Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 12 Mar 17, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
I'll start by saying it's all subjective really, and therefore difficult to communicate how good or bad these things truly are. I kind of expected a bit of stick for my tongue in cheek provocation. I think everyone saying it was great probably set the bar a bit high for us.

A foodie at 5 stars etc... I'd be absolutely shocked if you thought the food was great. I consider myself the opposite of a foodie. The thing is... it's the little things, like for instance food being served hot. Just an example, Flying Fish at the Boardwalk struggled with this, and were a little put out that someone would complain. It wasn't even busy when we went. We sent back 2 of 5, and mine went back twice I think. Everyone said the food was average and one other person would have sent it back but couldn't be bothered.

We're not expecting much, but that's no reason to pretend it's great when it isn't.

I wouldn't say it's awful, although trust me when I say avoid those turkey legs

I don't know, I don't think I'm fussy, but I struggle at these places. BOG was bad, everyone in my party thought the place was terrible and the food was below average

I've heard Victoria and Alberts is very good, but it's a jacket and tie affair I think. Such a pain.

People say good things about Boma and the California Grill, I haven't tried those. Both are at resorts mind, not parks.

Good luck.

I'm keeping that a secret for fear of upsetting even more folks

I did give away Flying Fish in the post above though
But surely that's the point in these threads? We all say where we liked and where we didn't. In order to give people advice about where is good to eat you need to say where you ate that you didn't like and why it wasn't up to par. To be fair, you opened the door when you joined the thread and made your comment. Now back it up.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
But surely that's the point in these threads? We all say where we liked and where we didn't. In order to give people advice about where is good to eat you need to say where you ate that you didn't like and why it wasn't up to par. To be fair, you opened the door when you joined the thread and made your comment. Now back it up.
Of course, but it's still subjective. I think BOG is terrible others don't. That's the proof right there.

The only way this works is if we have some context. For example we both like something and if one of us then gives a review of something similar. Otherwise... no common frame of reference

If my two examples thus far aren't enough, I'm guessing nothing will be

I'll do you a deal... if I try a new one this year, or an old one for that matter, and I like it, I promise to post a positive comment. There's only so many places you can eat for a dining package
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Charlee
Proud to wear my Ears

So last May we ate at:
Rainforest cafe, kona cafe at Polynesian, grand Floridian cafe, boatwrights dining hall at POR, coral reef at Epcot, crossroads house of blues at Disney springs , portobello Italian at DS, nine dragons Chinese in Epcot, turf club and grill at SS, shutters at CBR, yak and yeti in AK, Olivia's cafe at OKW, mama Melrose in HS, t-rex..and probably others but my brains dead... we loved what we ate at all of them other than Nine Dragons which wasn't great food and a bit of a let down... t-rex and rainforest weren't the best either but definitely edible..we were on the DDP and are total foodies. Ridiculously good steak at mama Melrose, we were both surprised.
This year we go for 21 nights and I have 21 TS dinner options ready omnomnom
Charlee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 02:36 AM  
Link to this Post

I'll start by saying it's all subjective really, and therefore difficult to communicate how good or bad these things truly are. I kind of expected a bit of stick for my tongue in cheek provocation. I think everyone saying it was great probably set the bar a bit high for us.

A foodie at 5 stars etc... I'd be absolutely shocked if you thought the food was great. I consider myself the opposite of a foodie. The thing is... it's the little things, like for instance food being served hot. Just an example, Flying Fish at the Boardwalk struggled with this, and were a little put out that someone would complain. It wasn't even busy when we went. We sent back 2 of 5, and mine went back twice I think. Everyone said the food was average and one other person would have sent it back but couldn't be bothered.

We're not expecting much, but that's no reason to pretend it's great when it isn't.

I wouldn't say it's awful, although trust me when I say avoid those turkey legs

I don't know, I don't think I'm fussy, but I struggle at these places. BOG was bad, everyone in my party thought the place was terrible and the food was below average

I've heard Victoria and Alberts is very good, but it's a jacket and tie affair I think. Such a pain.

People say good things about Boma and the California Grill, I haven't tried those. Both are at resorts mind, not parks.

Good luck.

I'm keeping that a secret for fear of upsetting even more folks

I did give away Flying Fish in the post above though
Well as I said, I am not expecting the food to be great across the board. I am a foodie but I don't need fine dining for every meal. I have some signature dining in my plans but I have other bookings that are simple menus but the theming /ambience of the restaurant looks interesting.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Mobile

Of course, but it's still subjective. I think BOG is terrible others don't. That's the proof right there.

The only way this works is if we have some context. For example we both like something and if one of us then gives a review of something similar. Otherwise... no common frame of reference

If my two examples thus far aren't enough, I'm guessing nothing will be

I'll do you a deal... if I try a new one this year, or an old one for that matter, and I like it, I promise to post a positive comment. There's only so many places you can eat for a dining package
It's always subjective but people who start these threads are looking for opinions. If you say you weren't impressed with Disney dining but only mention two restaurants then what you really mean is you didn't rate Be Our Guest and Flying Fish. If there are more that you didn't like then let the OP know.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
It's always subjective but people who start these threads are looking for opinions. If you say you weren't impressed with Disney dining but only mention two restaurants then what you really mean is you didn't rate Be Our Guest and Flying Fish. If there are more that you didn't like then let the OP know.
I understand. Although I had a bad time at FF I wouldn't necessary want to push the negative on that one. The restaurant was nice, and the food average. Same is true more or less for the others I've tried really. I think most folks are probably satisfied with the Disney food, in the same way people like Dennys

BOG however was oversold in the extreme. People said the food was great and loved the restaurant setup. Hence my rather provocative dig
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmandi
Excited about Disney

Emmandi's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 27
Just a few ideas for those who have never used before. Feel free to add or disagree with any

QS

Cosmic Rays - MK - Look I know this isn't fancy, or particularly great, but theres something about the smell of burgers and engine fumes from TLSW!
Columbia Harbour House - MK - Fantastic salmon, and something different to chicken tenders.
Yakitori - DS - Technically it's a snack location, but I cant be without their amazing wraps, a snakc that'll fill you like a QS
Sunshine Seasons - Epcot - Foodcourt layout but LOTS of good Veggie choices.
Yorkshire County Fish Shop - Epcot - No it's not your own favourite local 'chip oil' but it is decent and you can swap a pud for an extra piece of fish!
Yak and Yeti - AK - Tasty 'Asian' food
Be Our Guest - MK - QS lunch is as good as some sit down meals, The French Onion Soup however is not the best in WDW
Flame Tree BBQ - AK - A hefty portion of BBQ goodness.

OK, our table service "must dos" are:

Crystal palace - Buffet in MK with characters
Sanaa - Indian(ish) at AKL - Amazing view out onto the hotel's savannah
Via Napoli - Epcot - Awesome Pizza
San Angel Inn- Epcot - Mexican inside the pyramid by the river ride, doesn't always get great reviews but we love it.
Beaches and Cream - Beach Club - Amazing burgers and puds.
Jungle Skipper Canteen - MK - A new family favourite, well themed and tasty food, something different on the menu to most other eateries!
Sci-Fi Diner - HS - Not amazing food, just burgrs etc but a super cool setting. In an old car at a drive in movie.
Liberty Tree Tavern - MK - Decent quality pub food
Chef de France - Epcot - Tasty Frenchiness
Mama Melrose - HS - Probably one of my favourite Italian/Americans in WDW, think Frankie and Bennies
Tusker House - AK - Great choice buffet and great character interaction
Whispering Canyon - WL - Fun for all the family, and tasty to boot.

Our 2xTS Faves:

California Grill - Contemporary - Book for 8:30ish in summer, watch the sun set, eat some of the best food in WDW then go out to the balcony to watch the fireworks over MK. Nothing in the world makes me happy like this.
Narcoosees Grand Floridian - Lovely seafood.
Citricos- Grand Floridian - Fantastic Mediterranean inspired dishes and the puddings are worth the trip alone!
Artists Point - WL - Outrageously good charcuterie and famous mushroom soup - take a jacket/cardigan, it can be nippy.
Jiko's - AKL - Tasty and different food with an African(ish) flavour.
Hoop-de-do - FW - Not the greatest food, but a real fun show plus unlimited beers/sangria for the grown ups!
Monsieur Paul's - Epcot - Ooooh fancy Frenchie! Grab the Onion Soup!

Hope this helps someone
Emmandi is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Mobile

I understand. Although I had a bad time at FF I wouldn't necessary want to push the negative on that one. The restaurant was nice, and the food average. Same is true more or less for the others I've tried really. I think most folks are probably satisfied with the Disney food, in the same way people like Dennys

BOG however was oversold in the extreme. People said the food was great and loved the restaurant setup. Hence my rather provocative dig
I don't disagree about Be Our Guest. The food is just ok but the setting is amazing. For me it's about having free food so I make the best of it and choose places that I expect good food and I haven't been disappointed.

Trip Report Index
Old 13 Mar 17, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
bigshaz
booked again yippee

On our first day first WDW trip we did Tuskar House breakfast, met all the characters, stuffed ourselves on Mickey Waffles and got into the park early. An amazing morning my girls ( 8 and 10 then) will never forget, the smiles on the photos are amazing. Going to do it all again this summer just not on day one.

DD2 loved Sci Fi diner so returning there too.

Also trying the Sunday brunch at Cali Grill as a lazy treat this time that's my choice
Feb 2011 All Stars Resort, Aug 2017 Port Orleans Riverside & HRH, Aug 2018 Port Orleans French Quarter, Aug 2019 Wilderness Lodge HRH & Contemporary, Feb 2020 Grand Floridian, Aug 2021 Disney Dream, Dec 21 Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge, Feb 22 Port Orleans Riverside, July 22 Port Orleans French Quarter, Feb 23 Staybright Suites Offsite (never again )
bigshaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List