Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Jun 17, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Tactical Seat Reservations

Hi all,

Before I right this I know not everyone will agree. It's not a post about whether or not you agree, just if you have experience of it.

Thomson Dreamliner is 3 x 3 x 3 (no PE available all sold out when we booked flights).
I'll explain a bit better what the issue is.

My child has a compromised immune system, her Consultant advises that we keep a distance of 3 feet from strangers on an aircraft.

We normally try and sit her at the window at the back of premium section then she has someone next to her (her friend is coming with us this year) and myself and my husband in front of her.

Because of this seating configuration being 3 even if I sit in a row with her and her friend that leaves 2 seats right in front of her where strangers will be sat. That's the reason for my concerns.

Before anyone says unhelpful comments like "Well don't go on a plane" "What do you do in everyday life" etc... please don't. In everyday life school know not to sit her close to anyone with a respiratory infection and we can get up and walk away if we are somewhere close to someone coughing in normal life but on a plane you are kind of stuck in that seat for 9 hours.

I am happy to buy 2 extra seats to get round this but the airline say if nobody is checking into them they could still be used which I find a bit unfair if I've already paid for them.

Some sites recommend where there are two of you and the configuration is 3 you should book the window and aisle seat because people are less likely to book the middle seat when checking in although there is always the chance the airline could move you or book someone into that seat. I'm not sure if Thomson allows you to do this it may make you select seats together.

Has anyone ever tried this and did it work?

Thanks

Edited at 03:53 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

There was a thread about this recently, if I can find it I'll post the link. Personally, I find it a risky tactic as a couple. If the flight is full, you will end up with someone between you and they may not always be willing to swap. If I was to try it, I would do the middle 3 rather than at a window as I find the sides always fill up much faster.

Similarly when I travel solo, I always book an aisle seat in the middle section. Especially when it's a 3-3-3 configuration. On a fuller flight, I'll pick one next to a booking of 2 as it's more than likely going to be a couple and they'll nudge the other when they want to get up and leave me in peace. On a quieter flight, I'll choose the opposite aisle to a single occupied seat. For the same reason as above - I've found the very centre of the plane is always the last to fill up, regardless of class.

It's worked every time so far.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Could the other person that you are travelling with sit next to the stranger rather than you?

There is also a risk that if you do as suggested you might have a stranger next to you without your travelling companion sitting next to you on the other side.

Edited at 03:24 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Why don't you just sit on the aisle seat and your OH have the middle seat?

Are you expecting the flight to be quiet with a load of spare seats? as they're usually pretty full.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mousemad
Imagineer

mousemad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We flew with Virgin & for our return flight I booked extra legroom seats to try them. Cost £45 each but that little bit of extra room made all the difference!
I booked seats B & C & left the window seat vacant as I hate having to ask someone to move to go to the loo (i'm always up & down a few times on the flight). We lucked out as the window seat was empty so we had the 3 seats to ourselves plus the extra legroom.
Doesn't always work though as we did it last year up in the bubble & someone was in the window seat.

We went on a cruise with Thomson last October & I tried to leave the window seat vacant but it wouldn't let me & the only way it would let me book seats was leaving the aisle seat empty, which ended up being occupied.
'18 Madeira beach*'17 Vero beach*'16 40th wedding trip*'15 Siesta Key,Barefoot*'14 Lilli&Joe 1st trip*'13 Cruise,Ft L'dale & AMI*'12 Barefoot,AMI*'11 12go2c Harry*'11 DH B'day Cruise*'10 Barefoot*09 Ft L'dale,Kissimmee*07 Big50,Orlando,Cruise*07 Barefoot*06 Kissimmee*05 Orlando*02 San Diego,Vegas,LA*99 San Diego,Vegas,LA*93 Kissimmee,Clearwater*90 Orlando*81, Ft L'dale,KeyWest,Orlando
mousemad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mousemad
Imagineer

mousemad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
Why don't you just sit on the aisle seat and your OH have the middle seat?

Are you expecting the flight to be quiet with a load of spare seats? as they're usually pretty full.
I always let DH have the aisle seat so he cant stretch his legs out.
'18 Madeira beach*'17 Vero beach*'16 40th wedding trip*'15 Siesta Key,Barefoot*'14 Lilli&Joe 1st trip*'13 Cruise,Ft L'dale & AMI*'12 Barefoot,AMI*'11 12go2c Harry*'11 DH B'day Cruise*'10 Barefoot*09 Ft L'dale,Kissimmee*07 Big50,Orlando,Cruise*07 Barefoot*06 Kissimmee*05 Orlando*02 San Diego,Vegas,LA*99 San Diego,Vegas,LA*93 Kissimmee,Clearwater*90 Orlando*81, Ft L'dale,KeyWest,Orlando
mousemad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

After an horrendous experience a few years ago I get anxious at the thought of sitting next to a stranger and so does my two older children as it really put them off flying for a while.
We are a family of 5 so someone has to sit next to a stranger which has to be my husband. We book a row of 3 then 2 in the row in front (so they can recline onto us with no hassle) we would never, ever risk booking a isle & window seat because then there is a high chance a stranger will be sat in the middle.
I hate flying, really hate flying! I hate having my personal space being invaded and hate the thought of all the germs lol but it's a means to an end.
I would suggest you sit in the isle seat and your partner in the middle x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for all the suggestions x

Edited at 03:54 PM.
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Sorry to hear about your family issues.

I would phone an adviser and tell them what the situation is and get them to help problem solve it with you.

Hope it works out.
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Can you not do a dummy run to see if you can book aisle and window seats?

Even if you can though, you have the possibility of having someone sat in the middle seat although hopefully they may move to allow you and your partner to sit together.

Trouble is a LOT of people are aware of this and no doubt we'll see an increase in people trying to book aisle and window seats in the hope of getting a 'free seat' in the middle. Sooner or later the airlines will click onto this and probably put measures in place to prevent it.

In any event it's going to be difficult getting a 3 feet ' zone ' free of other travellers on an airplane. I do wish you the very best of luck with this. Have you spoken to your carriers and asked if they can help at all?

Originally Posted by TinkGlasgow View Post
Hi all,

Before I right this I know not everyone will agree. It's not a post about whether or not you agree, just if you have experience of it.

Thomson Dreamliner is 3 x 3 x 3 (no PE available all sold out when we booked flights).

For various reasons which I won't go into, I don't like being seated next to a stranger in such close proximity for 9 hours.

Some sites recommend where there are two of you and the configuration is 3 you should book the window and aisle seat because people are less likely to book the middle seat when checking in although there is always the chance the airline could move you or book someone into that seat. I'm not sure if Thomson allows you to do this it may make you select seats together.

Has anyone ever tried this and did it work?

I did ask about buying the spare seat but they told me even if I bought it as nobody checked in to use it, there is nothing to stop that seat I bought being allocated.

Thanks

Edited at 03:47 PM.