again.

I hope your friend learned a valuable lesson
Old 28 Aug 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
gettingthere
Imagineer

My nephew and his wife missed their flight to portugal last month,they were sitting in lounge chilling and lost track of time.
it was his sisters wedding he was going for,took luggage etc off,and they were given an outrageous price for another flight,but got a cheaper one

Edited at 05:53 PM.
gettingthere is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by welshmum View Post
I hope your friend learned a valuable lesson
As punishment they could only find me a seat in PE on the next flight, when my ticket was CW. Yes, lesson learnt!
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List