Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 15 Oct 21, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasarah
VIP Dibber

floridasarah's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Christmas dinner at home tends to just be hubby, DS and my dad.

I put the turkey crown in the oven in the morning and prep the veg etc after we have opened presents.

I cook the Aunt Bessie yorkshires early and then just pop them in again for a couple of minutes with the potatoes while I am carving the turkey. That way I have more space in the oven for the potatoes, pigs in blankets and honey parsnips.

Set the table and we usually eat around 2pm then slouch on the sofa for the queen and a movie.

We have christmas pud or pudding during the movie as we are always stuffed after dinnger.

Hubbys parents have done big family Christmas dinners with 12 of us round the table. MIL cooked a lovely dinner and served it on the table on big platters that we could load our plates up on.
floridasarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Oh no, much too early to talk about Christmas dinner.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We don’t do any thing special we just have a normal meal we don’t eat chickens or turkey so may have pork with veg but that it.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Always at the table for Xmas dinner.
I grew up with the big family Christmas. 13 cousins and everyone’s family but now we always have Christmas at home, me hubby and 5 kids. We love being at home, alone for Christmas.

The first year I ever did Christmas dinner I miss judged how long the turkey would take so we didn’t eat until 7pm and we loved it so that’s what we do now!

Lamb or beef cooked slowly over night, turkey and ham go in in the morning. We do presents then breakfast of sausage muffins and pancakes.

Games with the kids then cheese and crackers for lunch then everyone plays or watches a movie while I do some dinner prep.

Baileys on the sofa before the big finish then dinner at 7.

We prefer dinner later because then we can just relax on the sofa, full up. Watch the Xmas specials then maybe a bit of dessert with a late night family movie.
Firstxmastrip is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

The above was last year, smoked the Turkey on the barbecue.

Year before was Yak and Yeti. This year we are booked in Yardbird Miami Beach- yum!

Edited at 01:49 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
For the last 6 years we have had an indian takeaway for Christmas dinner, makes a really relaxing day and we have a Christmassy roast at some stage over the holidays. I wish I had done it years ago when my kids were little so I could have spent more time playing with them instead of busy cooklng.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Elmhurst 5 View Post
Oh no, much too early to talk about Christmas dinner.
Wondering why you would be reading and replying on the Christmas forum then...
skinnybaby is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I put in the crown early, buy ready prepared veg in bags , ready made cauliflower cheese, Paxo stuffing, prep and cook parsnips, overcook the pigs in blankets and cook aunt Bessies Yorkshire puds. I take the most care on my potato’s and they are crispy and soft in the middle and make bistro gravy with a bit of the turkey juices. I do a few starters, all ready prepared by the supermarket like filo prawns, mozerella sticks, spring rolls. It turns out good and everyone enjoys it usually, I used to burn things but seem to have got it better. The table is decorated festive but simple and I’m knackered after cooking and dh does dessert. Then it’s chill in the front room watching a film, presents opened in the morning. I’d love someone else to do the cooking but at least I know it’s edible it I do it!
Aw poppy wants some Christmas dinner 😂😂
She is so cute!
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

We go to my sisters, there are between 12 or 16 people there. My sister married my BIL so same inlaws and siblings hence so many.

It's usually a 2 day affair one day with my family and one with inlaws family all at my sisters. This year its being done in 1 day with everyone so will be interesting!
Old 15 Oct 21, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Gosh I love these threads

So, we always ate at a dining table, I've never had Christmas dinner off my lap.

In the last 5 years we've gone to my brothers as he has a large dining table. There will usually be about 12 of us. We arrive around noon for pre dinner drinks. He will do the turkey and a rack of beef. Everyone else chips in. Mum and Dad bring starters, usually something fishy (salmon, prawns etc) but also they are suckers for the picky grandkids and will do chicken nuggets if that is what they say want as a starter. I will have prepped veggies and potatoes on Christmas Eve so these just get cooked on the day.

After dinner we move to mum's as they have a larger lounge for sitting in, plus they only live about a 2 minute walk from my brothers. This is where we do our tree presents and have dessert. I make a Christmas pudding in November and also do mincemeat and make mince pies on Christmas Eve so pudding is easy and we just need cream.

We also take all the leftovers from the dinner for sandwiches in the evening and Boxing day buffet at mums.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List