Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 5 Feb 17, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Great start. can't wait to see where else you managed to eat on a budget, you've had both lunch and dinner out at restaurants so far which is not bad going.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Day 3

Hollywood Studios

Breakfast was eaten in the studio again. Sean was in his element as he had cold pizza. It's one of his very favourite things so eating leftovers was anything but a hardship. He also had a coffee, made with the in room supplies. I had cereal, biscuits and a cup of tea.

Although we spent the morning at Hollywood Studios, we aren't overwhelmed by the counter service food options there so we took the friendship boat to the Swan and Dolphin to try out something new - Picabu. I'd read recommendations by BevS97 for this restaurant and I'm so glad as it's somewhere we would never have found ourselves, a real hidden gem. It's a cafeteria style so you order at a counter and the food is brought to your table. A service charge is included automatically.
Sean had hot wings and a side of fries plus a coffee.

I had spicy chicken tacos and a carton of orange juice.

In a nod to eating healthily we shared a fruit salad for dessert.

This was a fabulous place to eat and we had a lovely walk along the river back to DHS afterwards. Cost $44.75.
During the afternoon I blew a reckless $3 on a bottle of water.

It was quite late when we got back to Saratoga Springs so we opted for a sandwich at Artist's Palette. Sean had hot ham and cheese which was served with chips

I had a kid's turkey which came with chips, a small water and a little bag of grapes. We also shared a Twix and used our refillable mug for soft drinks.

My sandwich was a little bland but some American mustard from the condiment bar soon livened it up.
Cost $18.77

Total spent today $66.52
Old 5 Feb 17, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
00swan
Imagineer

00swan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Love this - am intrigued to find out if you stuck to your budget

* Orlando: 2006/2007/2010/2014/2016/2017/2018/2019
+ new booking Apr/May 2022

* New York/Orlando mix: 2012

* New York: May 2015/Dec 2021
00swan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Day 4

Lake Eola Park, Disney Springs

Today we went out to Ihop for breakfast. I had a coupon for a free stack of pancakes but our lovely server said we didn't actually have to have pancakes if there was something else we preferred and she would just use the coupon to discount our bill by $7.99.
Sean's choice was a French Toast Combo plus coffee.

I had the quick two egg breakfast with orange juice.

As far as we could see, the only difference between these was that Sean's came with French toast, while mine had ordinary toast. Cost with tip $18.

Next up was a quick trip to Walmart to get some supplies. We bought orange juice, yogurt, water, Krispy Kreme donuts and beer. Sean was pleased to find that they stocked Shiner Bock, a Texan beer he had grown very fond of on several visits we made to Austin a few years ago. Total spent on this little lot was $20.93.

We spent the rest of the morning at Lake Eola Park in downtown Orlando and had lunch at Panera Bread there. I had a citrus, beet and quinoa salad and a water.

The salad came with a bag of chips and once I had removed the small amount of cheese that was crumbled on one side of it, it was yummy.

Sean had a ham and swiss sandwich, a side of mac and cheese and a coffee. His sandwich also came with a bag of chips.

When we were walking round the lake we had noticed there were a lot of homeless people around, so Sean asked for a box to put one of his sandwiches in along with the chips. He also refilled his coffee cup and handed it all to a young man who looked like he could do with something nice to eat. Cost $25.01

Back at Saratoga Springs it wasn't warm enough to swim, so we chilled by the Grandstand pool for a while with some of the donuts we bought earlier and our trusty refillable mug.

The evening was spent at Disney Springs, where we dined at Cookes of Dublin. Sean had fish and chips and a soda.

I had a hog in a box and a water.

The photo doesn't do the hog in a box justice as you can't really see what's in it but it was delicious. There were roast potatoes on the bottom, then a huge pile of roast pork laced through with sweet onions, topped with apple sauce and a small piece of crackling. A bit more crackling and it would have been perfect. Cost $28.12.

Back at the studio Sean had a couple of bottles of Shiner and I had some wine we had brought from home.

Total spent today $92.06

Edited at 06:12 PM.
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Day 5

Shopping

It was back to breakfast in the studio today but thanks to yesterday's shop we had a bit more variety to choose from.

The rest of the morning was spent shopping - the proper kind as opposed to the supermarket kind. As we went to the outlets at the top of International Drive, it seemed a good opportunity to give Millers Ale House a try, somewhere I'd read about a lot on the Dibb but that we'd never visited before.
Sean had a pint of Miller Lite. I wanted a Bud Lite Lime but they didn't stock it, so the server suggested a Bud Lite with Lime instead

I had two coupons, one for a free flat bread and the other for free zingers. After looking at the menu we decided to go for the zingers, plus an Ale House combo, all of which we shared.

This included loaded potato skins, onion rings, mozzarella sticks and nachos with a spinach and cheese dip. I didn't think I would like the dip due to the cheese but it was actually quite tasty. There seemed to be loads of food and we only just finished it. Cost with tip $25

For our evening meal we went to an old favourite, Sweet Tomatoes at Crossroads. I had a coupon for 20% off adult entrees to keep costs down. We loaded up at the salad bar to start with.

This was enough for me but Sean also had some mac and cheese and some pizza.

Had we been hungrier there were plenty of other things we could have had too, including jacket potatoes, a variety of breads, a couple of pasta dishes and several soups. Instead we moved onto dessert. Sean had ice cream

I had a choc chip muffin with chocolate mousse and caramel sauce.

Other items available included a fruit crumble and various cookies and pastries.
Drinks were coffee for Sean and a soda for me, both of which were refillable. Cost $27.06.

The plan had been to then to head to Disney Springs for a cocktail but it had turned quite chilly and we were tired, so we made our way back to Saratoga Springs for beer, wine and trashy TV instead.

Total spent today $52.06
Old 5 Feb 17, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Gemelos
Trying for More Ears

Enjoying your report Hornetgirl - thanks for posting
Gemelos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 17, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Loving this report, you're doing so well at sticking to your budget!

I loves that hog in a box at Cookes of Dublin, so yummy
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 17, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

Mmmm all looks delicious ..but whats hog in a box ?
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 17, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post

great to see that you can do the food on a budget. Following with interest
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 17, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Well done on your budgeting.

What a thoughtful thing to do, giving half a meal to a homeless man.

MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List