Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Feb 18, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
katy341
Imagineer

Mobile Going through a toll without paying

Last night stuoid sat nav took us a very bizare way and i think (i have no sense of direction! ) It was coming off the i4 onto ponciana boulevard? Anyway it made us pass a toll that was not manned and xorrect change only of 1 dollar we had nothing near 1 dollar in change! So had no choice but to go through. So what happens now?
katy341 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
EllenClaire
Imagineer

EllenClaire's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
this happened to us last year so my DH went and bought a money order i think from Publix and we posted it off to them he was panicking he would get a huge fine when we got back to the UK from the car hire company never heard anything since so presume all ok
Sheraton World Resort 2004,International Spa & Plaza 2006,The Fountains 2007,The Lighthouse Key Resort 2008,Clarion Inn & Suites 2010,Sunset Lakes Dibb Villa Sept 2012, Liki Tiki Village May 2015,Encantada Resort May 2016,High Grove Resort Dibb Villa May 2017,Encantada Resort May 2018,Encantada Resort May 2019, Encantada Resort May 2020
EllenClaire is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Chunky81
Excited about Disney

Who is the rental from? You may just get toll and daily charge but they do vary on terms?
Chunky81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I've done this, although not always in Florida. You usually get the toll plus a $10-15 Processing fee if you don't have a sunpass/ezpass. I did it a couple of years ago in Orlando and it must have taken 6 months to hear from the rental company. Even when my EZpass hasn't been picked up, it takes a long time to get a bill-so long I cannot always remember the incident. They do send a photo of the car in NY though.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
At most, if you are with Alamo or Avis, you will be charged the face value of the toll plus an admin charge of about $3.75. It will hit your CC up to 6 weeks later.

A camera at the plaza will have taken a photo of your plate.

Mick
Old 19 Feb 18, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
james weir
Imagineer

Florida Law allows for any car to run 2 tolls,as this was a hire car you
do not know the history of the car if it run a toll in the past.If the car
has never run a toll you will hear nothing.Florida Law permits if the toll
is not paid it can be seized,therefore if the car rental receives a
notice that the car has run a toll then they will pay it on your behalf
and charge your credit card which can take up to 2 months as they
do not want to have a car sold off.Every company has different
t&Cs,if a transponder is fitted to the car then it will have picked up
the toll was run and the rental company will be invoiced.
It will not affect any future visit to the USA.However if you receive
a ticket for a driving offence of any nature and you decide not to
pay it,then in the future you decide to visit any part of the States
you will be arrested at immigration and made to pay the fine and
you will be refused entry .
james weir is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
At most, if you are with Alamo or Avis, you will be charged the face value of the toll plus an admin charge of about $3.75. It will hit your CC up to 6 weeks later.

A camera at the plaza will have taken a photo of your plate.

Mick
Will it not have activated the toll pass if it's avis meaning it'll be $19.75 plus any tolls? That's what we got charged when it didn't register that we'd paid cash.
Old 19 Feb 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 View Post
Will it not have activated the toll pass if it's avis meaning it'll be $19.75 plus any tolls? That's what we got charged when it didn't register that we'd paid cash.
Yes if it was Avis it will have activated their toll pass scheme which is $3.95 per day or $19.75 per rental month.

All explained here.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Car...mes-p-517.html

Not sure why you were charged $19.75 unless you continued to use the Sunpass lanes on more days.

Mick

Edited at 02:43 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. The car will have had a photograph taken of the rear tag. Florida doesn't use the Transponder facility but PlatePass.
Depending on whom you rented from we can give you an exact figure of what you will pay.

Don't fret, it's not a massive amount and what's done is done. Bigger things to worry about in life.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Yes if it was Avis it will have activated their toll pass scheme which is $3.75 per day or $19.75 per rental month.

All explained here.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Car...mes-p-517.html

Not sure why you were charged $19.75 unless you continued to use the Sunpass lanes on more days.

Mick
Sorry I didn't realise. No idea why we had the charges as that was the only toll we used that holiday. Thankfully I took photos as we went through the toll showing the amount paid so managed to get refunded by the people who run the tolls on the 429. So if we used the sunpass lanes next trip on only 2 days for example would it just be $3.75 per day plus the tolls? We're with Budget next time but believe they work the same as Avis?