Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Jul 21, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
logic500
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Robyn89 View Post
No test required for Mexico. An antigen test required for entry to the United States - which I believe is basically a supervised lateral flow test. Most resorts in Mexico offer free antigen testing given they’re largely configured to support tourists from the USA.
Thank you. I was over excited this morning thinking that we could do it this way, not knowing anything about the process.

Really appreciate your reply.

I've totalled up our back up plan to Europe, and we're spending over £5000 on hotels alone. Have found the Hampton by Hilton in Cancun for £49 a night. Plan to do 15 nights there.

Then a flight to MCO using Frontier, about a grand for the four of us.

Hotels in Orlando are now way more expensive than all the ones I'd booked back in January, only cancelled this week too! Can't believe it. Yet still all of our hotels costs in Cancan and Orlando come out at £2500.

Binning our car rental from MIA... so there's a two grand saving there.

I just need to know what the additional cost BA will want from us to take us to Cancun from LGW now.

Slightly giddy thinking about it, but I've run it past my Wife, who's less enthusiastic. She thinks it can't work, as her thinking has been centred around the travel ban for months now.

I can see it working myself.

Then we come back with our original flights from Miami.

Bit a faff getting there... maybe a Greyhound, and a rental one way.

Again the car will be at LGW, but not a major obstacle getting from Heathrow to Gatwick.

Cost of eating out etc will be cheaper than Europe.

Wish I'd looked into this sooner, and not cancelled all my Florida hotels!

Anyhow, I'll call BA, and post back later.
logic500 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

Look forward to hearing back. We did a custom trip with BA for our flights so hopefully it won’t be too painful for you when you call.

The cost of a Europe holiday was exactly what nudged us into doing it. We’ve managed to get the 15 days in Mexico all inclusive for less than a week all inclusive in Kos was going to be.
Robyn89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Look forward to hearing back. We did a custom trip with BA for our flights so hopefully it won’t be too painful for you when you call.

The cost of a Europe holiday was exactly what nudged us into doing it. We’ve managed to get the 15 days in Mexico all inclusive for less than a week all inclusive in Kos was going to be.
I don't know when you booked, but I looked up your hotel last night, and it's VERY expensive - at least by my standards.

On various sites it was between £8k and £12k for 14 nights.

So you either booked early, got a very good deal of your Kos hotel was also not cheap!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
logic500
Excited about Disney

Before I call, and look at the costs, is this definitely do-able? We've got our ESTA's in place, and as long as we're out of the UK for the 15 days, the US won't stop us entering?

Thanks

Rich
logic500 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Originally Posted by logic500 View Post
Before I call, and look at the costs, is this definitely do-able? We've got our ESTA's in place, and as long as we're out of the UK for the 15 days, the US won't stop us entering?

Thanks

Rich
It's perfectly fine on all counts - I know someone who has already done this.

There are some risks though, which you may be comfortable with, but you need to consider in the context of your own family circumstances. I guess the main two are...

1. The US turns "red" whilst you are away, meaning that upon arrival back in the UK you would have to quarantine in a government hotel, at your expense.

2. One of your group testing positive before your return flight, not being permitted to fly and requiring a period of isolation in the US before being able to return. You'd likely have to pay a fair whack for a new one-way ticket also.

(I might be wrong on the second point - I've slightly lost track of what's going on there - but probably worth checking it out)

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
logic500
Excited about Disney

Dug a little deeper on the CDC website, and if I'm understanding it correctly, if you're not fully vaccinated then you need to self isolate in the US for 7 days.

We are both fully vaccinated, but it's whether the US would be happy with our AZ jab status.

cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
Old 7 Jul 21, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
logic500
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
It's perfectly fine on all counts - I know someone who has already done this.

There are some risks though, which you may be comfortable with, but you need to consider in the context of your own family circumstances. I guess the main two are...

1. The US turns "red" whilst you are away, meaning that upon arrival back in the UK you would have to quarantine in a government hotel, at your expense.

2. One of your group testing positive before your return flight, not being permitted to fly and requiring a period of isolation in the US before being able to return. You'd likely have to pay a fair whack for a new one-way ticket also.

(I might be wrong on the second point - I've slightly lost track of what's going on there - but probably worth checking it out)
Thanks Bozza.

Yep I'd thought about the red list thing. That is a risk, but one I'd take.

Just reading about self isolating in the US for 7 days, if you're not fully vaccinated.

We are, but AZ jabs, so they could tell us to self isolate still.

Wow, head blown...
Old 7 Jul 21, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Originally Posted by logic500 View Post
Dug a little deeper on the CDC website, and if I'm understanding it correctly, if you're not fully vaccinated then you need to self isolate in the US for 7 days.

We are both fully vaccinated, but it's whether the US would be happy with our AZ jab status.

cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
It's a recommendation and not enforced.

Very few, if any, people will be doing this.

Part One
Part Two
Old 7 Jul 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
logic500
Excited about Disney

It's a recommendation and not enforced.

Very few, if any, people will be doing this.
I see... fair enough then 😅

The proclamation, which I've just read, says entry is prohibited on the basis of being in the UK for 14 days prior to entry.

So the airline, in Cancun just needs to see proof of a negative test to let you board the flight to MCO.

Can't believe I've not looked into this already.
Old 7 Jul 21, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

I don't know when you booked, but I looked up your hotel last night, and it's VERY expensive - at least by my standards.

On various sites it was between £8k and £12k for 14 nights.

So you either booked early, got a very good deal of your Kos hotel was also not cheap!
We paid £1870 for the hotel for 14 nights. Definitely not £8-12k.

We’re booked from 20 Aug - 3 September so I don’t know if the dates change things. That and there are only 2 of us + 1 infant.

ETA we booked yesterday.
Robyn89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List