Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 25 Jan 17, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
quartergill
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Beaupink View Post
Just to update... I have finally heard back from them via email and the fine has been dismissed! No explanation as to why but I am relieved!

Thanks for all your advice
Well done. It does seem a bit odd, however, that they just dismiss it like that. Let sleeping dogs lie and leave it at that.
quartergill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 17, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Beaupink
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
Nice result after a bit of anxiety.

Funnily enough this same problem is featured in today's ask Tony in the Daily Mail.

Someone had a $158 request from Avis refused by their bank (Halifax) . Turns out they had jumped a red light and the reply was

"Avis's UK office has collected the photographic evidence ... The standard fine for jumping a red light in Florida is $158 . Avis paid the fine to prevent it escalating and added a $30 administration fee. "

So it looks like Avis can pay the fines. Luckily in your case they didn't. Looks like Halifax are on the ball as well.
Ahhhh I must have missed this! I looked at the mail yesterday too... maybe they knew I wouldn't have to pay it but took their $30 fee anyway! They are now finally investigating after countless emails and telephone calls! I'm just relieved I won't be arrested for non payment when we go in November! I have a copy of the email discounting the fine just in case ...
Beaupink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 17, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
Nice result after a bit of anxiety.

Funnily enough this same problem is featured in today's ask Tony in the Daily Mail.

Someone had a $158 request from Avis refused by their bank (Halifax) . Turns out they had jumped a red light and the reply was

"Avis's UK office has collected the photographic evidence ... The standard fine for jumping a red light in Florida is $158 . Avis paid the fine to prevent it escalating and added a $30 administration fee. "

So it looks like Avis can pay the fines. Luckily in your case they didn't. Looks like Halifax are on the ball as well.
That's how it worked with Alamo and my sons red light violation. First he got a letter from Alamo stating they were taking a $15 admin fee and provided a link for the photo evidence, and to reply if he contested it. He didn't. About a week later Alamo sent another letter saying they were taking the $158 as he hadn't challenged the first letter

Sound like Avis are the same.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 17, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Sorry to be dim, but have you or your friend paid? Or did Avis just decide that you didn't need to? And if so, why would they do that?

We got one through dollar with a link to a little video clip of us clearly going through a red light (I remember dh doing it, we followed the car in front across one of those big junctions) - we just paid it as we'd clearly been in the wrong. Am now wondering if we should've disputed it?
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 17, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
james weir
Imagineer

US Florida law requires the owner of the car to pay any traffic voilations,otherwise the
car would be seized and sold to cover the debt.This is the reason that the car hire company
will charge an admin fee to cover their costs
james weir is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 17, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaupink
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
Sorry to be dim, but have you or your friend paid? Or did Avis just decide that you didn't need to? And if so, why would they do that?

We got one through dollar with a link to a little video clip of us clearly going through a red light (I remember dh doing it, we followed the car in front across one of those big junctions) - we just paid it as we'd clearly been in the wrong. Am now wondering if we should've disputed it?
No neither of us have paid the fine but Avis have taken the admin fee - it is Orange County who issue the fine and it is them we have to pay but they have now said they have dismissed it - only reason we can think of is that on the photographic evidence it says amber light and not red - Avis are now finally investigating with Orange County so hopefully I should hear back from them with an explanation
Beaupink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 17, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
lossieglen
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

It was a few years ago but I wrote to the county clerk indicating that i resided in the uk and was unable to pay the fine electronically and asked for further guidance and noted that if no guidance was forthcoming I would take it that they had dismissed the fine. I never heard from them again.
lossieglen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeysmate
Getting Excited

Just been through the same with dollar had a $158 red light ticket from our last visit in nov 2015 totally forgot all about it . Going back this June and whilst thinking about car hire it suddenly hit me like a wet fish slapped across face that I hadn’t paid d the fine.so whilst trying to sort it out had a week of stress and a few calls to the states.the end result was just the $30 admin charge to dollar for them to pass my details to Orange County, balance to pay on violation was zero,was told that the violation had been dismissed by violations.com and Orange County.