Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 May 17, 06:26 AM  
Link to this Post
V8Pops
Dancing with Tink'

Yep, well worth doing Avis Preferred..( sign up for which is free )
At MCO , L.A, Chicago, I have paid for a Ford Edge 4-5 times, and the swap isle has had everything from Hyundai`s , VW`s, Mustangs, 7 seaters ...but ive chosen Chevy 4x4 crew-cab or Ford crewcab pick-ups...still 5 seats , but a great view from the drivers seat, and the pick-up bed makes a great viewing/photography/pick-nic platform !

Also you have the " upgrade row/line " where you pay the upgrade DAILY fee shown in the windscreen ...Corvettes...BMW... lots of ways to lose your license...

Enjoy it and stay safe
V8Pops is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 06:35 AM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Wow, so glad I've now read about the swap lane. Loved Alamo last time as enjoyed being able to choose the car, but this sounds a great idea. Silly question but I assume it's really obvious or do you have to go looking for it?
Also will I have had the opportunity to see what we were going to get before we decide to swap?

Edited at 06:41 AM.
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ColinG View Post
Tie your cases to the tailpipe!
Fair point! 😂😂
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
V8Pops
Dancing with Tink'

With Avos Preferred, you bypass the loooong desk queue`s , walk straight to the garage ( onsite at MCO )

1st time rental you go to the kiosk in the garage, they will check your details and allocate a car to you . Then find your car...IF you dont like it, the Swap and Upgrade rows are right there, clearly marked ...choose a new car, TAKE the keys with you and pop back to kiosk to inform them..drive to exit booth , show paperwork to staff who will scan the car barcode on the windscreen, and off you go !

After 1st rental,go straight to garage.. an email will be sent to you on arrival + your name will be on the overhead display boards, find your car..keep/swap, drive to exit, paperwork is checked and off you go.
V8Pops is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
LoveHolidays
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by TEL N KEL View Post
*On an intermediate car or higher.
I'm still not sure if I can swap. Does Group F fall within the intermediate or higher group?

Busy planning Florida holiday number 17
LoveHolidays is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

V8pops-thank you so much. Just taken a screenshot of your post to remind me! Fairly sure we had Avis on our first holiday but was part of a package and didn't know about Avis preferred. Love finding out helpful things like this from fellow Dibbers 😀
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
Old 12 May 17, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
V8Pops
Dancing with Tink'

Last time I paid for a group C, and swapped up to the truck...thats what im doing in 20 weeks time at MCO .
Maybe it has the info you need here :
avis/car-rental/cont...o-US_en-033067
Old 12 May 17, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by COL41 View Post
Thank you. Having read another thread, I'm going to download the AVIS APP and check my BA car hire is synced to AVIS. DH and DD love the thought of a Mustang, but not quite sure how we'll fit four of us and our cases in it!
I have the app on my phone apparently you can open the car door using the app, not tried it yet.

I think you would struggle with 4 in a mustang and that is without luggage.
We had one last year and have one booked this year, the rear seat space is very small leg room in nothing, head room with roof up in the back is low.

Boot space is 2 cases and 2 hand luggage and maybe a few more items stuffed in
Old 12 May 17, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
cra1gyp
Imagineer

We have used Avis 3 times at MCO and wont use anybody else, i think their great, especially the preferred membership. However, i have not heard of the swap/exchange thing before, sounds good even though we have always been happy with our cars it would be nice to be able pick something else if we fancied.
Is there a charge for any upgrade? We always get an intermediate or full size car.
cra1gyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LoveHolidays View Post
I'm still not sure if I can swap. Does Group F fall within the intermediate or higher group?
You do qualify to swap
Class C: Intermediate so any class above this can swap

Class F: Intermediate SUV