Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Feb 18, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
...Next, they will start banning meat on planes as it offends.
Being offended by meat is poles apart from having a life-threatening reaction to nuts.

As an aside, a bag of nuts used to be such a standard snack on flights, were nut allergies much more rare, then, I wonder?

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Im sorry, I know people are going to be mixed about this, but I stand on the side that feels that why should, 1) the airline be responsible for telling everyone and 2) why should everyone have to be careful what they eat.
It is up to the passenger to feel that they can fly and are healthy to fly.
I have flown several different airlines in the last few years and twice on American owned ones, they have told allergy sufferers that they would not limit anything and they would have to disembark if they were not safe to fly. A UK one did announce but passengers ignored it and the staff admitted there was nothing they could actually do to stop people.
You could be sitting next to or near someone who decides to open nuts either knowingly or unknowingly what ever is announced.

Next, they will start banning meat on planes as it offends.
Wow... Just simply... WOW
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Im sorry, I know people are going to be mixed about this, but I stand on the side that feels that why should, 1) the airline be responsible for telling everyone and 2) why should everyone have to be careful what they eat.
It is up to the passenger to feel that they can fly and are healthy to fly.
I have flown several different airlines in the last few years and twice on American owned ones, they have told allergy sufferers that they would not limit anything and they would have to disembark if they were not safe to fly. A UK one did announce but passengers ignored it and the staff admitted there was nothing they could actually do to stop people.
You could be sitting next to or near someone who decides to open nuts either knowingly or unknowingly what ever is announced.

Next, they will start banning meat on planes as it offends.
I wonder if Amy or her family share your views ...

dailymail/femail/ar...t-allergy.html

I have a severe tree nut allergy, and I carry two epi-pens.

Your post has left me speechless
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hooray4Disney View Post
I wonder if Amy or her family share your views ...

dailymail/femail/ar...t-allergy.html

I have a severe tree nut allergy, and I carry two epi-pens.

Your post has left me speechless
They won't be reading your reply sorry. Currently parked in a disable car parking space as its not their problem if other people have mobility issues.

Some people just don't care beyond their own little self obsessed world.

Edited at 11:04 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ros1 View Post
What a disgusting point of view. My 7 year old son suffers from severe nut allergy and we are flying to Florida in May so this is something we are worried about. Nut allergy is not about offending people, it is not a choice. Do you have children? How would you feel seeing your child's face swell like the elephant man because somebody near them opened a bag of nuts? Why would you knowingly cause someone harm and disrupt the travel plans of everyone on that flight? Why should my child miss out on an experience like Florida just so people like you are not inconvenienced for 8 hours? Need a snack? Open a bag of raisins instead.
I have every sympathy with your son and others in his position. However what if there are people on there who are allergic to raisins? Aren't they important? The daughter of one of my friends is allergic to bananas - it's so bad she can't even go into any shops that sell them. If she was on a flight would people be told not to eat bananas?
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I personally would want any food that could cause anaphylactic reactions banned on my fight, the alternative is an emergency landing to get medical help,
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I have every sympathy with your son and others in his position. However what if there are people on there who are allergic to raisins? Aren't they important? The daughter of one of my friends is allergic to bananas - it's so bad she can't even go into any shops that sell them. If she was on a flight would people be told not to eat bananas?
I know someone with a banana allergy. As long as they don't eat or touch one they are fine. I don't think simply breathing (as with peanuts) can cause a reaction ?
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Our son is 25. We found out about his peanut allergy since he was 5. It was extremely rare then. Now it is much more common. I am constantly amazed by how much even the vapour from peanuts can make him feel sick. He is and always has been extremely careful with what he eats, as it could kill him, and fortunately until recently ha has only had a few incidents where there have been peanuts used in a sauce, when he had clearly been told when ordering that no peanuts were used. Treated with Epi Pen and Ok.

Last month, and I won’t go into full details, he ate a baked biscuit, without checking the ingeadients and had immediate anaphylactic shock. Luckily epi pen treatment was used and medical help was available at the time. His face was swollen but he stabilised. A short while afterwards, still being monitored he was violently sick, and his body started to shut down. He was treated by more Adrenalin and steroids, and recovered, and after night in hospital was fine next day, but we were lucky not to lose him.

We were on Virgin flight last year, and informed them in advance, and they made the announcement. We were grateful for this.
He, like many others tries to lead as normal a life as he can. Yes, this includes going on flights, and a flight is a little different because of recirculated air, and distance from medical help.

I know someone who can eat peanuts but is allergic to Brazil nuts. So yes the allergy does vary.

We are grateful to everyone who has the humanity to refrain from peanuts when asked, when peanuts can be life threatening for the allergy sufferers. We would certainly refrain from anything on a flight that could endanger another passenger.

Nobody liked peanuts more than me. I have survived without them.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)

Edited at 11:27 PM.
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by robby-99 View Post
I never knew that Virgin at a nut policy. I eat them on every plane journey I take unless an announcement is made.
But if you are so allergic to nuts that if someone eating them in your vicinity is a danger how do you even leave the house? How can you make sure that no vehicle you travel in has had no one just vacate it who was eating nuts?
People carry epi-pens etc and can usually quickly get out of a car / even a train if needs be to get away from the source of the problem. Its bit harder to get out of a plane at 40,000 ft any time soon.

healthguidance/entry/...Allergens.html

People who suffer are sadly at risk every day.

Edited at 11:32 PM.
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
anniebee65
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by georgemac View Post
Nobody liked peanuts more than me. I have survived without them.
Same. I think you have to witness a severe anaphylactic shock to realise just how much that persons life is in danger. Our home is a peanut free zone now.
anniebee65 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List