Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Feb 18, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools2
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Very interesting thread which will always raise lots of opinions.

Yes I have a son allergic to nuts - Yes I have seen him go into Anaphylactic shock, I've seen his head swell to twice the size it should be, I've seen him struggling for breath and floating in and out of consciousness, whilst medics try to stabilise him. It was the most frightening thing as a parent I have ever witnessed.

Would I ask for the rest of the plane not to eat nuts? Hell NO. Would I trust everyone to respect the request to not eat nuts ... Hell No.
Everyone is different I personally would not want to draw attention to my sons condition and he certainly wouldn't want the attention. In reality the risk will always be there whether an announcement is made or not. Someone mentioned earlier what about the person who sat on your seat munching their way through a packet of KP on the previous flight leaving all the little nut crumbs trapped down the side of the seat? Or the person who refuses to obey and will eat them anyway. May be they ate them out of sight in the toilet (gross I know) before you went in there. You will never eradicate the risk so you make the decision to get on with your life and if that means getting on a plane that is your decision not your fellow passengers.

My son's consultant told us many years ago it is a myth about nuts on a plane and you can not go into anaphylactic shock just because someone opened a bag of nuts 4 rows in front of you. The nut has to come into contact with the allergic person and more importantly has to be digested.

Life is for living we still enjoy nuts and will happily tuck into our cashew nuts which they still hand out in BA Club World whilst our son politely refuses them. Its not the nuts you can actually see you need to worry about it's the ones hidden in the food you need to check about.

After 10 plus years of flying with the condition so far so good.
Old 12 Feb 18, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bubbasmum
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jools2 View Post

My son's consultant told us many years ago it is a myth about nuts on a plane and you can not go into anaphylactic shock just because someone opened a bag of nuts 4 rows in front of you. The nut has to come into contact with the allergic person and more importantly has to be digested.
Great comments... only one I would question is a consultant who tells you it's a myth that you can go into anaphylactic shock when someone around opens a bag of nuts.

From knowing parent with a child with airbourne nut allergy... this is certainly not the case and quite a dangerous statement to make.

Although, saying that, if my son or my allergy were airbourne I think I would definitely be apprehensive about getting on a long hail flight.

POFQ 2006
DLP Hotel New York 2010 & 2011
OKW 2013
Championsgate 2014
Disneyland Hotel at Disneyland Paris 2015
Disney Magic Cruise - Barcelona 2015
Disney Magic Cruise - Norwejian Fjords 2016
SSR 2016, SSR 2018
Bubbasmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
the willys
Excited about Disney

I really feel for all of you having to live with this, the stress and worry planning even just day to day outings must be unbearable.
I have never had an issue if an announcement is made to refrain from eating nuts on my flight. ( its happened only once) I would never knowingly want to put anyone in harm. I love a bag of salted nuts with me wine but hey ho, not if it risks making someone seriously ill.
That said i was still ignorant to this condition and i feel i am more aware and understanding for reading this post.

OP it was definitely the right thing to ask the question. My guess is those on this post that didn't agree with the majority have now gone quiet and have learnt quite a lot

Have a happy holiday x
Old 12 Feb 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bubbasmum View Post
Great comments... only one I would question is a consultant who tells you it's a myth that you can go into anaphylactic shock when someone around opens a bag of nuts.

From knowing parent with a child with airbourne nut allergy... this is certainly not the case and quite a dangerous statement to make.

Although, saying that, if my son or my allergy were airbourne I think I would definitely be apprehensive about getting on a long hail flight.
Its certainly not a myth. Lots of people argue the risk is low though.

For me if there is a risk then its a reasonable request to refrain from eating nuts.

What bothers me about the "its no ones problem but mine/theirs" is that this is then used to stop people with other medical issues and disabilities from flying when other passengers or airlines won't make reasonable adjustments.

Luckily for disabled people this would be illegal - and boy have they had to fight for their protections. Its a shame people with certain medical conditions aren't getting as much thought.

Edited at 03:16 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools2
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1

This is an argument that will never be agreed upon, but just a quick google brings up lots of interesting reading and information from medical staff in the know.

peanutsusa/about-pea...and-facts.html

dailymail/health/ar...gered-way.html

peanut-institute/eating-well/allergy/
Old 12 Feb 18, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post

I believe it's best to be cautious and out rule any issues that may cause severe harm to somebody who cannot control their allergens or significant delays to airline times to refuse anything onboard that could cause one of these situations. Just save yourself till you get off the plane and eat all the nuts you like!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Jools2 View Post
This is an argument that will never be agreed upon, but just a quick google brings up lots of interesting reading and information from medical staff in the know.

peanutsusa/about-pea...and-facts.html

dailymail/health/ar...gered-way.html

peanut-institute/eating-well/allergy/
Interesting reads - thank you.

As you have said, the risk of cross contamination is more where I am likely to suffer from. I always have hand sanitizer on me to reduce the risk before I eat. Trouble is, I am more at risk of eating the airplane food as they never seem to know what is in it!

I only developed my tree nut allergy from the age of 18. When I initially went to the Doctors, his response was “well don’t eat them then”. I think we have come a long way since those days!

Ten years ago, I ate a mint cornetto whilst at a zoo on holiday in Devon with my family. Unbeknown to me, Cornetto decided to change the tip to a hazelnut paste in the bottom of the cornet. I didn’t check the ingredients as I had had them lots of times before. I ended up in hospital.

When I returned home, the Doctor referred me to the allergy testing clinic, where I was issued my Eli-pens. They told me that as I get older, my allergy severity will increase, which it has. I can no longer eat any boxed chocolates that have no wrappers on them

My husband and children have been brought up in a house to be more considerate. If they have Nutella on toast, they put the knife in the dishwasher, after use and Dettox the worktop...

I just think it is about being more considerate to those around us... , and if we can reduce the risk to our fellow human beings, whatever the allergy, then I am more than happy to help, by not eating peanuts (strangely, I can eat these!).
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Bubbasmum
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hooray4Disney View Post
Interesting reads - thank you.

As you have said, the risk of cross contamination is more where I am likely to suffer from. I always have hand sanitizer on me to reduce the risk before I eat. Trouble is, I am more at risk of eating the airplane food as they never seem to know what is in it!

I only developed my tree nut allergy from the age of 18. When I initially went to the Doctors, his response was “well don’t eat them then”. I think we have come a long way since those days!

Ten years ago, I ate a mint cornetto whilst at a zoo on holiday in Devon with my family. Unbeknown to me, Cornetto decided to change the tip to a hazelnut paste in the bottom of the cornet. I didn’t check the ingredients as I had had them lots of times before. I ended up in hospital.

When I returned home, the Doctor referred me to the allergy testing clinic, where I was issued my Eli-pens. They told me that as I get older, my allergy severity will increase, which it has. I can no longer eat any boxed chocolates that have no wrappers on them

My husband and children have been brought up in a house to be more considerate. If they have Nutella on toast, they put the knife in the dishwasher, after use and Dettox the worktop...

I just think it is about being more considerate to those around us... , and if we can reduce the risk to our fellow human beings, whatever the allergy, then I am more than happy to help, by not eating peanuts (strangely, I can eat these!).

I always think it's more awkward for people who develop the allergy later on in life, I've had it from birth so when people ask... don't you miss nuts... nope never had them and they can kill me so it's not anything I miss.

However, especially when we are in FLorida, I look at all the lovely looking treats and things with nuts and just think... wow... they can all fill their boots when they get there !

POFQ 2006
DLP Hotel New York 2010 & 2011
OKW 2013
Championsgate 2014
Disneyland Hotel at Disneyland Paris 2015
Disney Magic Cruise - Barcelona 2015
Disney Magic Cruise - Norwejian Fjords 2016
SSR 2016, SSR 2018
Bubbasmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I always think it's more awkward for people who develop the allergy later on in life, I've had it from birth so when people ask... don't you miss nuts... nope never had them and they can kill me so it's not anything I miss.

However, especially when we are in FLorida, I look at all the lovely looking treats and things with nuts and just think... wow... they can all fill their boots when they get there !
I kind of agree with you here ... I still miss Hazelnut praline chocolates. I used to be able to eat the Purple Quality Streets but then not eat the hazelnut... cannot go near these now!

I have to say though that the USA are leading the way with people with allergies - I feel completely safe and not so different when ordering in restaurants, when I am holiday. For me, when I order ice-cream from the parlour in Main Street and they go out the back to ensure that there is no cross-contamination is rather quite special.

The last time I had an anaphylactic shock was in a restaurant for my friends Hen Party - they knew in advance of my allergies and the food was pre-ordered. Yet, they still served me a main course with almonds in... an ambulance had to be called

If there was anything I could do to not be allergic, then I would - it is something that I did not choose to be and where the theorists are wrong. I ate hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds from a young age and was not protected from eating nuts.
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List