Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Nov 17, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by willssv View Post
We flew in August with my eldest sons passport expiring only 3 weeks after we came back. We flew with BA and they never queried anything in either direction.

However, at Miami we couldn't use the kiosks so had to see an immigration officer. Although I expected this, it made my son particularly twitchy. The 20 min queue we had was very uncomfortably. The immigration officer made us feel quite uncomfortable too.

If I'm ever in the same situation I will ensure that the passports have 6 months on them even though I know it is perfectly safe to travel with less than 6 months expiry remaining.
This is what happened to us at Miami too, we all used the kiosk with no problem but my son was not able... easily sorted with a friendly immigration officer... sorry you had someone who made you feel ill at ease, not what you need after a long flight!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 17, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
laurac1988
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
No. Virgin Holidays clearly states the following:

"You must have a full and valid passport. Some destinations require you to have 6 months validity on your passport from the return date of travel. You should check with the Embassy for current requirements as these are subject to change...
...For full details of passport requirements for your chosen holiday please contact the British Passport Office on 0870 521 0410 or gov.uk/government/organis...assport-office. The US embassy can be contacted on 0207 499 9000 or https://uk.usembassy.gov/".

They say some destinations require 6 months and advise you to check the embassy for the actual requirements for your destination. That is entirely correct and true and not misleading.

Now, there may be some employees and managers at VH who have given out incorrect or misleading information but that's a problem with the individual, and is not VH's stance.

If anything, American Airlines is one of the worst culprits and does have incorrect information on their website. AA's website says the following:

"Passports must be:
Valid for at least 6 months after the date you enter a foreign country".

Now, I think that's aimed at US citizens rather than British travellers, even though that's the UK website. But it's still wrong.

So hopefully you don't fly with AA?
I booked on the phone with VH. She specifically told me we MUST have 6 months. Right after she told me we couldn’t use the magical express because it doesn’t exist and trying to sell me their £35pp transfers...
laurac1988 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 17, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi duchy, each time the 6 month rule rears it's head I always think about your scenario, incredulous that the manager did indeed ring the people stating they'd been given incorrect info and all had to reapply for passports! Utterly shameful that she wasn't willing to learn, preferring to cause that family unecessary pp costs.
At least I knew , however a new hire trained by the company will accept it as truth and perpetuate the myth. I'd love to see someone take one of these six month peddlers to court and reclaim the costs of the passport and the time wasted. Until it hits these companies in the pocket and reputation, nothing will change.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 17, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by laurac1988 View Post
I booked on the phone with VH. She specifically told me we MUST have 6 months. Right after she told me we couldn’t use the magical express because it doesn’t exist and trying to sell me their £35pp transfers...
<sigh>
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 17, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
I suspect that I know the answer, but does this also apply to Irish passports? DH is an Irish citizen resident in the UK. When we travel in Feb he’ll have about 4 months validity on his passport. I blithely assumed that the rules would be the same. Any Irish citizens able to reassure me? The various links posted just detail countries which allow an overstay after expiry?
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 17, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
I suspect that I know the answer, but does this also apply to Irish passports? DH is an Irish citizen resident in the UK. When we travel in Feb he’ll have about 4 months validity on his passport. I blithely assumed that the rules would be the same. Any Irish citizens able to reassure me? The various links posted just detail countries which allow an overstay after expiry?
Hello, hello Ms PM Yes, it includes Ireland. If it's any help take a peek at THIS CBP link regarding the 'Six Month Club'. Once it's opened click on the pdf and you'll see there's a lot of countries who are members of the Six Month Club. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll copy and paste it for you
Old 7 Nov 17, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hello, hello Ms PM Yes, it includes Ireland. If it's any help take a peek at THIS CBP link regarding the 'Six Month Club'. Once it's opened click on the pdf and you'll see there's a lot of countries who are members of the Six Month Club. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll copy and paste it for you
Thanks, Chris. I was originally sure, but you know what it’s like when people start discussing it. Blimmin’ Irish, eh?!
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 17, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Please show me an airline that flys UK to USA that says in print in their terms that you need six months validity on passport if you are a British Citizen?
I haven’t found any so far.
Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
There has never been a single case reported here of any airline ever refusing to fly anyone with a valid UK passport, ever.
If you read my post I never said you needed 6 months with a UK airline.. I was pointing out that airlines could and some do have terms which go above what the legal requirements are in their Terms of Carriage which every passenger would have agreed to when making any booking.

IF an airline says you need 6 months or any other length of time on your passport to travel with them then that's what you need to travel with them, end of story. Although I agree I've never heard of anyone being refused for having less than 6 months with a UK airline on a UK passport but it doesn't mean it can't happen...

Any way, it seems one poster who works for Thomas Cook has said some passengers have been told its 6 months...

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 17, 01:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by bighal View Post
IF an airline says you need 6 months or any other length of time on your passport to travel with them then that's what you need to travel with them, end of story. Although I agree I've never heard of anyone being refused for having less than 6 months with a UK airline on a UK passport but it doesn't mean it can't happen...

Any way, it seems one poster who works for Thomas Cook has said some passengers have been told its 6 months...
Again to remove any elemement of doubt which you seem to want to give. No-one, absolutely no-one has ever posted on the dibb that with a UK passport any, that is any airline flying from the UK has ever, I repeat ever stopped them from flying because they have less than 6 months on their UK passport.

This is not a difficult question. Its a black and white issue. Do you need 6 months on your UK passport to go to the USA. The answer is no.

END OF STORY
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 17, 01:59 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
If you read my post I never said you needed 6 months with a UK airline.. I was pointing out that airlines could and some do have terms which go above what the legal requirements are in their Terms of Carriage which every passenger would have agreed to when making any booking.

Hi Hal... read of the odd airline who state they require 6 month remaining on pp's, and whilst I appreciate what you say, surely enforcement for US bound Brit pp holders would be in direct conflict of UK/US Gov rules? I wonder if this is an airline 'covering our back' sweeping Term of Carriage rule.

Re Thomas Cook, as Duchy said, they quote '6 month', but in the case of a Brit citizen travelling to the US that's incorrect, and again in conflict of official US/UK Gov rulings. Whilst TA's apparently quote a blanket 6 month rule to cover travel to all countries, they could add a caveat advising travellers visit the official Gov website for definitive info. Duchy's stubborn manager was lax at best and unless the family did further individual research it cost 4 unnecessary pp renewals.