Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Jul 23, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mini Trip Report - Amsterdam July 2023

The whole purpose of our trip was to visit my dd, who is doing a summer school at one of the Universities in Amsterdam. It just seemed like the perfect opportunity to visit somewhere we had never been and obviously see her when she was free as well. 4 of us went, myself and dh, my ds (twin brother to dd) and my Auntie. Her and my mum used to holiday together but since we lost my Mum last year I have tried to make sure she has a short break away with us, last year we went to Center Parcs and this year Amsterdam! As my family all live up north, I decided it would be easier if we went closer to there, so booked flights with KLM from Teesside.

Heathrow is usually our go to airport, so flying from Teesside was like a dream! £18 for parking (total bargain and we literally parked right outside the arrivals door so would be close by on our return) and they have the most up to date scanners so no removing electricals or liquids, you just plonk your bag in the tray and walk through the body scanner. We were all through in less than 5 minutes from parking. We all had a lovely breakfast and chilled before our flight.

My dd had been in touch that morning to say there was a yellow weather warning in place that may turn red, and it is very windy and chucking it down. We had gone armed knowing it was a rainy day that day so I wasn't too worried. The view from her window…

We boarded and the captain said it was a busy flight as the earlier flight had been cancelled due to the weather and we wouldn’t be taking off for 40 mins or so as only one runway was open at Schiphol instead of the usual 5 so there was a delay with our landing slot.

We arrived and it was a bumpy flight towards the end, but I have been on worse! That was when I got the text from my dd to say there were no trams, trains or buses running as the weather warning had turned to red. Taxi it is to the hotel then, and she was going to meet us there as all of her lectures had been cancelled for the day. I feel like we were charged more for the taxi due to the circumstances as it was a 12 minute journey and was 60 euros! Anyway, I didn’t say anything and just paid up, as you do!

Where we stayed

Innside by Melia in the financial district. I booked bed and breakfast.

I chose this as when I started to look, all of the hotels in the centre seemed to be extortionate and I needed to book 3 rooms. We had also been to Madrid in May, stayed at a Melia and joined their rewards programme, so it was pretty good value, and there is a tram station literally a stone’s throw from the hotel so it seemed easy to get in and out of the centre that way. It took about 10 minutes to get right into the centre, so not long at all. And there are a lot of bars and restaurants close by to the hotel, including a Wagamama!

The room was spotless, and had everything you would need. The mini bar was included - just soft drinks but a nice touch and I got given a load of Stroopwafels as a gift for being a Melia rewards member.

The breakfast was decent and so much choice, all a buffet but there was an omelette chef if you wanted one.

I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it.

Edited at 01:00 PM.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 23, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

What we did

Van Gogh Museum - we had pre booked to visit here and got us out of the rain that first afternoon!

Canal Boat Trip

Anne Frank Museum - again, I pre booked tickets in advance for this, it’s an absolute must. Tickets are released every Tuesday at 10am, 6 weeks in advance. There are no inside photo’s allowed and it’s just such a sad, sad story. Nothing more to be said on this one.

Tony’s Chocoloney - My dh is called Tony so we had to get the obligatory photo of him in front of the wall! You can build your own bar of flavours!

Zaanse Schans - loved this place and we had beautiful weather as well. We just got the train then it’s a short walk when you get off. Highly recommended for a lovely wander.

Various other sights

Edited at 12:59 PM.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 23, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

What we ate

Cocktails in the Sky Bar of our hotel

Lots of Heineken!

Bulls and Dogs A great burger and hot dog place with fantastic shakes

Manneken Pis for fries

Winkle 43 for Apple Pie

Van Wonderen for Stroopwafel

Coffees/Bakery for treats

Wolfsend - this was in the village area just outside of Zaanse Schans. Amazing food and great service.

We had a great time, we didn’t visit the red light district or any of the “cafe’s”, but still felt like we had a good insight into the city. I had been told that there is an overwhelming smell of weed everywhere, but I only smelt it when we were exploring the side streets where those cafe’s were. I wouldn’t describe it as overwhelming, but then again my sense of smell isn’t great after Covid! However, everyone else said they found it to be the same too. We walked for miles every day and enjoyed some lovely family time.

The tram system is great, we bought a 3 day ticket and it got us everywhere apart from Zaanse Schans and the airport which is a little way out but that only cost a couple of euro’s extra for our trip back - no more expensive taxi's for us!

I think we have probably done it now and ticked it off the list, so I’m not sure about a repeat trip, but never say never.

Edited at 12:53 PM.