Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Oct 21, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

New(ish) cars

Anyone come across any must buy bargains due to the current climate with a lack of new and second hand cars?

The value of our almost year old mini seems to be increasing by the day, I’m wondering if we should take advantage and sell, but then what to buy? and am I fooling myself because I’d be buying in the same market? any thoughts?
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

my 7 year old mazda has gone up £2k on webuyanycar in the last 2 years

i'd guess selling your current one for extra wont really get you a better car, as they are all more expensive now anyway
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Not if you want one that’s so new again. If you want to go much older so it’s done most of its depreciating then sure
Old 5 Oct 21, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

I am in this situation. I bought my car last October and it is now worth £2k more (and rising). I had planned on selling it in March to buy the newer model but with prices rising and no ‘need’ for the newer model I will probably sell it and buy a smaller car. Once my needs change in Mar/Apr when my 4th child is driving and 5th is learning I won’t have the space on the drive for my big car or the need to ferry them to college and back anymore. I will either buy a much smaller and cheaper car to run around in or will borrow one of my kids cars when I need to as I’m insured on them all and we have 5 cars here so far. There’s always one kid at home at any given time so I’m sure I’ll manage without my own and I can pocket the £30k 😂

OP if your situation is similar and you are going without a car or buying a smaller/cheaper car then yes, go for it. If you are selling just to buy the same/similar again, you won’t be gaining.

Edited at 10:17 AM.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

My son has just done this. Had a 67 plate VW VR estate which he had for just over a year. Sold it for more than he paid, cleared the finance and pocketed the rest.
Now brought a VW Caddy van outright and either putting rear seats in or converting to a small motorhome as apparently you can buy a awning for it.
Old 5 Oct 21, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Same dealer offered £3k more for our Volvo than back in 2019.
No benefit whatsoever as the new car cost more and they were not offering anything of interest.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

I bought my car 2nd Hand for £42,000 in 2015, today the same cars (if you can find them as the model is pretty rare and becoming collectible) are selling for around £50,000-£55,000.
Old 5 Oct 21, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Thanks everyone, we will still need a car, the current situation is quite unusual isn’t it? we’ve bought many new cars over the years and all of them have depreciated markedly, never seen a situation like this before x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
Thanks everyone, we will still need a car, the current situation is quite unusual isn’t it? we’ve bought many new cars over the years and all of them have depreciated markedly, never seen a situation like this before x
New cars do normally depreciate markedly.
If you still need a car and willing to go 5 years old+ or a much lower spec car then sure it’s a good time to sell.
If you aren’t then likely you are actually making your situation worse as the garages will be making money from your swap
Old 5 Oct 21, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
My sister went to trade in her Mazda 6 19 plate, she was looking at a trade in value of £500-700, got 2.5k!

DJ bought a octavia vrs roughly 16 k. To get similar today is 18/19k. Crazy prices cx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List