Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Apr 13, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
RC22
Very Serious Dibber

The highest grossing movie franchise of all time will always get new fans as the movies are shown every school holiday (also the books will continue to be read for generations) - It's the Star Wars of its generation.
Maybe won't be as popular as now which will be good news as it's a real bottleneck! I can't wait for other areas in IoA to get some love so the crowd becomes more of an even spread (rumours of a new ride for the JP area next year are music to my ears) .

I too am gutted they got rid of Jaws, glad I rode a few times before they binned it. Mind you, it had a good run and things change. In time the HP area(s) will get binned and a new generation will be harking back to the old days of FJ and Gringott's...

I'll likely be pushing up daisys by then though!
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International Nov 2011 I-Drive Homewood Suites Oct 2012 The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Palms, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise , Aug 2017 Emerald Island Oct 2019 Emerald Island & Vero Beach Aug 22 Glenbrook villa The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 13, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jonnykeogh View Post
I'm pretty sure all of it will be gone. They may sell nostalgic memorabilia in the gift shops etc, but like the Back to the Future ride, they will eliminate all parts of Jaws in that area.

It will be very much Harry Potter in that area, and like Hogsmeade in IOA, they won't let anything else be visible once inside the area, as they want to keep the magic intact. Notice how there is minimal areas in Hogsmeade where you can see other areas of the park? This is to make you feel you are even more immersed into the Harry Potter world!

The DeLorean from BTTF did make a comeback in a different area of the park, and not sure if it is still in Universal, so you may find the Jaws shark in another area of the park as it did draw in huge crowds for a photo. It was customary for us to get a pic, even though we had tons from previous visits!
The Delorean (and Doc Brown on his bike) were still at Universal when we last went in 2011, not sure if still now? Shame if they did get rid. You have to have the shark pic though don't you? We loved going back with a second child to do it. Fingers crossed stays for years to come.

I think WWOHP will have a lot more longevity than 10 years, my daughter has grown up with it & my 4 year old has only just seen the first film. Also, I think the 'world' can be enjoyed without even having read the books or seen the films as it's fun and magical. I'm sure plenty like Jurassic Park just because it's dinosaurs and may not have seen the film.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 13, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Hmmm, not even visited HP for the 1st time yet (Hurry June! ) but I can already feel a 2015 trip
Old 14 Apr 13, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Last time I was there HP was just being built so hopefully it will be all finished and maybe a wee bit quieter by the time we go in 2015 and we can go for a ride on the hogwarts express
Old 15 Apr 13, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
when would this be set to open
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 13, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
KBRB
slightly serious Dibber

To be fair HP doubled attendance did it not?

4 things that will draw people from all over the world.

Harry Potter
Star Wars
Star Trek
Lord of the rings.
More Harry = more profit
KBRB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 13, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post

The Delorean and Doc Brown were still at Universal at Easter this year, Jaws is still hanging by the water front, Picture had

Was gutted that the whole Jaws attraction had gone, this was my first visit and having watched the Holiday programme on TV in the 90's showing the Jaws attraction it was something that I associated with a holiday in Florida. A bit like the whales at Seaworld.

Did do the HP rides, the ride in the castle (name escapes me!) which I queued for 105mins (apparently) was great!
However the whole HP world was wasted on me! I shall say no more.
Old 18 Apr 13, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
jonnykeogh
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by emmasfabulous View Post
The Delorean (and Doc Brown on his bike) were still at Universal when we last went in 2011, not sure if still now? Shame if they did get rid. You have to have the shark pic though don't you? We loved going back with a second child to do it. Fingers crossed stays for years to come.

I think WWOHP will have a lot more longevity than 10 years, my daughter has grown up with it & my 4 year old has only just seen the first film. Also, I think the 'world' can be enjoyed without even having read the books or seen the films as it's fun and magical. I'm sure plenty like Jurassic Park just because it's dinosaurs and may not have seen the film.
I expect the Jaws shark will be there until they are almost ready to open Potter phase 2. They will either move it somewhere else or get rid completely as they need the Potter area to look authentic. Such a shame as Jaws was the main reason I went to Universal Studios along with the Mummy.

I think the Potter franchise will draw in masses of people for years to come as all generations love the films, books and characters. Kids have grown up with it, and they will take their kids to see the Harry Potter world, just as adults who love it are taking their kids (who also love it). It will not go away for a long long time. It has more appeal than the classic movies such as Jaws, BTTF, King Kong and ET as it is modern, fresh and cool. The old classics are often forgotten by the younger generation, hence why Jaws, BTTF and King Kong have all gone. The Hogwarts Castle is amazing, and the ride is one of the best I've ever ridden, so I cannot see Harry Potter going away anytime soon. Which I think is a good thing, but hope Universal don't go too mad, and I think Transformers was built purely to take a bit of limelight away from the ongoing construction of Potter phase 2.

I'm really excited by the update, but I do hope Universal don't forget where their roots are.
jonnykeogh is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 13, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
GingaNinja
Helping Minnie

This looks very exciting and think ill have to plan a trip prob towards the end of 2014 i think to see this all i think
GingaNinja is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 13, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post

The guy who plays Doc Brown is actually English. I got talking to him last year.