Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 4 Jun 15, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
The Crazy Old Maurice Trip May 2015, day 4, Magic Kingdom, Crystal Palace. House Of Blues.

Day 4 13/0515

The Crazy Old Maurice May 2015 Trip Report Index

I was wide awake again at 3.30am. It hadn't been bothering me so far but I hoped it wouldn't catch up with me later. The others were sleeping longer each day and were up by 6am. Queue clothing and footwear arguments as per norm.

Today was our first visit of the holiday to the Magic Kingdom. We decided to get the Disney bus instead of drive due to being dropped off right outside rather than getting the monorail or ferry. We drove later in the holiday and Magic Kingdom is the only park that I'd advise using the Disney buses rather driving if staying at a Disney resort.

We had an early breakfast scheduled at The Crystal Palace so we were at the bus stop at The Springs around 7am. A bus turned up around about 7.15am. There is something nice about being on the Disney buses bar the waiting around for them. I get impatient after about 30 seconds. There were one or two people already on the bus. The Springs is the last stop before heading out of Saratoga Springs. Our room was much closer to The Grandstand stop but by going to The Springs we avoided the 15 minute bus ride around the resort.

It was a lovely feeling as we approached and got our first views of the castle and before we knew it wewere soon off the bus. Slight disagreements were had at the faffing about with the buggy between me and Kelly. That's me being impatient to get going and not Kelly's fault. Yes, we brought a buggy. It was actually handy.

Quickly through bag check and we had made it to the Magic a Kingdom!

When we arrived there were a number of people already there so we joined the queue for entry for breakfast which they had clearly signposted. There were a number of people queuing normally at the turnstiles for what I'm guessing would be Anna and Elsa. For some reason, mine and Marian's Magic Bands wouldn't work so they had to reset our fingerprints and start us again. I think it's more to do with the fingerprints and not the actual band. This happened a lot throughout the holiday while we're in queues. We were normally fine after this time bar Den who it happened to a few times. Give your finger a good wipe before putting it on the scanner.

Around about 7.45am they let us in so we had a slow walk down Main Street taking photos. I had visions of a deserted Main Street but it was packed with people doing early adrs. There seemed to be so many more people than we did an early adr in 2012. Again like last time the views to the castle were a little restricted by works on Main Street and by the work going on around the Hub. Not enough to spoil it though, Evie wasn't happy about posing for photos though.

Busy at 7.50am

Our first stop was to check in at The Crystal Palace. A lady who was around about 103 years old took around about 102 years to check us in. A few more photos were taken while we waited to be called in.

The Crystal Palace was a first for us and we were really looking forward to it. We were called in pretty much straight away into a quiet dinning room. Our server greeted us and showed us to a nice table, took drinks orders and explained what was what. Again see my food report for the review of the food HERE. The characters came round fairly promptly. It started with Ee ore, then Pooh, Tigger and lastly Piglet.

It was good character interaction. We've just picked up on that Lily gets a little nervous so doesn't stop eating when they are near her. It's really funny to watch. The girls had their birthday badges on so they got given signed birthday cards from the characters. We finished up around about 8.50am having really enjoyed it.

As we left, the masses were all coming through the main gates. Before we came on holiday I had signed up to Touring Plans and had made a plan for today. It's not something I really was going to use, DW Kelly didn't like the thought of using a plan, but after yesterday's feeling that we didn't do much I insisted we try and crack on a bit more today. A few words were exchanged over how long it took to sort out the buggy but we then got cracking.

First stop was Peter Pans Flight. A nice little ride but bewildering why it gets such massive queues, we had a 5 minute wait.

Then it was on to a new ride for us, Under The Sea, the journey of the little Mermaid (following the plan,) This was good and we really enjoyed it. It was walk-on as well which is always a bonus. The attention to detail was incredible on the walk up to the ride.

It took a long time to do the FantasyLand expansion but you could see why. Lily was dancing out of the ride afterwards. We then had a photo including a magic shot with a Photopass photographer outside before heading off to the next attraction. I would post but I'm having a bad hair day.

The plan then took us to The Barnstormer. The girls had never tried a rollercoaster before so I was a little nervous. We all rode and we walked straight on bagging the front 3 rows. They loved it. The first climb up I was terrified they were going to hate it but they both loved it! They both begged to go straight back on which we did. Kelly and Den sat out the second go!(purely for taking photos) We got the first 2 rows again. If your kids have never been on a roller coaster before and want to try one then I think this is a great way to start them off.

It was then on to Dumbo. There was a massive difference in how this was from our last visit in 2012. Now with the two rides there wasn't more than a two minute wait for me and Den to take the girls on so there was no need to use the interactive area. I think this was one of our longest queues last time but there was only one Dumbo. While waiting to get on I checked my touring plan times said. It said we should be riding Dumbo at 9.47am. It was 9.45am. Pretty good so far. They both really enjoyed this ride.

So far the plan was working brilliantly. We had a 10 minute wait before our first Fastpass time slot opened up so we grabbed some water, used the facilities before heading over to ride the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train. The standby line was already an hour. It's hard not to feel smug when bypassing the queues! I was a little nervous if the girls would like it but not so much after they had enjoyed the Barnstormer so much. I think Marian and Den were terrified of this ride! It was enjoyable, not worth an hours queue though although again the attention to detail was great. The girls really liked it. It gave me hope for the future in years to come that I will have some ride buddies! I had wisely made a second Fastpass for later in the holiday in case they liked it. The video has shown up in Memory Maker although it's very short.

We then checked on the buggy which we had abandoned earlier by the Tangled Toilets. The girls weren't that impressed with the Tangled toilets by the way. "It's just a toilet!".

We grabbed more lotion for later before heading onto Marian's favourite, It's A Small World. Again we had no wait at all and I don't think we stopped once from entering the line until getting on the boat. The girls enjoyed this and I'll admit I secretly do too. I was wondering to myself as we went round that when they do the maintenance do they leave the music on? It must drive them nuts.

We then walked straight into Mickeys Philomagic. This took us by surprise last time as I know many don't bother with it but it was something we were definitely going to do. Evie doesn't like 3D things but so far we weren't having any issues and no real tantrums about doing this. We all really enjoyed this and think it's a really great attraction. I do feel it should be called Donald's Philomagic though as he's the real star. I noticed on the bits Evie didn't like she'd just lowered her glasses.

Next was a drink and sit down at Gaston's Tavern before our next Fastpass, Enchanted Tales with Belle. There was already a long line coming out of Be Our Guest for lunch as we passed which I didn't like the look of for when we eat there later in the holiday. Me and Den got Le Fou's brew using snack credits. I really liked this but it gave me brain freeze a couple of times! We saw Gaston and went over for a photo but unfortunately we turned away by a cast member saying the line was closed and he'd be back later. We never got here for another try. Added to the list for next time.

We had a 5 minute wait in line at enchanted Tales with Belle. This was a fastpass+ selection but to be honest I don't think the queue was that big anyway. This was very well done though, especially the mirror at the beginning. It was a nice, different way off doing a meet and greet. The girls didn't get plum roles in the show, mainly because they didn't force themselves unlike some of the American kids. Or should I say forced by American parents to force themselves into the plum roles. My girls were picture frames! Again a Photopass photographer handed out cars which I have linked to my Memory Maker account, just like Jedi Training. Only annoying thing, just like the Jedi one is that you get 100 pictures of other people kids. That's not quite right I think.

We had about 10 minutes to wait for our next Fastpass window to open so we popped into Castle Couture to grab some post cards for the girls to send to their friends back home. The plan was to get a character to sign them which we duly did next.

Next up was our last of our 3 Fastpasses. Meet and Greet Cinderella and Rapunzel at Princess Fairytale Hall. I had hoped to get Anna and Elsa but this close to the start of the holiday there was no chance so we had to settle on these two. Again no more than a 5 minute wait for us to see them.

The girls saw Cinderella first and got her autograph before moving over to Rapunzel. Cinderella was a bit vacant to be honest but Rapunzel was totally different. She was really nice and by far the girls favourite we had seen so far. She signed their book and postcards to send to their friends. She was joking and doing curtsies to Marian as she thought she was the queen as we come from England!

Not far from here were the Fastpass stations so we could choose another Fastpass as our initial 3 were done. It was very easy to do and their were cm's standing by I case anyone needed help. I'm sure many did! There was still a fairly big selection of rides available and having now done Fantasyland opted for a different area. We chose Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland. This Fastpass would be open in half an hour so we grabbed the buggy and header over there through the castle. I should say that the hoardings around the hub were noticeable but not annoyingly so.

It was absolutely baking again so we're all sweating. We walked straight on to Buzz Lightyear past a sizeable queue which was enjoyable. It's a fun ride but not as good as TSM. I forget what score I got but it might not have been as good a Kelly's! We tried to take some pictures in the queue but Evie wasn't in the mood and getting annoyed. I somehow managed to drop the girls autograph book under a moving ride! I without thinking reach down and scooped them up. All digits in tact but silly of me.

Right outside was another Fastpass booth. We got one for Monster Inc Laugher Floor. The Fastpass window opened in 10 minutes. This was a pointless fastpass as there was a show stating soon and we just walked in the waiting crowds. Once in we had the little wait outside the doors to the theatre which seemed to take forever. I don't what it is about the ride but the wait always seems to take forever. Perhaps it's my lazy a**e already picturing the seat in an air conditioned room. Once inside we moved all the way to the end of the aisle before watching the show. This was great. Lily was in hysterics the whole way through. I was hoping to be "that guy" but alas no although Marian got picked on once when her face appeared on screen. It was interesting they didn't pick on her again though.

Again back to the Fastpass station where I picked up one for myself for Space Mountain as no one else wanted to ride. I didn't particularly want to either as this ride is painful but felt I owed to myself to ride again. The Fastpass+ system I felt so far was working brilliantly. Anyone who's says you can't maximise them is talking rubbish. I was on my 6th and that opened at 2.45pm.

We were a bit peckish so headed off for a late lunch at Cosmic Rays. Again see my food reportHERE. It was nice, we all had Angus bacon cheeseburgers bar Lily who wasn't hungry. Not my first choice but hit the spot.

I then went off to ride Space Mountain. The Fastpass queue for this is a little annoying though. It was a good 20minute queue while inside. The ride was as painful and uncomfortable as usual! I don't know why I go on it! I love rollercoasters I guess, just not this one. I somehow managed to catch my sunglasses which fell out from my t shirt as we went down a drop and that was the only highlight! Never again. Until next time.

I met up with the others who in the meantime had ridden the teacups.

I was in trouble for taking too long. In my defence I'm not able to give a precise exact time of how long the ride will take and I was no more than 25 minutes. The others wanted to go back to the resort, bar Kelly and I. Kelly thought we hadn't done enough today. I agreed and disagreed. I thought we done loads but didn't particularly want to go back either. Kelly was unhappy about not seeing enough random meet and greets and missing that parade. She thought we spent too much time in certain concentrated areas, but that was my plan. We'd be back other times so I planned to divide the park up so we weren't zig zagging all over. It's hard to with small kids and older people (Marian and Den weren't admitting it but you could see they were struggling). I also had fastpass+ reservations for meet and greets, Wishes and Electric Street parade later in the holiday. I saw her point, she didn't see mine. I'm sure that's familiar to all men.

Lily bought a Merida bow and arrow set on the way out with her birthday money. That she'd been going on about ad nausea em. We used the gift card for the purchase. On the receipt it showed how much we had left on the card. We did a few more Photopass photos near the castle. I embarrassed myself when the photographer said about doing a kiss. I puckered my lips up to the camera but he actually meant me to kiss Kelly!

We got caught by the end of the parade as we were trying to leave so it took awhile to get out.(my fault we missed it but we got a great view later in the holiday) We headed over to the bus stop and incredibly waited only 30 seconds for a bus! This didn't happen once on our entire last visit!

The bus dropped us off at The Grandstand bus stop which was 2 minutes from our room. Me and the girls grabbed our swim gear and header off for a little swim in the Grandstand pool. We had fun on the way using Lily's swimming noodle as a makeshift loudspeaker. It went wrong when I tried to use it as a snorkel. Near vomit induced pool incident. It was fairly quiet in the pool and we had a nice 40 minutes or so before we headed back to the room to get ready for dinner.

Around 6pm we headed down to the boat to catch one over to the West Side of DTD for our 6.45pm adr at the House Of Blues. Whilst waiting for the boat I had to hold my tongue. There was one lady already waiting. She was sat on a bench so we waited behind her, kind of forming a queue. 5 minutes later, two american families completely bypassed us all and went straight ahead of us to the front, others then followed them. I find that really rude and thought perhaps they'd let us on the boat first. Did they? No. Straight on when the boat came. It was a full boat when it left, so I'd have been fuming if we or the other lady hadn't got on. On future trips on the boat we waited right by the boat acting as human shield to block any queue jumpers. Anyhoo.

After a bit of wait for the boat, around 15 minutes, the boats were a bit and hit and miss we found. We arrived on the West Side of Downtown Disney. The House Of Blues is situated right next to the boat dock so we didn't have far to go. We were around 15 minutes early but we still checked in and were seated within 5 minutes. It was our first time here and it was lovely. Again see my food report. HERE. One of my favourite meals of the holiday.

During the meal. Kelly, Marian, Den and Lily discussed looking around the shops afterwards(sigh). Lily was playing up at one point so Kelly threatened her with no shopping if she didn't stop. I whispered to Evie to start playing up so I'd be forced to take her back to the room with no shopping. Luckily shopping plans were abandoned as we're all tired so we decided to call it a day and head back to Saratoga Springs. Amazingly there was a boat waiting. Bit of luck with the transport today!

We had a chill out and the girls watched some Disney channel before bed. That was after a few usual arguments and tantrums over nothing. I remember vividly telling Lily to stop kicking the balloons around like footballs. She came so close to kicking the solid table instead.

Overall I think a very good day!

Edited at 07:47 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 15, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry to comment on something so juvenile......but did you notice the face on the "woman in black" in your Tigger photo?

What did Tigger ever do to her?

Enjoying the TR, so funny!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 15, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
I know! I should have blanked her out! Thanks for reading!
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 15, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
ronnieroobs
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

A good day. House Of Blues looks nice. Looking forward to seeing more.
ronnieroobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 15, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by ronnieroobs View Post
A good day. House Of Blues looks nice. Looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks. Hopefully it won't be too long before the next day.
Old 6 Jun 15, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
asapaj
Trainee Dibber

Another good day
asapaj is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 15, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by asapaj View Post
Another good day
Thanks again.
Old 6 Jun 15, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I hate the fact no-one seems to have the ability to queue for buses/boats in Disney. It makes me irrationally angry.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on using Disney transport vs. taking the car to the MK; I think we might take the bus the days we're going early and returning early (knowing the queues at the bus stop won't be awful mid-afternoon), but drive when we're doing Wishes/MSEP.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 15, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
It's all to do quite timing really. If your not waiting too long then the bus is definitely easier for MK as you have to drive, park, maybe tram then boat or monorail. Took us nearly 45 minutes later in the holiday.

Edited at 09:49 AM.
Old 7 Jun 15, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Bear-family
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Sorry to comment on something so juvenile......but did you notice the face on the "woman in black" in your Tigger photo?

What did Tigger ever do to her?

Enjoying the TR, so funny!
Lol I had to scroll back to take a look at this photo after you'd mentioned it. She does look disgusted doesn't she lol

Lovely pics though 😀
Bear-family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List