Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Feb 18, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Tynxuk
Very Serious Dibber

Random tipping question

I understand the table service tipping and mousekeeping from our previous visit but this time we are doing things a bit (whole lot) different. Last time we had a car for the full duration but this time we have 1 day car hire to get us from mco and returning it after check in at POR on day 2 then relying completely on Disney transport.

I'm sure I read somewhere to tip the DME driver, is this right and if so how much?

As we will try to check in at POR early and our room won't be ready we may have to leave our luggage with bell services to collect when we return, do we tip for this and again if so how much?

and finally I will be having an instacart delivery at some point (probably before we check in at POR for drinks the first evening and breakfast) do I have to tip the delivery driver and again if so how much?

I don't want to tip if its not the norm but equally don't want to leave them short if it is, TIA.
Tynxuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
With regard to Bell Sevices I tip $5 for them to deliver our 2 lockers and the same when they collect them.
However they are so heavy I think I may increase that as I feel awful watching them struggle!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

DME I think we give $3 for two cases, it is just pushing them in and pulling them out.
We give bell services $5 for delivering the two cases to our room, we just go to their desk and leave them and call down from our room when we're there.

Not too sure if these are the correct amounts though
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Be aware that the locals ie Americans, don't tip the MDE drivers... When we tipped him as he put on and took off our case a he was quite suprised and said it was only us Brits that tip them. So make what you will of that...

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
EcosseDibb
Getting Excited

We usually tip bell services $1-$2 per case, depending on how far the room is or how heavy the cases are. What really p's me off if when you give the cases to someone when you pull up outside, so you tip them, who then passes the luggage trolley to someone else inside reception who then brings it up to your room...

DME we chuck him a couple of dollars, but as above it doesn't seem to be the norm. Most people getting off don't seem to tip them.
EcosseDibb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

It didn’t occur to me to tip DME but some do.

As for bell services, when we arrived at POR we took our stuff straight to our room ourselves - didn’t occur to us to do otherwise. However when we stayed at SSR a CM took us and our luggage in a golf cart to the room and brought up the luggage. We tipped him $5 for that. Don’t know if POR do the same?
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
chelynnah
VIP Dibber

chelynnah's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
We’ve read to tip DME only when they’re helping with your luggage onboard then it’s $1-2 per case. So because we collected our own luggage and they loaded and unloaded it we tipped them. If we’d had them collected from the airport for delivery later to our room I may not have based on previous advice. We chose to just take ours with because it seemed a faff with international travellers not getting the special tags, and I’m a bit of a control freak. I wanted to know my luggage was there
WDW several trips as a child; WDW 1993 on working vacation; DLP Sept 2003 - Newport Bay Hotel; WDW January 2007 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; DLP Sept 2008 - DLH; WDW/US/BG January 2013 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; WDW/US and MVMCP Nov 2015 - offsite townhouse; DLP Sept 2016 - Hotel B&B; WDW Feb 2017 - POFQ; DLP June 2017 - SL GF; DLP Sept 2017 - NPB CC; DLP Nov 2018 - SL; WDW Feb 2019 - WDW Princess Half POFQ; DLP Sept 2019 - SL & DLH;
chelynnah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Mobile

We didnt tip dme driver either 😐 we also take luggage to room ourselves ! We tipped the guy who brought our garden grocer order $5 ...hope that was ok
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List