Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Feb 18, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

I went private in the end, I was referred to gynae for something different actually, waiting list was 16 weeks, I was in pain, periods were horrendous, bloating, constantly needing the loo, I would be up 6, 7, 8 times some nights. I then went to see consultant privately and had ultrasound and blood tests and Mri the same day. I was diagnosed with fibroids, large ovarian cysts, and endometriosis. I am seen every 3 months currently for ultrasound and bloods, my consultant is reassured that it's not OC however if any symptoms change i can be seen quickly.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post

My auntie is in a hospice at the moment 5 years on from being diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer - she's put up a hell of a fight.

Her symptoms were predominantly the bloating, she was also constipated and she just didnt feel "well". Almost as if she had a month long flu.

She was fobbed off with IBS and went to A&E and was given an enema which of course didn't help. In the end she went private who have been fantastic.

It was eventually her bloods that showed a rise in her CA125 level of over 1500. I don't know if high CA125 levels are in every ovarian cancer patient - but at the very least i'd ask the GP for a blood test.

If you experience any type of bloating then persist until you get to the root cause.

Edited at 11:23 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CLB_14 View Post
My auntie is in a hospice at the moment 5 years on from being diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer - she's put up a hell of a fight.

Her symptoms were predominantly the bloating, she was also constipated and she just didnt feel "well". Almost as if she had a month long flu.

She was fobbed off with IBS and went to A&E and was given an enema which of course didn't help. In the end she went private who have been fantastic.

It was eventually her bloods that showed a rise in her CA125 level of over 1500. I don't know if high CA125 levels are in every ovarian cancer patient - but at the very least i'd ask the GP for a blood test.

If you experience any type of bloating then persist until you get to the root cause.

"Normal" CA125 levels in a healthy lady is between 0 and 35. When I started having problems, my reading was at 34. A month later it was 525. The blood test doesn't necessarily mean it's ovarian cancer, it can just indicate that something is amiss with the ovaries.
Despite no longer having ovaries any more, I still have to have the CA125 test and my level is now at 6.
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Welly View Post
So glad to hear you kicked it’s backside and have come out on top, so many gp’s are ignorant of the symptoms, glad you were seen quickly.
Thank you. I was very lucky xx
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gev View Post
"Normal" CA125 levels in a healthy lady is between 0 and 35. When I started having problems, my reading was at 34. A month later it was 525. The blood test doesn't necessarily mean it's ovarian cancer, it can just indicate that something is amiss with the ovaries.
Despite no longer having ovaries any more, I still have to have the CA125 test and my level is now at 6.
I am so pleased that you had a lucky escape from this horrid disease. Long may it continue.

xx
Old 22 Feb 18, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
I lost my lovely mum, she died of ovarian cancer.. She was only 45 and she was very slim, no smoking and don't drink much. That was 43 years ago... I missed her very much...

My sister in law and friend came to see me last night and we had few drinks for my early birthday.

My sister in law was talking about my mum and she said doctor keep giving her tablets for one year as my mum was complained sore back back and forth then she fainted when she was walking to beach with friend and immediately send her to hospital and they found out that she had ovarian cancer.

ovarian cancer is silent killer but if doctor would have listen my mum at first place ... she would have been here...

One year with sore back...
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022

Edited at 08:19 PM.
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Gev View Post
I also have HE4 blood tests as well as CA125. My first reading of the CA125 was in the 300's- Mine is raised due to my endometriosis and thankfully not OC.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

Thank you. Just been reading online too re symptoms and one is never been pregnant or had children.. I have a number of these symptoms so I have just made an appointment to see doctor. Can't fit me in until the 15 March mind.. my symptoms are:

Bloating
Pelvic pain - although mainly it's a constant niggle on my lower right side - near my hip bone.
Fatigue - not all the time, it comes in waves sometimes I feel absolutely exhausted.
Urinary frequency - this interrupts sleep and usually 3 or 4 times a night
C&D

Now I am really in a bit of a panic - I wish I could see my doctor sooner
Old 23 Feb 18, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Thank you. Just been reading online too re symptoms and one is never been pregnant or had children.. I have a number of these symptoms so I have just made an appointment to see doctor. Can't fit me in until the 15 March mind.. my symptoms are:

Bloating
Pelvic pain - although mainly it's a constant niggle on my lower right side - near my hip bone.
Fatigue - not all the time, it comes in waves sometimes I feel absolutely exhausted.
C&D

My aunt went to A&E as she was so worried (they misdiagnosed her mind, but that may have been an isolated thing).

Personally, i'd go to a walk in centre or even A&E but I think that's because i've experienced the emotions of ovarian cancer with a family member and i'm hyper aware. I don't know if its the wrong or right thing to suggest.

Also, dont panic. There are so many other things it could be, which is often why it goes undetected as it can be mistaken for something as simple as IBS.
Old 23 Feb 18, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bridget View Post

Bloating
C&D

If you are really worried, then yes go to a walk in Centre or get advice on the 111 telephone number; they may get you an appointment to see a doctor sooner. In the meantime, try and keep a daily symptom diary to help you when you do see the doctor. Good luck and try not to worry; as the previous poster has said, it could be something else, but be firm with your doctors surgery until you're sorted xxxx