Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Sep 17, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
johnnysharp2
Excited about Disney

June 2018

Hi,

For various reasons we may be looking at an early June visit for our holiday in 2018, possibly 2nd to 16th.
We went on honeymoon in June, many many years ago but not since.

In an ideal situation we would go late April/early May but that would mean taking Joshua out of the special needs college for more days, so as an alternative June is slightly better in that respect.
We can't really justify the more lengthy absence from my son's college (he is severely autistic/non verbal).

We have seen a decent price on the Thomson Dreamliner so it's not a financial issue.

My understanding of weather is - unpredictable! I know when we visited in May this year there was a drought and then a lengthy downpour.
Crowds on various planning sites are shown as RED, heavy, but my assumption given the fact none of the WDW parks are that quiet anymore is that the crowds won't start to peak until
the middle of the month when a lot of the US schools break up.

Is my thinking correct, any real negatives for first 2 weeks of June?

Thanks,
Johnny

Edited at 04:12 PM.
johnnysharp2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 17, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
sbuck93
Apprentice Imagineer

I've had no problem at all with weather in June. Went in 2015 & 2016 in June and couldn't fault it.

Vegas.Disney.MCFC
sbuck93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 17, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer!
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Been in June a few times and never really had a problem weather wise.
Like you said, disneyworld is rarely quiet anymore, but I’ve never found this time of year any different to our visit in late October etc.
Even booked to go next year early June aswell!
DisneyDreamer! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 17, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Cindy2015
Getting Excited

Mobile

Late April/early May also our preference but last 2 years we've been early June. It's busy but we took our time as one of my boys is autistic too so lots of short days worked ok for us. Weather wise 2016 was glorious, short showers in afternoons. 2017 was a total washout, torrential rainstorms every day for most of the day. Still wouldn't put me off going in June as I think this year was unusual and 2016 was more typical.

Xx
Cindy2015 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 17, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

June is usually the wettest month. 20" of rain fell this June! 8" fell in August by comparison
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 17, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ayeready
Excited about Disney

This June was a wash out. One of the worst in recent times.

There were some days this year when you woke up the rain was there and it stayed for most of the day. Also quite a few overcast days with little sunshine.

It's just your luck at that time of year and unfortunately our luck wasn't in this year.
ayeready is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 17, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile

We have a son with special needs and took him out of his college togo in May many years ago, we thought he would get a lot out of being in
Florida for those weeks and to us he did. He is also non verbal but the look on his face was enough for us and the weather was perfect
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 17, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

My plans for 2018 end up being complete mess and I cancelled trip booked in October to change it to June/July

We are staying onsite, and will make use of early magic hours so we can get out of the parks earlier, and hopefully it's not as hot.

The days in June/July are longer

As it's not our first trip, we don't try to do all attractions anymore

Peak time there are less renovations of headlines attractions

there are various summer events

Both water parks are open

It really suits me going away in the middle of the year. When we have October trip planned we always end up having few holidays as it's too far for me to get my sun fix. When we have April/May holiday planned - it feels so long before Christmas.

It turned out that is very likely my situation will be resolved and I could have gone away in October. I booked flight in June/July so unfortunately this is no longer the case. But honestly, I am actually pretty happy about the change.

We were in Disneyland Caliornia same weeks this year and there was record breaking heat wave while we are there. It was also busy. We still had awesome time and it still feels the perfect time for us to go away.

Also if we travel mid term, I always feel guilty sending my son to school after we come back from long haul. I feel much happier that he will have summer holiday after the trip

I am not too concerned about the weather
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 17, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Also WDW in recent years use crowd prediction to decide on staffing, and while the parks have same number of visitors the waiting times at lower crowd months are increasing due to decreased staff. There are romours that there is often no room avaialblity for October and the resorts looks sold out (on us site, not only here) but the reality is that part of the resorts are not open at all. It's cheaper to loose few bookings than maintain 30% occupied building. This is not confirmed but have been talked about a lot from the likes of Len Testa and other writers of disney planning books

In the summer, the crowds will be highest but staffing will be highest as well

Also, we loved doing Toy Story 6 times in row without any wait last October, it appears we chose the quietest day of the year there! But honestly the parks are lacking atmosphere when it's so quiet.
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 17, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
derekmac
Apprentice Imagineer

We are going then next year, yeah it can be very hot with afternoon thunderstorms, but we have been a few times in June and still love it.
Avanti Resort June 2019, Calypso cay May 2018, Rosen Inn International Sept 2016, Orlando Gateway June 2013, Quality Inn International Sept 2011, Econo Lodge Sept 2010, All Star Music Oct 2009, Holiday Inn I-Drive June 2008, Doubletree Club LBV Oct 2006, Orlando Grand Plaza I-Drive May 2005, Clarion Universal I-Drive May 2004, Best Western Movie June 1999
derekmac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List