Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 21 Feb 17, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
We haven't ever done this in Orlando, there's just so much food we're not going to go hungry.

In the past on European hols when the kids were toddlers we have taken fruit away from the breakfast buffet. I always felt like a criminal, but the kids hardly ate anything and we don't over fill plates so we don't waste food so I managed to justify for myself.

Perhaps if you're eating breakfast at BOG and they bring you the plate of danish pastry you could quite legitimately put these in a bag for later.

I do hate all the wasted food and the buffets are the worst for this. Some guests pile up their plates and then barely touch it and it ends up being thrown away...maybe it would be good if this was put in a jiffy bag and eaten, but I doubt that these guests really need all that food.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Ds normally takes an apple or banana, dh is normally still leaving munching on a pastry😳
Old 21 Feb 17, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I will be doing this for my daughter. The hubby and I will fill ourselves stupidly up but she won't so where we can miss lunch she can't so I'll make her a little sandwich and take a banana. Character meals aren't cheap and with her only being 4 we will not be getting our monies worth so I will. No shame or embarrassment. I couldn't care less what other people think and some of the responses on this thread are very snobby.

Edited at 10:29 PM.
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Eden
Very Serious Dibber

I'm pretty sure I've read Disney say guests may take a piece of fruit/a danish from the buffets
2019 - Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
2024 - Clearwater/Orlando/Cheerleading Competition!
Eden is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

Read many a trip report on here, and have personal experience of being given a drink to take away at the end of the meal. I don't have an issue with taking a small item for kids especially if it was already on the plate. I've also observed people packing away a whole 'lunch' for later. Clearly that is going too far. Then again I've also seen some people load up on the condiments bar when not buying anything.
Madfish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post

The people who say " by my child will not eat that much, i have paid alot of money for character dining, so i am entitled to take food away "

I ask " what if everyone did this " ? ? ? the cost of Buffets would rise

it reminds me of the excuses for people taking loads of tea bags from food courts, the coffee pods from the DVC lounge etc etc, " oh i have paid alot of money for my holiday, so i am entitled to steal tea bags / coffee pods "

you pay your money at buffets, you know how much it costs, you decide if it is worth it, Purposely going into buffets with ziplock bags and a plan to take food away is not right, we all know it, but some people think due to the fact they have paid alot of money, that is a excuse to lower moral standards

This was one of the downsides of staying at DLH at DLP, at breakfast, you saw everyone making sandwiches with buffet food, filling Tupperware with food, we even watched in amazement as a family emptied the juice containers into wide necked bottles AND then filled a flask with coffee I hope WDW doesnt turn into the same, if you need snacks during the day, pop to walmart and buy them
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Madfish View Post
Read many a trip report on here, and have personal experience of being given a drink to take away at the end of the meal. I don't have an issue with taking a small item for kids especially if it was already on the plate. I've also observed people packing away a whole 'lunch' for later. Clearly that is going too far. Then again I've also seen some people load up on the condiments bar when not buying anything.

thats it, we all know it aswell

take away a drink ( i always have a coffee to go ), a piece of fruit, a danish

but we know going prepared to fill up Tupperware / ziplock bags is wrong
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by elmlea22 View Post
I will be doing this for my daughter. The hubby and I will fill ourselves stupidly up but she won't so where we can miss lunch she can't so I'll make her a little sandwich and take a banana. Character meals aren't cheap and with her only being 4 we will not be getting our monies worth so I will. No shame or embarrassment. I couldn't care less what other people think and some of the responses on this thread are very snobby.

My sons teacher did this on the DLP trip last year, and the year before, and before that as well. At meeting at the school he advised the kids to do it each day so they could have a light lunch. Needless to say the kids were mortified at the thought.

Edited at 11:19 PM.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Oddly we did this in DLP at breakfast a couple of times. We were young and food was expensive. At most I think we had a couple of those small continental rolls with cheese. I wouldn't do it in WDW though, especially if on DDP as there's simply no need. We struggle to use our credits normally.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
From a food hygiene perspective - ham, cheese etc are high risk foods. They should not be kept out of chilled conditions for long. The idea of carrying one round in a plastic bag in the Florida heat is not appealing.

I have no problem with asking if you can take away things you/your family were intending to eat and couldn't finish. And I'm sure a CM would let you take a piece of fruit or something.

However, when you go to a restaurant you have paid for what you eat while you are there. You wouldn't go to a Pizza Hut all you can eat buffet, eat 8 slices and take another 4 home with you. That would just be rude.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List