Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Feb 18, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Virgin Rewards flights and APD

We have just tried to book 3 Economy tickets to New York using Virgin Miles and we were told that our 14 year old daughter needs to pay the full taxes and charges for her flight.

I was surprised that, as a teen, she would still need to pay the APD portion of the taxes and charges. Unfortunately I have been unable to find any info on the Virgin website but I was just surprised.

Anyone actually managed to book Virgin reward seats and had the APD refunded/discounted?
Old 18 Feb 18, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

This may help:

money/guides/what-...money-back.htm

Looks like it will be customer services at Virgin that need to do it.
Old 18 Feb 18, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Strange one that as under 16's are supposed be to exempt in economy. Can only suggest you phone back and ask a supervisor to confirm the position.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Strange one that as under 16's are supposed be to exempt in economy. Can only suggest you phone back and ask a supervisor to confirm the position.
To be fair to the Flying club agent, she did check with her manager while I was on the phone. Her manager confirmed that there was no discount for under 16s. Just thought it was odd as they use the APD as a reason to charge such high "taxes and fees" on the tickets and then say you can't not pay it for people that aren't eligible for it.

Just wondered whether anyone else on the forum had experienced this. I know most people use miles for PE and Upper fares so its not relevant (kids pay APD on higher classed fares) but thought someone may have booked economy.
Old 18 Feb 18, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Bizarre, you can't charge a government imposed tax if it's not valid. I think this is why their website makes you call when booking for teens. I would call again, ask if the call is being recorded, and then ask them why they are charging a tax that your daughter is exempt from.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Bizarre, you can't charge a government imposed tax if it's not valid. I think this is why their website makes you call when booking for teens. I would call again, ask if the call is being recorded, and then ask them why they are charging a tax that your daughter is exempt from.
I thought it was odd but they were quite adamant. Even when they read the breakdown of charges (GB tax £78) and I commented I just got the "that's what the charge is, nothing I can do" type answer.

I thought I might be able to find something on the Virgin website but there's no mention of it.

Just seems a bit off but, ultimately, if I want the tickets then I'm going to have to pay what Virgin says I need to pay.
Old 18 Feb 18, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Not ideal but as you say pay it to secure the booking, then submit a refund claim with loola30's link appears to be the way go then.
Old 18 Feb 18, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

I'm on live chat with them regarding something else and just queried it. You can claim it back via live chat or over the phone apparently. There was no quibble from the agent- that was just the response straight away when I asked.
Old 18 Feb 18, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Wish I'd spoken to that agent!

Thanks for the update

Edit: Just so I know, who do you phone to claim it back? Flying Club?

Edited at 06:18 PM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
Edit: Just so I know, who do you phone to claim it back? Flying Club?
Contact customer services* 0344 209 7777