Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Jun 16, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Agreed that it depends on the manicurist. Have only had it done twice on my nails - first time it only lasted about 5 days on holiday before it started to lift on one or two nails (I'd taken a similar colour nail varnish and was able to touch up - always a good tip!). Second time, I did mention what had happened first time (but it was a different manicurist) and it lasted ages. I did have slightly glittery gels the second time (it was Christmas) and I had a time getting it off! Apparently the glittery ones do last longer? I agree about the nail growth - I have fast growing nails and end up with a lot of regrowth. I just don't bother having my finger nails done now as I find it hassle and worry it will start to come off.

Toes I have done lots of times and lasts up to about 6 weeks. I now have my own kit at home and use it now and again - current colour been on about 4 weeks but it is lifting at the tips of big toes - I think mainly down to wearing shoes so much (had been hoping to wear sandals a bit more by this time of year! ). I wouldn't do my own for holiday as I don't think they last as well as getting them done in the salon.

I think gels have a lovely shine that you just don't get with normal nail varnish. Love having my toe nails done.
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 16, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

I had shellac done a few times and it never lasted more than a few days. I now get gelish which generally lasts me at least 2 weeks (but as my nails are rubbish its usually my nails peeling that causes the chips than it chipping if you see what I mean).
tiggertastic is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 16, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Ms Finkelstein
Imagineer

Ms Finkelstein's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Mines last the full 2 week holiday, never had them chip. There is noticible regrowth by the end of the holiday!

Ive used both Gelish & Shellac, both lasted just as well. I usually take some cuticle conditioner and use that nightly, it seems to help!

Di x

2 Go Mad in Bavaria 2011 - Trip Report Biergarten or Bust 2008 WDW Trip Report
Margarita or Bust - Son of Biergarten 2010 Trip Report
Ms Finkelstein is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 16, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Usually the whole 3 weeks
Old 18 Jun 16, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Lee2112
Imagineer

Mobile

I do my own with Sensationail polish to gel, it's amazing! I honestly don't know how long it can last because I'm a serial varnish picker but I've never seen it to chip. I'll be taking the polish with me cos it's so handy!
Old 18 Jun 16, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
janeywaney
VIP Dibber

janeywaney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

These were mine in September last year, normal polish and lasted 3 weeks.

The nail place I used are fab these only cost me £14 to have done so I was very pleased with the result and the length of time they looked so good.

Jane
August 06 All Star Sports, August 07 All Star Music, OKW August 08 OKW Nov 09 All Star Music Feb 10, OKW Sept 10 OKW Sept 2011 , OKW Nov 2013, Pop Cenury Sept 2014, OKW Sept 2015, OKW Nov 16, OKW Sept 17, OKW Aug 19
janeywaney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 16, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

What if you are having them done for the first tine and your own nails are verry short( i work in a kitchen )what would you recommend
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 16, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
g1970
Imagineer

g1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Coloured shellac/gel always started to peel within a week for me.

I've been getting 'twinkle' nails done (clear coat gel and glitter) for years now...and it lasts until I get it removed.

I like to get a holographic glitter for going away, as its really effective in the sun... and I ALWAYS get compliments on it

Edited at 12:37 PM.
g1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 16, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
suesmum
Apprentice Imagineer

suesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tomdan View Post
What if you are having them done for the first tine and your own nails are verry short( i work in a kitchen )what would you recommend
Mine can get very short as they will break, but for special occasions such as holidays I have an acrylic extension done to lengthen the nail. I don't have them that long though or I can't type etc ... then the gel polish on top. You musn't pick the extensions off though if they start to loosen (hands in water tend to do that after a couple of weeks) as you will damage your own nails, so you do need to have them taken off properly. I don't often have extensions as I do find my own nails seems to weaken, but I defo have them for holidays.
suesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 16, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post

I've had mine last up to six weeks.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread