Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Aug 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Travel Day Report and some LGW Tips

So, currently lying in bed awake on POFQ like a kid on Xmas morning on our first day.

We flew LGW to MCO direct, on the refurbed 777. At 5 days before we were allocated our seats (2a 2c), 4 across the middle in row 30.

We came up on Monday night and did twilight check in for the first time. Really easy and really quick, would thoroughly recommend. LGW is a pain to get to though, how you do it for the first time without sat nav I have no idea - the signage is so poor.

Stayed at South Terminal Premier Inn. A word of warning, their air con is down and the rooms are hot! They're giving out sheets rather than duvets and the rooms have fans but it unfortunately wasn't a pleasant night.

Parked in LGW long stay, got a good deal through looking4parking. That was easy and buses were prompt.

We had breakfast in Jamie's. It was really, really good. Pricey but excellent food and service.

Flight was supposed to leave at 1115 but a late arriving flight and a plane switch meant it was midday before we took off.

Economy seats were good. I'm a big guy but had plenty of legroom and width of seat was fine. PE seats on this plane don't look a patch on the VA ones on a 747.

IFE screen was excellent, and there was a great choice of things to watch.

Food - ummmm. Kids main was awful - chicken and broccoli cheesey pasta which looked rank. Rolls and yoghurt and boots sandwich did the trick. DW had pre ordered a Vegan Asian meal (she is neither) and had a palatable veggie curry although the chick peas were well under done. I had chicken and chorizo casserole which I actually really enjoyed. Strong flavours though which I can't see would be everyone's taste. The quinoa and endame bean salad was mad!

We landed at 4pm ish UK time. Immigration hall was half full but there were lots of staff (ours was friendly! ) and the queue moved fast. 45 minutes to get through and the cases were already unloaded.

Magic Express was great and so useful, neither of us could have driven.

POFQ is lovely, have a requested corner room which is as good as we could have got at budget IMO. Dumped bags and had some food, DS was well happy with his steak. My ribs were also good and I had a well deserved beer.

Basically, nothing was as totally smooth as it could have been but we're here, with our bags and there were no major hold ups.

Splash at 9am. Whoop!
captbnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

Have a great time, who did you fly with ?
Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort
Endless Summer Dockside, Pop Century, Polynesian Resort.
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
gemma-lou
Imagineer

gemma-lou's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Good report on travel day, hope you have a wonderful holiday
2008 - enclave suite - 2010 All Star Sport - 2017 Avanti Resort - 2018 Royal pacific and miami - 2022 Polynesian and Royal Pacific - - February 2024 family trip to Universal Dockside - November 2024 Universal Aventura & CSR DisneyWorld
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/signaturepics/sigpic28388_47.gif
gemma-lou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

We flew from Gatwick to go to Nice last April and stayed at a PI although I can't remember which one. This one had no air con at all and it was stifling in the room, even with the window wide open and a fan on to the point where hardly any sleep was had. This was just a warm spell in April so heaven knows what it would be like in summer!

When I mentioned it at the desk they didn't seem bothered apart from to say that everyone comments on the heat in the hotel. I filled in an online form under the 'guaranteed sleep' policy and had a refund for the room. It's a shame as the hotel is good apart from that and a really handy nice pub next door.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lulu-Belle
Excited about Disney

Sounds lovely. Which airline were you with? We fly on sunday from Gatwick and really hoping there are no issues with the security strike. Have a great holiday
Cabana Bay - 2019
Lulu-Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
We flew from Gatwick to go to Nice last April and stayed at a PI although I can't remember which one. This one had no air con at all and it was stifling in the room, even with the window wide open and a fan on to the point where hardly any sleep was had. This was just a warm spell in April so heaven knows what it would be like in summer!

When I mentioned it at the desk they didn't seem bothered apart from to say that everyone comments on the heat in the hotel. I filled in an online form under the 'guaranteed sleep' policy and had a refund for the room. It's a shame as the hotel is good apart from that and a really handy nice pub next door.
Definitely agree that the staff at the premier inn don't seem to want to deal with customer isues, but as above do call premier inn customer services and claim your refund under their good night's sleep guarantee.

And most importantly have a great time on holiday.

Edited at 02:23 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

We flew with British Airways
captbnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

That's the one we were in. Chef and Brewer pub was handy because Tesco Clubcard paid for our meal!

In defence of the PI staff - there isn't really anything they can do apart from have sheets instead of duvets and have fans. There was an AC unit in there so I assumed it was broken.