Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jun 17, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
carolynne67
Apprentice Imagineer

San Diego without the Zoo

OH and Me are going to San Diego for four days in September as part of our second California road trip. We have been to a few zoo's in the past with our two sons (Miami etc) and everybody says that the Zoo in San Diego is fantastic but OH doesn't like to see animals in captivity and doesn't want to go. Will we be missing out if we don't go to the zoo? Has anybody been to San Diego and not done the Zoo?

Carolynne
Old 22 Jun 17, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

We didn't do the zoo for the same reason. Dh just refused. And tbh I don't know if I missed anything but I know it didn't impact on the amazing time we had there. There is so much else to do!
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 17, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Hi

We are going to San Diego for 6 nights, so 5 full days and we are not going to the zoo as my husband refuses as he hates to see animals in captivity (he once went to Berlin Zoo and says he has been scarred for life after that experience)

To be honest we have a huge list of other stuff to do so I don't think we will be missing out at all

I can't wait to see San Diego, we are really looking forward to it 😀
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 17, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
San Diego zoo is one of the best in the world, but if zoos are a place you don't want to visit, fair enough, there's plenty more to see and do in one of the best cities in America. Check out Amy's sticky for ideas.
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 17, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Agree with the other replies on this thread. As Uncle Latch said, it's one of the best zoos in the world and the conservation work they've done is second to none. But if you miss out on it, there will still be plenty of other great things to do and see in San Diego. I had good friends from the UK come visit for two weeks last summer and they felt the same way about zoos as your OH, but we still were able to fill those two weeks with them in San Diego with plenty of other activities, as well as a few beach days, and they still had a great time.

Edited at 07:52 PM.
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 17, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

San Diego and the surrounding area has a lot more to offer then just the zoo. Pop to the beach and see the local wild life in their true habit. Take a trip to the park and visit some of the museums. Walk around the bay and see the aircraft carrier.
Just a few other things you could do.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 17, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
carolynne67
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks everybody, I don't feel so bad about missing out on the zoo now, looks like there's plenty to do without it. So far I think we will visit USS Midway and all around that area, La Jolla, go over the bridge and visit Hotel del Coronado and beach, Gas Lamp area, more beaches ... can't wait!
Carolynne
Old 22 Jun 17, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

We did Seaworld one day, explored the city including Coronado on the old town trolley bus another day and went whale watching on the 3rd day

Believe la jolla is lovely.

Dibber AIMS has a massive thread of ideas in San Diego
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 08:48 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 17, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

San Diego is an amazing place. We intended to do the zoo but simply didnt have time. Thats on out list for next year. Plenty of things to do anyway and Aims will point you in the right direction. She was a great help to us and what I liked was she offered advice and options with an unbiased point of view.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 17, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
San Diego is one of those places that seems to have something for everybody. It's a great city for just strolling about, or if you want to go further afield it's easy to navigate in a car. We love to catch an early ferry across to Coronado, then walk across to the Del Coronado Hotel in time for lunch overlooking the lovely beach there (if you drive across the bridge instead, don't park in the hotel car park, the charges are eye-watering!) followed by a stroll on the beach. Lovely!
The USS Midway is very impressive and well worth a visit, especially as you can reward yourself to a side trip to the nearby Cheesecake Factory afterwards.
Point Lomu is both historically important and the place to go for impressive views over the city, and also extremely moving when you see the military cemetery and how beautifully the ground are kept.
The Gaslamp Quarter is great for an evenings entertainment, but can get very busy, but there are plenty of great places to eat throughout the city to satisfy all tastes.
We've been three times now, and I know we'll go back again. Great City...
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List