Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Oct 17, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
We live in a country with the most excessive gun controls in the world, where our Olympic champions have gone due to these laws, yet even with our stringent gun control, virtually every day there is a shooting.
don't get me started on Knife crime, or should we ban all knives?
A knee jerk reaction and especially from the hypocritical democrats as per that ridiculous poster put up earlier on, is not the way this gets solved.
Far too many look at the UK and equate it with the vast wilderness of the USA where wild animals still roam.
Do you know, if gun crime could be solved in three major US cities, their gun crime would be very ,low?
It is definitely a mindset in the USA, are you mad? Frustrated? Jealous? Then wip your gun out and show them who's boss.
I believe Canada actually have more guns per citizen but a much lower rate of gun crime. Read into that what you will.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
maznorm
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by LadyDebs86 View Post
I know the point you're trying to make here but this is the very definition of terrorism. It doesn't need to be linked to IS to be terrorism.
I always thought the definition of terrorism was a violent crime committed for a political or religious agenda. I thought they had no idea on motive yet. Sorry, not trying to be pedantic but I thought that was what it was and would like to know if I'm wrong.
maznorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We live in the country with excessive gun laws that also has one of the lowest rates of death or injury by firepower. (Not all shootings cause death and not all shootings are crimes some are genuine accidents.

The simple truth is if the shooter in Vegas had a hand gun or a non automatic rife the death toll would have been far lower. America has the right to bear arms built into its constitution which makes for difficulties but the founding fathers were thinking, muskets, hand guns and single shot rifles, not automatic or semi automatic weapons of mass destruction . There's no logical reason to sell them to the average John Doe, they aren't hunting guns.
Trump is NRA funded , he will dodge the issue.

No idea what the Olympics bit of the ramble was about unless the poster was referring to Munich ?

Edited at 01:30 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Was the poster perhaps from South Africa and referring to the guy who shot reeva steankamp? I can't recall his name.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Ms Finkelstein
Imagineer

Ms Finkelstein's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
We live in a country with the most excessive gun controls in the world, where our Olympic champions have gone due to these laws, yet even with our stringent gun control, virtually every day there is a shooting.
A knee jerk reaction and especially from the hypocritical democrats as per that ridiculous poster put up earlier on, is not the way this gets solved.
Far too many look at the UK and equate it with the vast wilderness of the USA where wild animals still roam.
Do you know, if gun crime could be solved in three major US cities, their gun crime would be very ,low?
I have no idea what point you're trying to make here?

People die in car accidents everyday - should we ban cars? People drown frequently - should we ban water?

But can you please provide evidence for your claims that there is a shooting every day in the UK. (I'm assuming you mean the UK?)

The only hypocrites are the politicians in America who are bought by the NRA, and who then only offer prayers and no actual legislation to protect the citizens they serve.

And yeah, the wild animal problem in Vegas, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, Columbine, Orlando and Aurora is very relevant.

You need a hunting rifle to protect yourself from wild animals - you don't need weapons designed for battlefield conditions.

Obviously if gun crime in major cities was dealt with, gun crime would be low! That's the point of gun control - it reduces crime by reducing the amount of guns on the street.

More Americans have died due to gun related violence since 1968 compared to ALL the wars in American history. politifact/punditfact...ars-says-colu/

Saying that, there is no point really debating it. The day the US decided that 20 six year olds dying due to a madman with a gun was a price worth paying, was the day the gun control debate was utterly lost.

2 Go Mad in Bavaria 2011 - Trip Report Biergarten or Bust 2008 WDW Trip Report
Margarita or Bust - Son of Biergarten 2010 Trip Report

Edited at 05:16 PM.
Ms Finkelstein is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
The gun used by this terrorist was already illegal in the USA.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I've never needed a gun in 15 visits to Las Vegas ...
I found it very bizarre to see guns for sale in Walmart in Idaho
I have friends who hunt in the US , part of that is teaching their kids respect for firearms ... none of it includes semi automatic weapons. If we want things to change we need to stop talking about banning firearms as a whole and examine the automatic/semi automatic market.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Ms Finkelstein
Imagineer

Ms Finkelstein's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
The gun used by this terrorist was already illegal in the USA.
He used more than one gun.

He had approx. 20 guns in the hotel room with him, and about another 20 at his home.

2 local gun shops say they sold to him and he passed all relevant background checks. nbcnews/storyline/la...checks-n806921

I'm pretty sure most of the weapons he used would have been bought legally. Semi-automatic weapons are not illegal and are easily converted to fully automatic with a little bit of knowledge. abc7ny/gun-experts-vegas-...eapon/2479938/
'Bump stocks' to convert cost from $99.

2 Go Mad in Bavaria 2011 - Trip Report Biergarten or Bust 2008 WDW Trip Report
Margarita or Bust - Son of Biergarten 2010 Trip Report
Ms Finkelstein is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

71 children were killed by accidental gun discharges in the US last year nearly 50% of all accidental gun deaths.

Shouldn't there be some sort of knee jerk reaction to this stat? Or just some reaction?
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A few years back, we saw an advert for a truck and it came with an AK47, if you wanted one. Or $400 off the price of the truck! We were gobsmacked!

If you live in a wilderness with bears and things that could attack you, fine, get a gun, but not for most people.