Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 10 Mar 17, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Haven't tried many Disney restaurants, but I've never been impressed.

BOG is like a Butlins or a school canteen, loud, messy and the food was nothing special.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by aimo View Post
We are increasingly leaning towards keeping our reservation at CBR and making the most of the gift card!
That's exactly what we're doing too 👍🏼😁
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsMo
Having Dinner with Goofy

We've just decided to stay at CBR too after thinking we'd put the holiday back to next year. We've already upgraded to DDP so the spending money should come in handy!

Never stayed at Disney before so this dining plan is all new to me!
MrsMo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post

BOG is like a Butlins or a school canteen, loud, messy and the food was nothing special.
Not sure I've seen many Butlins or school canteens with the exceptional level of theming as Be our Guest? The food is above par for a quick service place for breakfast and lunch and average I think for dinner. There is definitely better food tonne had for a TS choice for dinner.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by aimo View Post
We are increasingly leaning towards keeping our reservation at CBR and making the most of the gift card!
Ah, fair point! Our favourites that have stuck with us after many years of DDP and trying new places are:

Tusker House (breakfast)
Liberty Tree Tavern (dinner)
Le Cellier
The Yachtsman
Narcoossee's
Yak & Yeti

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews

How can you say you've never been impressed when you admit you haven't tried many? I'll admit there are restaurants here in my home town and close by that I'd go to over many Disney restaurants but some of them are excellent.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
How can you say you've never been impressed when you admit you haven't tried many? I'll admit there are restaurants here in my home town and close by that I'd go to over many Disney restaurants but some of them are excellent.
Easy... you try those places people rave about

That said I haven't tried V&A, and that is well received. It's on my list though.

To be honest it makes perfect sense, why would Disney need to make the effort... they have a huge captive audience. Same reason they don't need quality staff.

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Not sure I've seen many Butlins or school canteens with the exceptional level of theming as Be our Guest? The food is above par for a quick service place for breakfast and lunch and average I think for dinner. There is definitely better food tonne had for a TS choice for dinner.
The theme is good I can't disagree with that.

The areas are huge and tightly packed, the staff are lowly paid bored youngsters for the most part, and it's noisy. Hence my joke about Butlins
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews

That said I haven't tried V&A, and that is well received. It's on my list though.

To be honest it makes perfect sense, why would Disney need to make the effort... they have a huge captive audience. Same reason they don't need quality staff.

The areas are huge and tightly packed, the staff are lowly paid bored youngsters for the most part, and it's noisy. Hence my joke about Butlins
Out of curiosity where have you tried?

Trip Report Index
Old 12 Mar 17, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post

I have never been to Disney before, but have been planning my upcoming trip carefully and certainly some things look cheap and cheerful but there are plenty of dining options that look quite promising to me. And I am a foodie and typically stay at 5* hotels and dine at 3* restaurants.

My sister went to Disney a couple of years ago, she said the food was awful. But she went at Christmas, stayed offsite and I know she would not have done any forward planning. Perhaps in that scenario the food would be awful?

Anyway I shall reserve judgement until after my trip.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bridgetx View Post
I have never been to Disney before, but have been planning my upcoming trip carefully and certainly some things look cheap and cheerful but there are plenty of dining options that look quite promising to me. And I am a foodie and typically stay at 5* hotels and dine at 3* restaurants.

My sister went to Disney a couple of years ago, she said the food was awful. But she went at Christmas, stayed offsite and I know she would not have done any forward planning. Perhaps in that scenario the food would be awful?

Anyway I shall reserve judgement until after my trip.
I'll start by saying it's all subjective really, and therefore difficult to communicate how good or bad these things truly are. I kind of expected a bit of stick for my tongue in cheek provocation. I think everyone saying it was great probably set the bar a bit high for us.

A foodie at 5 stars etc... I'd be absolutely shocked if you thought the food was great. I consider myself the opposite of a foodie. The thing is... it's the little things, like for instance food being served hot. Just an example, Flying Fish at the Boardwalk struggled with this, and were a little put out that someone would complain. It wasn't even busy when we went. We sent back 2 of 5, and mine went back twice I think. Everyone said the food was average and one other person would have sent it back but couldn't be bothered.

We're not expecting much, but that's no reason to pretend it's great when it isn't.

I wouldn't say it's awful, although trust me when I say avoid those turkey legs

I don't know, I don't think I'm fussy, but I struggle at these places. BOG was bad, everyone in my party thought the place was terrible and the food was below average

I've heard Victoria and Alberts is very good, but it's a jacket and tie affair I think. Such a pain.

People say good things about Boma and the California Grill, I haven't tried those. Both are at resorts mind, not parks.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Out of curiosity where have you tried?
I'm keeping that a secret for fear of upsetting even more folks

I did give away Flying Fish in the post above though