Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 Oct 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

New Orleans

Hi
How many days would you suggest? I don’t want to stay too long as lots of other stuff to do but equally don’t want to rush it as we may never go back!
And all the must sees? Going with children
I’m sure there were some trippies so will go and find them
TIA
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

I'm going there in December, flying out Christmas Day and flying home overnight on the 30th. I arrive early evening on Christmas Day and will have just under 5 days there. I've got the Dorling Kindersley 'Top 10 New Orleans' book which is absolutely brilliant. It has loads of information on things to do, places to visit etc. On Boxing Day I'm planning on having bunch while cruising on a paddlesteamer on the Mississipi 😀
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I'm sure there is a episode about kids in new Orleans on the beyond bourbon at podcast.

We have been twice (no kids) for 4 dYs and then a week for mardi gras. Still loads we have not seen.
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’ve been before (18 years ago) and we are going again next summer.
We are going for 3 nights which will be enough for us. It’s a bit rough around the edges for us.
Old 19 Oct 21, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I’ve been before (18 years ago) and we are going again next summer.
We are going for 3 nights which will be enough for us. It’s a bit rough around the edges for us.
I visited for work the year before Catrina and it happened to coincide with Halloween like a mini Mardi Gras. I had a wonderful time outside of the conference and we were very well looked after . However I am one for exploring on my own and due to insomnia often in wee small hours - after a stern warning from the Chief of Police that I am endangering myself by doing that I made the most of my only time there but its is FAR too rough for me to feel able to return again and be myself
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I visited for work the year before Catrina and it happened to coincide with Halloween like a mini Mardi Gras. I had a wonderful time outside of the conference and we were very well looked after . However I am one for exploring on my own and due to insomnia often in wee small hours - after a stern warning from the Chief of Police that I am endangering myself by doing that I made the most of my only time there but its is FAR too rough for me to feel able to return again and be myself
Yes the drunks/ addicts in the streets, scammers etc have to be avoided. I always remember driving through to look around the garden district and ending up in some estate- very intimidating place, this was just before the hurricane.
Having said that I can see why people also really like it. Nowhere quite like it. My teenagers I’m sure will find it quite exciting. It’s my daughter who wants to go as her favourite film is Princess and the Frog and she wants to see some live Jazz/ Blues venues.
Shame you couldn’t be yourself there.
Old 19 Oct 21, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Yes the drunks/ addicts in the streets, scammers etc have to be avoided. I always remember driving through to look around the garden district and ending up in some estate- very intimidating place, this was just before the hurricane.
Having said that I can see why people also really like it. Nowhere quite like it. My teenagers I’m sure will find it quite exciting. It’s my daughter who wants to go as her favourite film is Princess and the Frog and she wants to see some live Jazz/ Blues venues.
Shame you couldn’t be yourself there.
Its a city of opposites - had one of the best Saks of 5th Avenue outside of NYC and wonderful French Quarter cafes but after 9pm both a no go area (like the gay area - unfortunately) and I only feel the depravation following the hurricane has made a place I am delighted to have visited but wont return to. I am sure your daughter will have fun as the live Jazz/Blues at the safe end (even then public sex in the door ways during the day was not uncommon - and I have been to Folsom street fair in San Francisco but New Orleans shocked me)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Have been once for a few days and had a great time but daytimes would be better with kids and stick to the tourist areas. The Natchez steamboat is interesting and very early evening on Bourbon street area
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

My 5 night trip in December will be solo. After reading this thread I'm starting to worry. I'm staying in the Omni Royal Hotel near Jackson Square and won't be going out at night. I don't go out at night at home unless it's to the theatre. I'll be happy with a couple of cocktails in the hotel bar. When I go out in the day I'll be sticking to the tourist areas.

I worked for several years on Pentonville Road in the Kings Cross area of London when it was still a haven for beggars, druggies, prostitutes etc and was fine. I always keep aware of my surroundings wherever I go.

Edited at 08:32 PM.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Have been once for a few days and had a great time but daytimes would be better with kids and stick to the tourist areas. The Natchez steamboat is interesting and very early evening on Bourbon street area
We did a trip on a steam boat that had been a brothel - it was as fun night with Ladies of The Night (actresses) and a sheriff’s raid Then some sort of line dancing. Don’t remember the name of the boat but it was an experience for over 21yo’s (I guess because of the liberal liquor consumption ! As it wasnt too rude)