Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 24 Sep 21, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Katnic1
Imagineer

All things Dubai!

So after having my half term Florida holiday cancelled yesterday I have re-booked for Dubai. We are flying out for 11 nights, spending the first four nights at the Crowne Plaza apartments which is quite near the Dubai mall, then going to the Riu for 7 nights all inclusive. During the first 4 days we are planning on shopping and sightseeing and are on a room only basis. Can anyone help with the following questions?

Taxis
We need transfers from the airport to the Crowne plaza (at 3am ish) then between each hotel and then back to airport. Do we need to pre-book anything or are they easy enough to find? There will be 4 of us with two large cases and hand luggage, will a standard taxi be ok? (Emirates quoted £50 for a one way from the Riu to airport which is only 15km)
Also will need for getting around, to and from mall etc, can you just grab off street?

Eating out
There seems a good choice at the mall, can anyone recommend any restaurants in the area?

Supermarkets
We have a small kitchen in the room, so are thinking of buying some drinks for the fridge. Can you buy beer from the supermarkets okay?

Burj
Do we need to pre-book a visit or can you just turn up?

Shopping
Are prices any cheaper than in the U.K.? My husband is looking at a fancy watch and there’s a good place at Heathrow but would they be better value out there? Likewise with designer handbags.

Ferrari world
My son quite fancies a visit here. How long does it take to get there and what’s the best way to travel?

Dubai expo.
Emirates have given us free tickets. Does anyone know anything about it? I’ve had a look but don’t know if it’s more a business thing than something you would do with teenagers.

Credit cards
Can you use a credit card pretty much everywhere same as here? I don’t want to take a lot of cash but I guess I will need it for taxis etc?

Entertainer pass
Is it worth getting for the first few days? Won’t need it when we move to the all inclusive, but not sure how much it is to buy and if it would be worth the savings?

Finally If anyone has any other tips or must doos etc, I would be very grateful. Travelling with teens ages 15 and 16.
Katnic1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Essexguy52
I want to go now!

Taxis are easy to get with ranks outside malls, hotels, airport etc.
Its worth getting the entertainer app, its not just food 2 for 1s but drinks, attractions inc ferrari world and other theme parks.So just visiting 1 theme park you would be quids in.
Be sure to check the latest entry requirements into Abu Dhabi as they may differ from Dubai, dont want to make a wasted journey.
We usually just take a taxi from Dubai to Ferrari world etc, cost around £50-£60 each way
theentertainerme/en-ae/dubai-n-emirates
Credit cards can be used everywhere.
cant help with Expo, not been.
Thousands of restaurants in Dubai, we usually make use of those in Entertainer app. Make sure you try one of the Friday Brunches .
Essexguy52 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Katnic1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Essexguy52 View Post
Taxis are easy to get with ranks outside malls, hotels, airport etc.
Its worth getting the entertainer app, its not just food 2 for 1s but drinks, attractions inc ferrari world and other theme parks.So just visiting 1 theme park you would be quids in.
Be sure to check the latest entry requirements into Abu Dhabi as they may differ from Dubai, dont want to make a wasted journey.
We usually just take a taxi from Dubai to Ferrari world etc, cost around £50-£60 each way
theentertainerme/en-ae/dubai-n-emirates
Credit cards can be used everywhere.
cant help with Expo, not been.
Thousands of restaurants in Dubai, we usually make use of those in Entertainer app. Make sure you try one of the Friday Brunches .
Thank you very helpful. If I get the entertainer pass will I have to pre book things or do you just turn up and show them the app for the discount? Also I’m guessing I would need WiFi to use app?
Katnic1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
quartergill
VIP Dibber

Enjoy. Re EXPO we were staying at Lake Como in 2015 when EXPO was at Milan. Knew nothing about it but decided to visit. Great time was had by all. Having been to Dubai I would think they would do it bigger and better. EXPO is essentially a showcase of each country's culture, technology, innovation, and the like. I would recommend a visit.
quartergill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Bads
Trying for More Ears

Taxis

Taxis really easy loads right outside the airport and also larger family taxis, also really easy to hail from street. Make sure you use the RTA taxis and not private taxis which will cost more

Eating out

Pf Changs is my favourite, cheesecake factory in several malls and loads of choice

Supermarkets

Beer and alcohol is definatelt NOT available in supermarkets, best bet is to purchase alcoholic drinks from duty free, which is in the arrivals hall on way though airport.

Burj
I would definitely pre book this online, so you guarantee your preferred time and day

Shopping

Prices are generally compatible with UK and in many cases a bit more expensive than here.

Ferrari world

You can taxi from dubai, it takes about 75 min each way. You can arrange to hire taxi for the day through the dubai RTA (roads and traffic authority)

Dubai expo.

Not sure on this sorry

Credit cards

taxis will take cards, be careful with charges for overseas transactions, otherwise all places will accept credit cards

Entertainer pass
Personally I wouldn't bother for a few days, as only certain places are included in this and you'll find in a bit restrictive on choices, especially for just a few days
Bads is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Katnic1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bads View Post
Taxis

Taxis really easy loads right outside the airport and also larger family taxis, also really easy to hail from street. Make sure you use the RTA taxis and not private taxis which will cost more

Eating out

Pf Changs is my favourite, cheesecake factory in several malls and loads of choice

Supermarkets

Beer and alcohol is definatelt NOT available in supermarkets, best bet is to purchase alcoholic drinks from duty free, which is in the arrivals hall on way though airport.

Burj
I would definitely pre book this online, so you guarantee your preferred time and day

Shopping

Prices are generally compatible with UK and in many cases a bit more expensive than here.

Ferrari world

You can taxi from dubai, it takes about 75 min each way. You can arrange to hire taxi for the day through the dubai RTA (roads and traffic authority)

Dubai expo.

Not sure on this sorry

Credit cards

taxis will take cards, be careful with charges for overseas transactions, otherwise all places will accept credit cards

Entertainer pass
Personally I wouldn't bother for a few days, as only certain places are included in this and you'll find in a bit restrictive on choices, especially for just a few days
Thank you. I’ve just realised our first hotel in opposite Emirates towers metro station only 2 stops down from the mall. Did you use metro at all?
Old 24 Sep 21, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I love dubai, one of my favourite places.

I’ve taken taxis from the airport and from the mall. Both with no issues and by queuing at the taxi ranks.

I love some of the restaurants that have outside dining overlooking the dubai fountains. There are so many choices from familiar chains to more independents. The mall is amazing, it’s not necessarily cheaper but just so smart and a fantastic choice of brands.

We also booked the Burj Khalifa in advance, I think it was a lot cheaper. I’ve been up both in daytime and night, both impressive.

I also love a wander around Madinat Jumeirah in Dubai, love the souk with the waterway backdrop. Also some fantastic restaurants there.

Have an amazing time
Florida Gator is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Bads
Trying for More Ears

Yes use the metro where you can but wouldn't use metro with cases from airport as you'll be lugging around your cases, taxis are cheap
Bads is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Katnic1 View Post
Thank you. I’ve just realised our first hotel in opposite Emirates towers metro station only 2 stops down from the mall. Did you use metro at all?
I was watching a video last night and the metro has women and children only carriages (and a hefty on the spot fine for men wh enter them ) . It looked incredibly clean and efficient .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
donna252
VIP Dibber

Just a quick note on taxis we were there end of august and due to covid restrictions weren’t allowed to sit in front seats of taxis so had to either get 2 for family of four or get hotel to arrange large taxi for us. Most hotels do free shuttles to malls tho.

Obviously this may have changed but something to be aware of.
AoA/RPROct 2014, New York Aug 2015, SSR/Cabana Bay/RPR/Poly March 2016, DLP June 2016, Las Vegas March 2017, DLP July 2017, Vero beach/Yacht Club Oct 2017, DLP March 2018, Dubai April 2018, New York Dec 2018, DLP July 2019, Lapland Dec 2019, Dubai Aug 2022, Disney Magic Sept 2022, Dubai Oct 2022, RPR/AKL/Coronado springs/Contemporary April 2022Lapland Jan 2023, New York, Vero beach, Yacht club and Wilderness Lodge Aug 2023

Edited at 11:08 PM.
donna252 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List