Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jul 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

The Importance of checking your ESTA expiry date..

The other day at work I was checking in a family of 4 going to Turkey who should have been going to Florida a couple of days before. They found out at Manchester airport checking into their Thomas Cook flight that 2 of their ESTA's had expired the day before. They managed to apply for the Esta's at the airport but as they did not get instance approval, which came through 30 minutes after the flight left, they were refused travel. Thomas Cook would not even transfer them to a later flight without them paying over £2600, so the family lost their Florida holiday and all monies paid.

So moral of this story is to check and check again the expiry date. If they had had 1 more day they would have been fine.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Oh gosh that must have been so distressing for them. Quite hard to have to give that message too I would imagine.

Yes, check and double check.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post

If you were checking them in four days later I hope that was because there was a happy ending to this?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Miss_Shell
Imagineer

Mobile

My ESTA is my number one priority whenever I am in holiday mode. First thing I do, apply and pay for one, then next is travel insurance. The above scenario is my absolute worst nightmare and don't understand how some people can be so indifferent to their importance
Orlando & Bahamas 1992 - Orlando 1998 - Orlando 1999 - Orlando 2000 - Polynesian Resort - Orlando 2000 - Orlando 2001 - Orlando 2003 - Kissimmee Villa - Orlando 2005 - Christmas - Orlando 2010 - Orlando 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside - Orlando 2012 - Disney Coronado Springs - HHN - Orlando & Hollywood 2014 - Orlando 2016- Disney's Coronado Springs and Universal's Cabana Bay Honeymoon 2017 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside
Miss_Shell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
If you were checking them in four days later I hope that was because there was a happy ending to this?
Looks like they went to Turkey instead. I cant imagine how upset they must have been at finding out at check in that they couldn't go to florida!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

My DD got an e mail saying her ESTA was about to expire, we were confused as we had all applied on the same day. Turned out it was her Passport that was expiring, that was a close one
pompeyboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

We are hoping to go again next may, our Estas run this October, if I can find bargain flights in September, Il be renewing them before expiry date, may actually renew them this week lol
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
they went to Turkey instead
Old 6 Jul 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I would never book a flight to the US or Canada without having an ESTA/ETA valid for the dates. If my ESTA/ETA expired before the travel date I renew these first before booking.
An expensive mistake. And still there are people come on to forums suggesting leaving it to the last minute to eek out their ESTA for another trip for $14.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by pompeyboy View Post
My DD got an e mail saying her ESTA was about to expire, we were confused as we had all applied on the same day. Turned out it was her Passport that was expiring, that was a close one
The ESTA will have still expired (at the same time as the passport). You need a new one for a new passport so hope you’ve reapplied.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List