Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Feb 18, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
mozzman
Trainee Dibber

my routes seem to have road tolls

I have googled a few places to get to like my villa from mco and places I might go from the villa and they have tolls on them,i can't remember doing a toll last time from indian point although it was 2007.i was wondering if there are alternate routes on most highways away from tolls or how much these are if I go on them,i will be staying at indian creek if this helps
mozzman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Why not look at the dibb villa map choose Indian Creek and then select from the list where you want to go the directions on there might be more helpful
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
kat90
VIP Dibber

If you’re looking on google maps, look up the directions then click options. There will be an option to avoid tolls. Just tick that and it’ll give you alternative routes.
kat90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

going to and from MCO avoiding the tolls is doable, but it's a major pain in the back
plus, those are manned (or accept quarters) and you can choose to pay the $1.50 or so to avoid a major headache and long unecessary miles.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

We used a couple of tolls regularly where we stayed one time (not sure where) - the toll was 25c each time, certainly not worth paying $20 for a toll pass for it. There's a Florida toll finder if you have a quick google - it tells you how much it costs for your journey.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Yordaman
Excited about Disney

As above, getting from MCO to your villa is probably possible without going through a toll... but what a pain, just for a few dollars! Like most others, our direct route was south/west, towards Celebration, and I inadvertently had 'no tolls' set on the sat nav (Navmii) and had I followed it, I'd have gone down to 417 from the airport but then headed east, instead of west. Goodness knows where I'd have been sent, or how long it would have taken.

I ignored the sat nav and just went west along 417. Going through the tolls is very easy, just watch the signs and either have the cash to hand or use the Sunpass transponder that might be on your car. Smallish notes at the manned booths are accepted (you can even ask for change in quarters for future use).

The one thing to watch for is if you come across an unmanned toll (e.g. exits J2 and J3 from 417 heading west). For these you need the right coins to hand to throw into the bucket, and so you need to make sure you have these, either by getting from the earlier manned booths or getting change in the airport.

But imho, this is only a minor thing to organise and saves you being taken miles out of your way to avoid tolls.
Yordaman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Yordaman View Post
or use the Sunpass transponder that might be on your car
Rental cars do not use a transponder in Florida. it's toll by plate. The plate gets photographed, and the rental agency bills you accordingly

but, the cost can range from *fair* to *extortionate* depending on who you rent with

alamo costs $3.95 per 24hrs period where a toll in incurred (capped at $20)
avis bills you for the whole rental period (capped at $20)
Dollar will bill you $100 per week

just check Mr Morrow's guide on tolls, and/or read here sunpass/rentalcar
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Never heard of a sat nav set to avoid tolls taking you on to a toll road !

Remember there are two exits from MCO, the south on to 417 where you will encounter manned tolls up to where it merges with I4 (there are some exits with unmanned tolls eg Celebration) or the north where there were two toll manned booths (might only be one now) until the merge with I4. You can take other routes to avoid these but is it worth it for a few dollars.

What you might be seeing on the route given by Google Maps is going north on 429 off I4 towards your villa which is a toll road but you would only encounter one unmanned booth at an exit

In Florida, all the car hire companies use plate pass recognition now rather than transponders (although there seems to have been an issue recently with Avis) and depending on which company you hire with, if you have to go through a toll without paying the company will bill your card with the toll plus an administration fee which could be just for the day or the whole period of your stay.

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
There are Dibbers who suggest that you can get to your villa area avoiding tolls but it takes you so far east in Kissimmee that you might think you're nearer Daytona.

Time for my regular toll plaza photos I think.

Leave MCO and pick up 417 south and you'll get to this toll. The pay cash or use Sunpass debate is for another day but if you choose to pay cash all the time just keep right give them no more than a $20 bill and ask for change and they'll give you a stash of quarters.

You'll probably go through two of these at around $1.50 each. I don't know where you'll leave the 417 but some off ramps are unmanned like this at j2 off 417. This was $1 (four quarters) last December.

There are no cashless tolls in Florida other than on the Turnpike near Miami in Dade County and some in downtown Tampa.

Mick
Old 21 Feb 18, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I don't understand the stress about paying in the region of $6.00 toll charge after paying thousands for the holiday. If you really want to avoid the tolls follow these directions. Leave the garage and join the south access road. Ignore the turn off for the 417 and continue under the flyover. You are now on the 527A, single carriageway. At the first major T junction turn right onto the 530, which name changes to the Simpson Road. Continue until it joins the 192 in Kissimmee. It isn't the quickest route but you didn't ask for that. There is another toll free route to north International Drive. And none of them take hours.

Edited at 02:44 PM.
7SeasSailor is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List