Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 20 Jun 17, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
robertgreen99
Getting Excited

If your in a virtual queue do you then walk straight onto the ride or do you just join a smaller queue?
robertgreen99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 17, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by robertgreen99 View Post
If your in a virtual queue do you then walk straight onto the ride or do you just join a smaller queue?
I'm guessing a smaller queue when the time comes. There's no way they can be that accurate that it will be a walk on. Although some rides load much faster and have less loading issues than others.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 17, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

I didn't like the virtual queue at volcano bay still waited about 20 minutes then whilst you have tapped into a queue and cant go on anything else the lazy river was rammed seems a waste of time to me ... but for reasons unknown my other half thought it was a good idea
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 17, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by juless77 View Post
I didn't like the virtual queue at volcano bay still waited about 20 minutes then whilst you have tapped into a queue and cant go on anything else the lazy river was rammed seems a waste of time to me ... but for reasons unknown my other half thought it was a good idea
If the implementation doesn't work it doesn't work, but one hopes they will make progress toward a better system.

Sounds like the lazy river is crammed because of the VQ situation, which is the argument against VQ on this thread.

It's an interesting problem to solve as none of us want to actually stand in line.

Can they come up with a park that has enough non-queue attractions to alleviate the virtual queue? The answer remains to be seen.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 17, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
Agreed, although I'm not keen on just using phones for several reasons. Phones plus kiosks would be fine though
Of course, phones plus kiosks.

I know I'm sometimes not keen to take my phone into the parks with me. Plus - shock, horror - some folks don't even have a smartphone!

Could be good. I guess folks who pay through the nose for onsite would want some benefits in return?!?
Allow them to book 4 or 5 fastpasses when they get into the park rather than 3?

I'm just so anti armchair types (like me) who sit glued to the screen all day, gaining benefits over folks who can't get access to the net so easily. This ROL October thing being a case in point.
The thing is, there isn't that much benefit to be gained if you do sit glued to the screen all day (and you only need to sit glued to the screen from 12pm for an hour or so - not all day).

People seem to have this idea that if you log into MDE at 8pm then the majority of fastpasses will be gone and you'll miss out on lots. That isn't the case. It's true only for 1 or 2 rides.

The current fastpass system smooths out the "first come first served" problem. The old fastpass system didn't. If you weren't in Hollywood Studios within the first hour then you weren't getting a fastpass for TSMM. The same would apply to a virtual queuing system - which the old fastpass system was. Only those who get to AK in the first hour or two would get into the virtual queue for Flight of Passage.

If everything is a virtual queue, then is that really an issue? In other words if being in one queue is affecting your chances of getting on something else would you do it and then not actually ride it?!?

Tapu Tapu denies you access to other queues I think?!?
A virtual queue is just like a regular queue. The only difference is you are not physically standing in a queue.

And like a regular queue, you can only be in one virtual queue at a time.

Are you proposing something different?

I assume you don't want a system where as soon as you enter the park you put yourself into a virtual queue for every ride? Or, more to the point, a system where everyone puts themselves into virtual queues for all the rides they want to go on as soon as they enter. I'm not sure that would work.

I suppose you could have a limit - such as allowing you to be in 2 or 3 queues at the same time. I suspect this would just increase queue lengths. That's great for the first 2 or 3 rides, but not so great for the rest when the virtual queues are now 4 hours long. You still have to find something to do for those 4 hours.

Anyway, now it's starting to sound like Fastpass+ booked on the day. Book 3 FP+s as you enter and then additional ones after you've used the first three.

I think they can and will sort out handling the crowds.
You'd need to give the crowds something else to do. Something that will keep them occupied as long as they would've waited in the queue (which is currently most of the time spent in a theme park). And these can't just be a few shops. You'd need additional entertainment, maybe large theatre shows that can swallow large numbers of people. Otherwise what do you do for several hours whilst waiting to get to the end of the virtual queue?

As we know from Universal and the Harry Potter shops, if enough people want to go in the shops, you end up with queues. The same happens with shows if they are popular enough.

So you'd may end up swapping queues at the attractions for queues at the shops and other places to go to instead.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 06:14 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 17, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
electo
Imagineer

i am not to impressed with the FP system

the daft rule of only getting another FP when all 3 are used is daft

we went to MK and couldn't get another pass till the 6.30pm 7DMT had been used and then your left with not alot to choose from

why cant it be say use 2 and pick another ?
2012/16/18 rosen inn at pointe orlando
2024 storey lake villa
electo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 17, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza68
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Perhaps what Disney should do is keep the existing system but only allow fastpass bookings on the day, rather than 30/60 days beforehand? Maybe even when in the park (i.e. the fastpass system would only enable once you've used the ticket at the tapstiles to enter the park)?
But being able to book at 60 days is one of the few worthwhile perks of paying the premium to stay onsite.
Personally I think the current system is great, others might not.
I like it because I can ride when I like and don't have to get up silly early while on holiday

Edited at 07:12 PM.
Wazza68 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 17, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by electo View Post
why cant it be say use 2 and pick another ?
You can always change your third one if you want. You can do that now. If you get to the park and find that the queues for one of your choices are quite short then you can swap it for another ride (subject to availability, of course).

So, for instance, you could have ditched that 6:30pm 7DMT fastpass and got an earlier fastpass for a different ride instead. That would have given you more choice and more fastpasses over all. But would have meant losing that 7DMT fastpass.

Or just prebook 1 fastpass for 7DMT and then book the other 2 fastpasses once you are there in the park.

You have to remember that fastpasses are supposed to be a relatively rare enhancement applied to a small number of rides per day. You're not supposed to be expected to fastpass the majority of your rides. Because if the majority of people are able to fastpass the majority of rides they go on each day then the fastpass queue will be longer than the regular queue.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 17, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Wazza68 View Post
But being able to book at 60 days is one of the few worthwhile perks of paying the premium to stay onsite.
I was just offering a suggestion. I wasn't trying to imply it was a good idea. Anyway, Disney could come up with another scheme to replace the 60 day perk such as more fastpasses for onsite guests or onsite guests being able to book more tier 1 fastpasses than offsite guests. Or some other scheme that makes it worth paying a premium to stay onsite.

As a perk, to me, it's actually a fairly minor one. It means onsite guests get to fastpass a couple of rides in the whole of WDW that offsite guests will have to queue up for. I wouldn't pay to stay onsite just for that perk.

Anyway, I'm going off topic now. This is supposed to be about virtual queues...

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 21 Jun 17, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
I can see Virtual Queuing working if applied to a relatively small number of attractions in each park.

Universal have already started trialing this. Jimmy Fallon uses a virtual queue and they also tried it with Despicable Me (and I think they also tried it with Shrek 4D and Pteranodon Flyers?).

I can therefore see the following working: 25% (say) of the attractions which historically have longer queues are switched to virtual queues and, whilst waiting in a virtual queue, you are allowed to join the regular queues of any of the remaining 75% of attractions (these would typically have shorter queues).

Someone would have to do a bit of analysis on the percentage that would switch to virtual queuing - 25% was a complete guess. Too many and you force too many people into the regular queues of the other rides.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~