Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3 Nov 12, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Disney Feast West&East Day 34:Stop or my Mom will shoot !- Florida Firearms Adventure Day

A disclaimer for the day – If you ask the 4 chaps in the group, they will have this as one of the best days of the holiday.

I cant say the same and as I am writing the trippy, I may be rather biased so I will try to reflect the fact that they absolutely loved it.

For me, it was ok , mildly terrifying , long, hot, dull and did I mention mildly terrifying ?

This was booked as a birthday treat for Andy – the blurb says it lasts till 2/3 pm and that would give us time to do something else later that day.

I had thought about not booking myself and going to a park. As it turned out I am not sure if I should have done or not. After researching and reading lots of Dibb comments, I settled on this one as it seemed to have the best supervision and overall experience.

When I booked this, Connor had asked me “ what happens if someone just goes mental with a gun “ – to which I had told him not to be so ridiculous but when asked again, I replied that one took cover,quicky, of course.

As the day drew nearer, this conversation began to play on my mind and as someone who does like to have a worry or two on the go, I became convinced that there would be a pyscho in the party and that I was a very BAD parent for taking my children on this type of adventure. So I didn’t set off this morning in a very skippity doodah mood.

Which is not helped by us somehow managing to leave late, with no breakfast and Andy having to put his foot down to get us there on time.

I had taken Dibb advice to have some drinks with us and change for the vending machines ( just a shame they weren’t working, in the 100 degree heat, on a day that lasted 7 hours …….)

Oh well, that one bottle of Fanta will be fine then ……… If you are going, get one of those cheap coolers and take loads of drinks and nibbles with you .

Its out in the back of beyond, down a very dodgy lane, like something out of the movies – shanty shacks, abandoned vehicles, big intimidating dogs , moonshine stills , men with long beards and rifles ( ok, I made the last two up, but it looked like a good fit) .

The set up feels a bit haphazard –and it transpires that it is indeed a haphazard day with the instructors finally telling us some time later that they had been running an hour or two behind schedule – and unfortunately , it showed.

Anyway around 10 its starts – there are 18 people, and one toilet, which you can only use when its unlocked , so this is not the place for you if you have a bladder like a teabag

We are split into two groups and Craig introduces us to the first two guns of the day , the AK47 and M16 – telling us all about them and asking us lots of questions. We also have a comprehensive safety briefing which is good, because under stress it’s very easy to forget and we don’t want any wavy gun pointy moments ….

I get the dubious honour of being first up to fire the AK47

who's gonna stop me , huh ?

I found it quite hard and man it has some kick on your shoulder so I am quite slow – and this is a problem during the day as there are a number of slow firers and fast firers and they would have been better putting us slow peeps together so the fast peeps could do more.

Edited at 06:11 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List