Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Oct 17, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Should I pay to reserve seats on Virgin?

Hi all,

Well we've gone and booked again - eek! My oldest goes to school next September and so we thought we'd squeeze a cheeky trip in next May before we are confined to school holidays and chances are we can't afford to go for a couple of years.
Anyway we had enough Virgin miles for the return flights so we bit the bullet. We usually travel premium economy but we've booked four economy return seats so my son can have a seat too even though he won't be 2 he will be very close so thought best to get him a seat. I didn't have enough miles for PE return and I'm not sure we can afford PE taxes so booked economy.
We didn't prebook the seats though. The guy on the phone said not to bother and just to call 72hrs in advance and then we can book them for free as we are flying club members. However it's making me nervous and I'm worrying about us being split up but it's another £240 to pre book.

What should I do? Do you think we will be ok? My kids are 1&3.

Thank you
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 17, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

We booked. Going next week and our kids (10&8) haven't flown before. The idea of being separated was too much stress for me to handle, even though it would probably be ok.

Technically, even at that age you don't have to be seated next to each other. Personally I'd book, certainty on seating was worth £240 for us. But half people will tell you to book and half will say save your money!
captbnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 17, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

Mobile

I thought with children under 12 they would seat you together? Also with flying club do you all need to be members or as lead passenger can you book everyone’s seats on your booking?
EllieP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 17, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Mobile

We Booked and paid for outbound in bubble.. Just doing 72 hours on return
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 17, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by captbnut View Post
We booked. Going next week and our kids (10&8) haven't flown before. The idea of being separated was too much stress for me to handle, even though it would probably be ok.

Technically, even at that age you don't have to be seated next to each other. Personally I'd book, certainty on seating was worth £240 for us. But half people will tell you to book and half will say save your money!
Crikey do you think they will? He was adamant they would y withkids being so young but I am worried obviously. Hubby reckons it'll be ok but I'm not sure so thought I'd ask to see if it's happened to others. Thanks
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 17, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Exactly as above, you will get mixed opinions. So I will put both sides 😀

May should be a quiet time so you will likely be able to get seats together for free 72 hours before you travel. You have to all register (even the children so its easier to ring to sign up) as Flying Club members, this is free to do. If you are not a flying club member, you can book seats 24 hours before you fly. This may also be possible to ensure seats together but not certain. Of course, it is unlikely that Virgin would seat such young children as yours from a parent, but they could give you 2 together and 2 elsewhere or opposite sides of an aisle.
The only way to be entirely sure of the seats you want is to pay for them. Unless you do, you can't really expect to be sitting with the rest of your party.

To be honest, for peace of mind, I would pay. It does annoy me how much Virgin (and other airlines) charge for this but they know people will pay it. I just factor it in the same way as any other costs that have to be paid.

Although our DD is 16 now so we don't pay for seating together on short haul anymore as we have no problem with being apart for a few hours. However, the furthest apart we have ever been without paying for seats is 2 of us together and DH sitting behind or in front of us.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 17, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by EllieP View Post
I thought with children under 12 they would seat you together? Also with flying club do you all need to be members or as lead passenger can you book everyone’s seats on your booking?
Well he was saying they would accommodate us. Ironically we couldn't prebook in PE in the end due to Irma so right up to the day before flying we were unassigned but they did seat us together so imhoping that's a good sign but I doubt they'd spilt us up in PE. I just like to book and be sorted.

Yes we do all need to be members. Me and hubby are but I need to set my daughter up. They said as my son was classes as a baby he didn't need a flying club account though?
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
Old 14 Oct 17, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
g1970
Imagineer

g1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
I always book (and theres only the 2 of us). It's factored into the overall cost when booking flights
g1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 17, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
We Booked and paid for outbound in bubble.. Just doing 72 hours on return
The bubble is gone already! But maybe that's a plan and just do one way? Are you worried about the way back?
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
Old 14 Oct 17, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Exactly as above, you will get mixed opinions. So I will put both sides 😀

May should be a quiet time so you will likely be able to get seats together for free 72 hours before you travel. You have to all register (even the children so its easier to ring to sign up) as Flying Club members, this is free to do. If you are not a flying club member, you can book seats 24 hours before you fly. This may also be possible to ensure seats together but not certain. Of course, it is unlikely that Virgin would seat such young children as yours from a parent, but they could give you 2 together and 2 elsewhere or opposite sides of an aisle.
The only way to be entirely sure of the seats you want is to pay for them. Unless you do, you can't really expect to be sitting with the rest of your party.

To be honest, for peace of mind, I would pay. It does annoy me how much Virgin (and other airlines) charge for this but they know people will pay it. I just factor it in the same way as any other costs that have to be paid.

Although our DD is 16 now so we don't pay for seating together on short haul anymore as we have no problem with being apart for a few hours. However, the furthest apart we have ever been without paying for seats is 2 of us together and DH sitting behind or in front of us.
Thanks. Food for thought for sure. Ironically it's £240 to prebook and it cost us £300 for PE this year in total! Might see how much it would be to upgrade when we get our upgrade voucher. That said it won't be for a while til we get it. Argh chicken and egg!
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL