Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 May 17, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Thomas Cook downgrade advice please

We have always flown Virgin PE before but for next year we decided to take the plunge and book TC. Obviously this has backfired!

We are on flight MT2604 on 31st August 2018 and have had an email today to say they have changed aircraft and there is no longer a premium cabin. Does anyone know how I find out what plane this is and what IFE it will be?

They have advised they will refund the additional cost and we can keep some perks like priority boarding and increased baggage. I'm going to call them tomorrow but I don't know what to do. It's been a long time since we flew economy but I'm guessing they won't allow us to cancel.

There are exit row seats showing. I wonder if I should ask for these?

I also never received a booking confirmation email so I'm not sure how much that particular leg cost

Any advice dibbers?

Thanks
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Mjspin
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Firstly do not agree to anything until you have checked your rights in his situation. Do not rely on this but I am fairly confident that an involuntary downgrade can entitle you to 75% refund of the entire flight cost, not just the upgrade part of the ticket. I just checked the CAA website and that looks to be correct.
Number one priority is to enjoy your holiday! Might be nice to have some additional spending money!
Mjspin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsFlorida
Trying for More Ears

I received the same email today and we fly in October 2018. We had booked premium for the return journey but the plane has been changed. When I went into my booking and clicked on aircraft it stated 'airtanker'. Not too sure which one but the seating plan is showing the one with 4 seats in row 1 which I think is airtanker 1 which does have seat-back ife. However they may change this at any minute! I phoned them to ask about the flight and they told me I had been given a refund of £400 - £100 for each flight booked. The price of premium as the same as economy when we booked it. I am not very happy as we were really looking forward to flying premium. I managed to get a complaints number which I plan to phone tomorrow.
MrsFlorida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Oops! Just seen that another thread has been started on this topic while I was doing some googling. Sorry!

Thanks for the advice. Please let me know how you get on when you phone them tomorrow.
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
shaz luvs tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shelle View Post
We have always flown Virgin PE before but for next year we decided to take the plunge and book TC. Obviously this has backfired!

We are on flight MT2604 on 31st August 2018 and have had an email today to say they have changed aircraft and there is no longer a premium cabin. Does anyone know how I find out what plane this is and what IFE it will be?

They have advised they will refund the additional cost and we can keep some perks like priority boarding and increased baggage. I'm going to call them tomorrow but I don't know what to do. It's been a long time since we flew economy but I'm guessing they won't allow us to cancel.

There are exit row seats showing. I wonder if I should ask for these?

I also never received a booking confirmation email so I'm not sure how much that particular leg cost

Any advice dibbers?

Thanks
Message papamouse on here. He's dealt with this before and will have good advise. He's offered to help people in this situation.
shaz luvs tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 17, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

We got same email, phoned the number on the email as we wanted premium. I checked if any seats available for the day after, the Saturday. We got change of flights to the Saturday, still in premium, at no extra cost
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 17, 06:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Where are you all flying from? We are flying on 24th September 2018 from Manchester, hopefully won't get that email
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 17, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
ginger
Very Serious Dibber

We're in the same position 😬 Booked the extra leg room seats yesterday but would like to vent my spleen at someone. What is the number please
06Highlands Reserve🌸08 & 09West Haven🌸10YC🌸11West Haven🌸12BC/HRH🌸13SSR🌸14OKW🌸15SSR/Royal Pacific🌸16Carnival Cruise/SSR🌸17Oasis Of The Seas/POFQ🌸18Allure Of The Seas/POFQ 🌸19POFQ 🌸20Abandoned🌸21POFQ 🌸22POFQ Jul&Nov
ginger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 17, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Mobile

Here are your rights if involuntarily downgraded - caa/Passengers/Res...re-downgraded/

Don't accept anything less. If you want to cancel, you should be able to, without penalty, as they cannot provide the service as per the contract.
Old 1 Jun 17, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
Here are your rights if involuntarily downgraded - caa/Passengers/Res...re-downgraded/

Don't accept anything less. If you want to cancel, you should be able to, without penalty, as they cannot provide the service as per the contract.
hello

SK would love your legal take on this as airlines are abusing these rules and CAA are backing them up.

OP you have been "downgraded" - you booked for a higher class and now have been move to a lower class - this is covered under EU rules and policed by PACT at CAA in this country.

heres the EU legislation europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm

I booked in June 2015 for July 2016 trip. 300 days out they downgraded me. I got the PE fund refunded and all the premium perks. When I returned I claimed and got back £1600 and £400 voucher for all the hassle.

Subsequently I have helped other dibbers - but the wording of the law is being used by the airlines to deny claims - but I think I know how to make the best of the situation.

Article 10 in the law covers downgrading - but earlier in the wording, article 2/3 it lays out the scope of the rules.

In relation to being completely bumped off a plane, Article 2/3 says you must check in... so airlines use this against claiming NOW for being downgraded.

I emailed CAA and asked about timescales in relation to downgrading and they emailed back to say there are no timescales!

One dibber who hadn't travelled raised a claim, airline denied it - then the escalated to CAA and they denied it! Due to timescales!

You have been downgraded, but you haven't checked in - therefore claim denied. If you are following the letter of this law.

BUT TC have been very fair to me and in my experience if you escalate and complain properly.

1) the chance to cancel with no penalty
2) move your booking to be on 2 flights with PE as planned,
or you can
3) take the flight, get your PE money back, keep the PE perks, free elr seats and they have in the past offer some cash back too (not up to 75% but people have been happy with what they have offered)
4) if you (following the wording) Have a booking for PE, check in, are downgraded and take the flight - can make the claim when you come back and any comp paid MUST be upped to the 75%, and they must pay within 7 days!

You can claim back up to 6 years ago but once we leave the eu I guess this rule just wont apply any more unless CAA still enforce something.

2024 Early Booker Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List