Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 27 Mar 21, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Changing resorts and “walking”

So still trying to get my head around this whole DVC thing. We bought at SSR, because for one it was cheaper and also appears to usually have availability. (Also like being walkable to Disney Springs). If I book SSR at 11 months to make sure we’ve got a reservation, can I then change to another resort at 7 months or is that not a possibility? If we wait until 7 months to reserve a different resort and there is no availability I presume there will most likely be room at SSR. No big deal if that’s the case but we would like to try other resorts. Is it a case of being on the button exactly at 7 months from when you want?
Also can someone please explain this “walking” thing, I don’t really understand it.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 21, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Twiggy1953 View Post
If I book SSR at 11 months to make sure we’ve got a reservation, can I then change to another resort at 7 months or is that not a possibility?
Yes, this is the best way of doing it. At 7 months you then try to modify to another resort if you want but if it's not possible you still have your SSR booking as backup. If you want (for example) five days at BLT followed by five days at BWV you should make two separate five day bookings at SSR to start with in separate names.

Is it a case of being on the button exactly at 7 months from when you want?
Yes, simple as that. If you can swap do it as soon as booking opens online at seven months.

Also can someone please explain this “walking” thing, I don’t really understand it.
This works at your home resort for hard to book rooms at busy times. The idea is you make a reservation for a couple of weeks (or more) before you actually need it to secure the room then every few days (at least one day less than the booking) you go online and move the booking. It stops other people seeing the room as available and booking it.
I'm walking two BWV standard view studios for seven days from 7th March - I move them along every four days until we get to the right check in day.

Edited at 05:56 PM.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 21, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I'd guess everyone books their HR first, that way you at least have a room somewhere, this also used to be the advise not to buy VB,HH, aulani etc (unless obviously you were happy to stay there )
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 21, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Yes, this is the best way of doing it. At 7 months you then try to modify to another resort if you want but if it's not possible you still have your SSR booking as backup. If you want (for example) five days at BLT followed by five days at BWV you should make two separate five day bookings at SSR to start with in separate names.

Yes, simple as that. If you can swap do it as soon as booking opens online at seven months.

This works at your home resort for hard to book rooms at busy times. The idea is you make a reservation for a couple of weeks (or more) before you actually need it to secure the room then every few days (at least one day less than the booking) you go online and move the booking. It stops other people seeing the room as available and booking it.
I'm walking two BWV standard view studios for seven days from 7th March - I move them along every four days until we get to the right check in day.
So it’s coming up on when I need to book 2 weeks. I don’t understand why I need to book in separate names if I want a week at SSR and then have the possibility of changing second week to another resort. Why can’t I just book 7 days at SSR and then another 7 days a week later? And then if I can’t get another resort at 7 months do I need to ring MS to combine the 2 bookings to save us having to change rooms?

There should be a DVC for dummies book!
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 21, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

So it’s coming up on when I need to book 2 weeks. I don’t understand why I need to book in separate names if I want a week at SSR and then have the possibility of changing second week to another resort. Why can’t I just book 7 days at SSR and then another 7 days a week later? And then if I can’t get another resort at 7 months do I need to ring MS to combine the 2 bookings to save us having to change rooms?

There should be a DVC for dummies book!
Book them in separate names so they don’t get merged into one by a good intentioned cast member, as this happens sometimes.

Yes and if you end up at SSR call them up and ask them to merge them, with same lead booking name (or use chat).

Edited at 01:28 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 21, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Book them in separate names so they don’t get merged into one by a good intentioned cast member, as this happens sometimes.

Yes and if you end up at SSR call them up and ask them to merge them, with same lead booking name (or use chat).
Thanks, that clarifies things. I may be back with more questions😀
Old 5 Sep 21, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
This is absolutely the way to do it. I’ve already secured 2 of our 3 weeks, booked as individual weeks, so that I can try and modify at 7 months. If we can’t get in anywhere else, at least we’ll have a booking.