Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 30 Jun 15, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Connor999
Excited about Disney

Connor999's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Disney buses - my experience - today

Used the Disney buses today to get from Caribbean Beach resort to Epcot. This was our first experience of using them.

We went to the bus stop just after 7.15 aiming to arrive at 8am. We watched several buses pass, all going to different places. There were even 3 following each other going to Hollywood Studios with no passengers. A bus for Epcot eventually arrived at 7.50. As the buses go to other stops we arrived at Epcot at 8.15.

On the way back, it was worse. We waited 30 mins and when the bus drew up, it was jam packed full of people. When they got off, one wished us luck!

We arrived at Caribbean Beach, stopped at Jamaica and what seemed like hundreds of people tried to get on. The bus was full to bursting and still around 30 people could not get on at this first stop. They were not happy. It was definitely unsafe. This scenario continued till we got off. It was like sardines in a tin.

Total nightmare, I would definitely not recommend and would plan to use a car if you are booking a Disney resort. There is not enough buses and the service is very poor and unsafe. Luckily, we have a car so will be using it every day. Never again will I use Disney transport.
Connor999 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 15, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post

It's July 4th week, one of the busiest weeks of the year. It's only going to get worse as the weekend approaches.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 15, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Oh that sounds awful!
We check into CBR a week tomorrow. I did wonder about using the buses, have to say I'm glad we decided to hire a car whilst on Disney now

Edited at 11:41 PM.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 15, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 766
Very Serious Dibber

I think you were very unlucky, to be fair. Or maybe a victim of the time of year.
We have had bad experiences and long waits with Disney buses, but we have also had really good experiences with no waits at all.
Did you inform any of the drivers of the other passing buses that you had waited a long time for an Epcot bus? Drivers can radio through and find out how long it will be or arrange to have a bus dispatched or diverted.
Don't be scared to give the buses another chance xx

Proud DVC owner since 2007
I own at Animal Kingdom Villas and Bay Lake Tower
Tinkerbell 766 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 15, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Hopefully your next experience will be better. We always use Disney buses and are normally there the same time as you are now, we have had the odd bad experience but they were mainly good for us.
Old 1 Jul 15, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
joe 70
Apprentice Imagineer

Buses are buses .A means of transporting large numbers of people from a to b.
They don't suit everyone but to expect a taxi like service at this time of year is a bit much to be honest.Ever travelled on the underground in a major city or a commuter time train?
They are no different re safety and "sardines in a tin".
My experience albeit at different resorts and at different but still busy times of the year has been nothing but positive even after wishes at MK or illuminations at Epcot or Fantasmic at DHS .Whilst you will have your own space in a car you will also still have the traffic,time it takes from car parks to front entrance and driving in a different country to contend with.
Sorry for your bad experience but having a car can be just as,if not more,problematic.
2018 Aurora Villa Virgins/PBH
2019 POR Here we come!
joe 70 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 15, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post
mikejt26
Very Serious Dibber

Just back from a stay @ SSR .
We used buses ,boat transport @ SSR ,Epcot & to Mk , monorail,steam train ,transportation people mover ,car and walking .
@ SSR we were first stop so never had an issue with buses being crowded . Only once we failed to get on a bus or waited more than 20 mins & that was @ MK after wishes .
Back home I get the train in my daily commute & since I have been back I have had cancellations,delays, over crowding,stood on more than 50% of my journeys . Traveled in smelly poorly maintained trains . Give me Disney transport any day
mikejt26 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 15, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Connor999
Excited about Disney

Connor999's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Glad to hear that some people have had a good experience. I can only comment on facts relating to my experience today.

I do not expect a 'taxi service' but would expect that there would be at least one bus which has a chance of allowing EMH to be accessed. One of the HS drivers in the morning went round twice and said that if we were still there the third time, he would take us along with the rest of the people waiting. Several families gave up this morning and took their own car.

Re safety - the amount of people in the bus was just ridiculous. I have been going to Florida for 20 years and have never seen anything like it. We waited for the bus back at 4pm and arrived at our resort stop at 5.20pm. We have too much to see and do to factor in lengthy transport times.

At Epcot, other resorts had queues waiting for buses for some time. I am unsure if Disney have possibly cut back on the number of buses they are using.

I would still advise that anyone booking ensures they hire a car in order to make the most of their Disney experience.
Connor999 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 15, 02:17 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Running a bus system around WDW is logistically simple compared to managing the underground system or bus network of a major city. On that basis I would expect almost 100% efficiency of the WDW buses.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 15, 04:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Ms Finkelstein
Imagineer

Ms Finkelstein's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
We are also here at the moment, staying at Boardwalk, with first 7 days at POR - our experience of the buses is the complete opposite of the OP.

Longest we had to wait was 30 mins for a bus from Blizzard Beach to POR, buses for every other resort went by several times it seemed!

Sometimes it's just your luck, OP, see how things go over the course of your holiday. We find now we use a car less and less, this time we only hired a car for 4 days mid holiday to go to Universal /shopping.

You certainly don't need to hire a car if you stay at Disney in our experience, the buses can be full but they have strict regulations they have to follow so buses can't be overloaded and they are perfectly safe.

Di x

2 Go Mad in Bavaria 2011 - Trip Report Biergarten or Bust 2008 WDW Trip Report
Margarita or Bust - Son of Biergarten 2010 Trip Report
Ms Finkelstein is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread